41178 - The Dragon Sanctuary

TheOrcKing

• 11 months later...

This set released in June 16 and retired before Xmas.  

Was in the lego sale for 20% off and was able to get on sale at other places. I'm guessing nobody really loaded up on these.

Selling for double RRP on ebay uk. Short shelf life has made this set into a very good set for investment.

17 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Was in the lego sale for 20% off and was able to get on sale at other places. I'm guessing nobody really loaded up on these.

Selling for double RRP on ebay uk. Short shelf life has made this set into a very good set for investment.

Plus ... it's got dragons ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 23. 1. 2017 at 1:27 PM, Mhd747 said:

thx for observing the market, I wouldnt notice myself, got one at local toy store for 40$

I posted up some sales of these very early January in the Sell Today thread, and noted its seemingly instant popularity. I saw them on 40% off Black Friday on Amazon, so picked up 3 to try the "Girls" lego out. Wish I could've gotten more. There seemed to be a driving demand from Australia in particular, I had many shipping inquiries! Sold all 3 in 48 hours of listing them. Certainly could've earned more! 

Guest TabbyBoy

This is a prime example of a "gem" that is very difficult to spot and makes LEGO investing so difficult these days. To be honest, I dismissed the Elves theme entirely and have never paid much attention to them but, I did notice the large discounts at Tesco and didn't bite thinking that they were too "Friends-like" and would be turkeys. Live and learn...

Edited by TabbyBoy

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

This is a prime example of a "gem" that is very difficult to spot and makes LEGO investing so difficult these days. To be honest, I dismissed the Elves theme entirely and have never paid much attention to them but, I did notice the large discounts at Tesco and didn't bite thinking that they were too "Friends-like" and would be turkeys. Live and learn...

This exactly. I have been buying a few of the Water dragon on Amazon for $12, should be hard to not double money there. Of course they'll probably choose to make that set for 3 years now.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Haay said:

I have a suspicion that all the Elves sets with dragons in them are going to do well after EOL... ;) 

The main theory this one did well is that, on the supply side, it was not widely distributed or hoarded and for demand, it was the centrepiece model to house all the baby dragon eggs. The dragon sets with longer shelf lives will have been targeted by the horde and the law of diminishing returns will likely apply.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:48 PM, Pietro said:
I loaded some
EU amazon prices are not as US ones are, maybe for xmas they will be
I'll be waitin'

Oh, so that's where all the stock went after 6 months, which caused 'early retirement'

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

LOL... I bought 54 of these at the end of last year (cleared out Asda), one of my very last purchases. I sold them all for £35 each (RRP), 2x flip. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I could've waited, but the profit came in very handy at the time. Finding gems like this and Raptor Escape is nearly impossible nowadays.

57 minutes ago, Pietro said:

I loaded some 1f609.png

EU amazon prices are not as US ones are, maybe for xmas they will be

I'll be waitin'

Lots of people loaded up, sad fact is every set nowadays is quietly "horded" people just don't want to post what there buying.

EU is a totally different market from US, most of the sets which explode in growth perform much less here.

The lego game is definitely changing, the best way is no longer to sit and wait for sets to mature 1-2 years after retirement, but to:

1) qf sets during initial launch period (21309 apollo).

2) Find a good deal during 3 for 2 / store clearance and play the quantity vs quality game i.e. £5 profit per small set with an RRP of £10, but sell 40 / 50 of the item.

3) Find a "normal" set like Dragon sanctuary which performs out of the ordinary. This involves stalking the sets which are due to retire, and judge from your local market to see if it will be in demand (i.e. mixels s9 / last bionicle wave in UK).

• Like 1

When someone rocks up with a current stock of more than 100, I will be impressed. The fact of the matter is that this is set is probably less hoarded now than 21309 Apollo, simply because supply was so tight and it was not a priority buy for the 99-of-everything-lot. Many, like Tabby sold too soon and now have plenty of time to regret that. The biggest threat to appreciation right now is dear Amazon making promises to fulfil that they can´t and won´t keep - see also Bionicle 2HY 2016.