60124 - Volcano Exploration Base

TheOrcKing

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I guess the City Volcano series is taking an exit late this year?

Looking at the last, Deep Sea Base series... was introduced in May 2015, saw 10-20% discounts in early 2016, then 30-35% discounts in summer / fall 2016 before dying out at most retailers near the end of 2016.  Still some at ToysRUs, but Amazon prices are up around 50-ish percent over discounted prices of last summer.  Biggest winner appears to be 60095 Exploration Vessel up about 60%.

The Volcano series came out in May 2016. I just noticed prices coming down, now about 20-30% off at most retailers, and not many on the shelf at my local Lego store (some are already sold out there). So these will dry up end of 2017? Will they be up 50% or more this time next year?

Guest TabbyBoy

I bought 99x 60124  from Tesco before Xmas at £29 each. I'm glad that I flipped most of them for £10 profit each soon after as it's constantly discounted and plentiful enough to NOT reach RRP after EOL. However, it's a good parter-outer and I've been selling Volcano/Drone/Dumper (bags: 2x blank,1,7,8) for £25 cash and Truck/Trailer/Excavator (bags:2,3,4,5,6,stickers)  for £30 cash quite easily. By splitting them like this, you don't have to cut the sticker sheet.

The 60095 Deep Sea Exploration Vessel is performing badly in the UK and hasn't even got close to RRP on eBay. As with most large CITY sets, the recent crazy sales have killed them!

Guest TabbyBoy
30 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

The Volcano series came out in May 2016. I just noticed prices coming down, now about 20-30% off at most retailers, and not many on the shelf at my local Lego store (some are already sold out there). So these will dry up end of 2017? Will they be up 50% or more this time next year?

This has been massively discounted in the UK from the start and is often -50% or less. There's a huge amount available in the UK still which may take many months to clear. Due to this, I think it's a dreadful investment unless you can buy at -75%. As for it going up 50% (assuming you mean from RRP), it's a snowball's chance in Hell ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

i have to agree. The previous Arctic subtheme was also a disater except for a couple of the smaller sets and, of course, the limited edition plane.

This set and the forthcoming jungle one look to be interchangeable - maybe only the big twin rotor helicopter will have some kind of rarity value down the line.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

... As for it going up 50% (assuming you mean from RRP),...

No... I mean up 50% over a typical summer discount price... here in US that price would be about 30 - 35% off RRP.  I'm not buying yet... but if I see these at 50% off, I may pick up a few. I think they'll bring in a solid return after retailers run out.