Fantasy Baseball 2016

Huskers1236

22 minutes ago, Veegs said:

I think we're at 11 confirmed? I think either 12 or 14 is realistic, with the top 6 making the playoffs. We had 14 last year, which was good - drafting is more crucial with more teams, and drafting is (to me) very fun.

Yeah drafting is one of the best parts if not the best in some leagues.  Yeah 6 playoff teams seems good with the top 2 teams getting a bye.  Hopefully we can find one more person to get to 12.

We have lots of time to grab a few more teams.  Keep the conversation going and keep this thread bumped, we'll find a few others.  I've had a couple other guys let me know they can't play from last year, so I think most everybody outside of 1 or 2 has let me know that they can play or not.  Redghostx said he could play if we absolutely need somebody but was going to be pretty busy.  He was our champ year 1, so good player if he joins in.

On 2/15/2016 at 4:26 PM, Keyser Soze said:

This is obviously head-to-head and not rotisserie, right?

Keyser did you want in?

We have 11 right now and I'd like 12 or 14, no big deal really either way. 

Also, I have set up the league on ESPN.  If you have not sent me your email (everybody except stoltzjl77 and wsuskee) pm them to me so that I can send out the invite.  I have set up some basic parameters you all can check out.  It's essentially the same as last year I believe.  I set up a draft time and date, but it can very easily be changed, I just had to input something for the initial setup.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

Keyser did you want in?

We have 11 right now and I'd like 12 or 14, no big deal really either way. 

Also, I have set up the league on ESPN.  If you have not sent me your email (everybody except stoltzjl77 and wsuskee) pm them to me so that I can send out the invite.  I have set up some basic parameters you all can check out.  It's essentially the same as last year I believe.  I set up a draft time and date, but it can very easily be changed, I just had to input something for the initial setup.  Thanks.

I appreciate the invitation but I will pass since it's H2H. I've even stopped playing "normal" fantasy football in favor of straight points now because I find the randomness of H2H too frustrating. Good luck to everyone and have a fun season.

Waiting on 2 guys to get me email addresses and think I have a 12th if Hxckid wants in.  I emailed him earlier today.  He did a good job running the league but I took over because I felt like it should be someone that is active on the board that is running a league where about $1000 in prize money is up for grabs.  Hope everyone understands. 

12 guys gives us a good league.  We can either stay there or get up to 14.  I would cap it there.  16 was a lot last year.  If the 3 remaining confirm and get in, I'll wait to add anybody else until they have a partner to come in with so that our numbers stay even.  If that would end up being the case, Redghostx had said he could play in a pinch, but had other priorities coming up and wouldn't be able to devote a lot of time.  Excuses, excuses.:notme:

Thanks for setting up the espn league, Huskers. 

If there are 12 teams, then are 4 teams in the playoffs with no byes or 6 teams with a bye for the top 2?  I assume with 14 teams there are 6 teams in the playoffs with a bye for the top 2?

I don't know if espn format allows it, but is it an option to have 2-week H2H matchups during the playoffs for the final round or 1.5-week H2H matchups during 2 rounds?  That would help reduce a little of the random variation that occurs during 1 week H2H in the playoffs, get ace-type starters 2 starts, and help teams account for key players on actual MLB playoff teams getting days off during the final week of the season for those in the final round or the playoff for 3rd place.

As for draft date, I think either the Sunday before the season opens (March 27) or previous Sunday (March 20) might be a good option.  I like the earlier start time that you scheduled of 6 EST.  Last year got a little late for those that had to get to work on Monday, at least here in Minnesota.  Earlier Sunday afternoon would be okay, too, IMO.  Nothing like drafting a baseball team and drinking beer on a Sunday afternoon :)

1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Waiting on 2 guys to get me email addresses and think I have a 12th if Hxckid wants in.  I emailed him earlier today.  He did a good job running the league but I took over because I felt like it should be someone that is active on the board that is running a league where about $1000 in prize money is up for grabs.  Hope everyone understands. 

12 guys gives us a good league.  We can either stay there or get up to 14.  I would cap it there.  16 was a lot last year.  If the 3 remaining confirm and get in, I'll wait to add anybody else until they have a partner to come in with so that our numbers stay even.  If that would end up being the case, Redghostx had said he could play in a pinch, but had other priorities coming up and wouldn't be able to devote a lot of time.  Excuses, excuses.:notme:

Calling me out?!  I retired undefeated from the brickpicker Fantasy Baseball league and am willing to help out to fill a league  but it took a lot of work to win and a lot of waiver wire pickups at 12:01AM Pacific time.

10 minutes ago, redghostx said:

Calling me out?!  I retired undefeated from the brickpicker Fantasy Baseball league and am willing to help out to fill a league  but it took a lot of work to win and a lot of waiver wire pickups at 12:01AM Pacific time.

HaHa.  Just giving you a hard time. Both years have been very competitive so of course I want you to play, but I totally understand your circumstances. 

23 minutes ago, meowsmeowsmeows said:

Thanks for setting up the espn league, Huskers. 

If there are 12 teams, then are 4 teams in the playoffs with no byes or 6 teams with a bye for the top 2?  I assume with 14 teams there are 6 teams in the playoffs with a bye for the top 2?

I don't know if espn format allows it, but is it an option to have 2-week H2H matchups during the playoffs for the final round or 1.5-week H2H matchups during 2 rounds?  That would help reduce a little of the random variation that occurs during 1 week H2H in the playoffs, get ace-type starters 2 starts, and help teams account for key players on actual MLB playoff teams getting days off during the final week of the season for those in the final round or the playoff for 3rd place.

