10190 - Market Street

MarleyMoose

I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if needed. I'm wondering people opinions here on this set. After finding a cheap CC I'm thinking of acquiring all of the "Modular" sets for eventually down the road building a city something like Wakko. Maybe not as big though. There is a MS on CL for $600. I've sent an email asking for more details. The ad is probably from one of you guys anyway....

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tag/5444224009.html

I personally wouldn't pay $600 (pending instructions) but I'm willing to BL and/or check eBay often. I BL'ed this for less than $500 and I'd say $50-ish of those orders were for a Haunted House modular conversion. Prices are all over the place on eBay, but it's possible to land one for ~$500.

BTW I need to build them to verify parts, but I just received some modulars/modular-ish sets (Town Hall, Pet Shop, Haunted House w/o instructions, Town Plan, Cafe Corner) that will go up on BrickClassifieds soon.

Edited by Pedilego

Yeah...whatever...instructions are the new pseudo proof of originality.

Without them, you should assume it's Bricklink'ed and you are basically paying him for his time in getting all the parts.

Not worth it if you have a decent collection of parts and are willing to put in the time and effort yourself. That's why it's been sitting for so long. Anyone willing to pay that price is a serious collector. Any serious collector that's OK with not having the original instructions would just bricklink it themselves since only a few parts are rare and expensive.

It would be a different story for a green grocer since the correct sand green bricks are essentially impossible to get in the correct quantity.

Edited by grackleflint
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, grackleflint said:

Yeah...whatever...instructions are the new pseudo proof of originality.

Without them, you should assume it's Bricklink'ed and you are basically paying him for his time in getting all the parts.

Not worth it if you have a decent collection of parts and are willing to put in the time and effort yourself. That's why it's been sitting for so long. Anyone willing to pay that price is a serious collector. Any serious collector that's OK with not having the original instructions would just bricklink it themselves since only a few parts are rare and expensive.

It would be a different story for a green grocer since the correct sand green bricks are essentially impossible to get in the correct quantity.

you are 100% correct. 

to further add info, the harder a set is to 100% correctly bricklink (even listings w/o instructions), more it will appreciate. e.g.  10196 gc, 10179 ucs mf, 21021 marina bay sands, etc...  this is among the reasons earlier modulars are doing well including market street.  of the recent modulars, palace cinema prob is the best ; it has unique or less common elements plus stickers that will make bricklinking "correct" harder.