As for draft date, I think either the Sunday before the season opens (March 27) or previous Sunday (March 20) might be a good option.  I like the earlier start time that you scheduled of 6 EST.  Last year got a little late for those that had to get to work on Monday, at least here in Minnesota.  Earlier Sunday afternoon would be okay, too, IMO.  Nothing like drafting a baseball team and drinking beer on a Sunday afternoon :)

If we stay with 12, then yes, 4 teams in playoffs.  If we get to 14, it will be 6.  I have it set up now with the understanding we'll fill the 14 slots.  If we don't, I'll amend the playoffs to 4.  I will check on length of time for playoff matchups.  I know I saw something about length of matchups, but thought it was for regular season.  Draft day is totally up to you guys.  I think last year took 2-3 hours if I remember right.  I put it 6pm, but honestly don't even know what time zone that was in.  I would prefer 7 Central, but not sure where all the guys are at and Pacific guys may need time to get home if we do it during the week.  A weekend, like Sunday, is probably preferable.

On 2/16/2016 at 11:07 AM, jaxman said:

The prize structure worked well last year in my opinion.  And from my inherent bias as mainly an investor, I would lean more towards awarding sets that are theoretically close to retirement as opposed to something like Ghostbusters HQ.

I agree with this point as both collector and investor, but would certainly like to win either the Ghostbusters HQ set or SHIELD Helicarrier.  If not those for 1st place, then perhaps some combinations of Sandcrawler, Ewok Village, older modulars, Tower Bridge, or Slave I.

Just no UCS Assault on Hoth, please :)

7 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

If we stay with 12, then yes, 4 teams in playoffs.  If we get to 14, it will be 6.  I have it set up now with the understanding we'll fill the 14 slots.  If we don't, I'll amend the playoffs to 4.  I will check on length of time for playoff matchups.  I know I saw something about length of matchups, but thought it was for regular season.  Draft day is totally up to you guys.  I think last year took 2-3 hours if I remember right.  I put it 6pm, but honestly don't even know what time zone that was in.  I would prefer 7 Central, but not sure where all the guys are at and Pacific guys may need time to get home if we do it during the week.  A weekend, like Sunday, is probably preferable.

Thanks!

It's opening day of spring training, so I'm already jazzed for the draft.

• Like 1

My 2 cents:

I think the entry fee of 70-75 is good, I agree with whoever said cap it at 100.

H2H is a good format I am for that.

Prize payouts, 1st 2nd 3rd is my vote, if you paid $70 to enter, and win a polybag it's the same as nothing imo.

I would like to suggest a possible roster change if we would all vote on it, make it a little bit more like a real team consisting of something to this nature;

C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, DH, LF, CF, RF (so 9 players like a real team) I think the pitching the way it is will be fine.

**so cut back the 2 UTIL slots to 1 UTIL slot (like having the DH)

**eliminate both the 2B/SS & 1B/3B slots, lets make this realistic 9 player offense, if need be maybe just have 1 IF slot or both UTIL if we want extra slots 

** make the OF a less generic by having LF CF RF assigned 

Any thoughts on adjusting the roster let's get some conversation going, the season is slowly creeping up & fast, just bought some MLB tickets this morning!

I cleared out the 1b/3b and 2b/ss positions.  We didn't need those and not sure why I had left them in.  Utility slots are nice for guys that play multiple positions and gives you different ways to construct your lineup when guys are off that day or hurt.  Assigning OF positions is a huge pain in the ass and most guys couldn't even tell you which one a guy plays. 

We probably need to address the entry fee.  If everybody is cool with $75, let's go with that.  If there are serious problems with it, then we can talk about it.  Since it was $70 last year, I doubt it will be a big deal.  I don't think I'd want to go higher, though, as this should still be for fun.  Once we know what our pool is then we can talk about prizes and prize structure.

I will have you guys paypal me as a friend so there's no fees, and I'll make the purchases up front so there's no surprises like something retiring.  I don't see any of our possible "big" prizes retiring anytime soon, but you never know.  I'll try to make every dollar count but will have to make some room for shipping prizes.  I suppose I could always dropship from Amazon, but we take the risk of it being gone when the time comes.  There are also league pool money sites that hold onto money as well, I can look into those, but I'd like to think I'm pretty reputable around here that you'd trust me. 

Everything sounds good.  I think it is best to get the sets ahead of time and just take more than enough for shipping.  I agree Paypal is the best way and should be the easiest for you.  I use LeagueSafe for my bracket pool but mainly because of the large amount of entries (we had over 150 last year).  For a group of this size I think we are best sticking with paypal.

On 2/18/2016 at 2:44 PM, Huskers1236 said:

I cleared out the 1b/3b and 2b/ss positions.  We didn't need those and not sure why I had left them in.  Utility slots are nice for guys that play multiple positions and gives you different ways to construct your lineup when guys are off that day or hurt.  Assigning OF positions is a huge pain in the ass and most guys couldn't even tell you which one a guy plays.

In Mr. Burns voice....Excellent .....also i am cool with buying the sets in advance and having them be held. are we going to vote on what sets we want as prizes?

The current draft date & time is not going to work for me. I am in the eastern time zone, & I work 2nd shift 3pm-11pm I am normally off Friday & Monday, either of those days or nights would be great. I would have no objection for any other day but it would need to be a early morning, or a noon, perhaps a midnight draft? although not sure what time zones everyone is in so that needs some consideration.    

Edited by Deanfjr