Ideas #013: 21305 - Maze

firos

Just built this and I have to say it's pretty cool. I didn't see the need to modify it for extra tilt. The tilt is just fine for the mazes that are in the instructions. Perhaps an advanced maze may need the extra tilt. This will have a permanent spot on my coffee table.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
Has anyone bought these as investments?

there seem to be 'very' low sales on eBay UK if I look at the sold listings which suggests it's a slow moving set.  

Of course, but only the big investors are stocking up this early in life and only with TRU coupons/TRUTH stacking or at SAH with promos here in the U.S. I'm sure there are others as well, but they don't want anyone talking about it :)
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Of course, but only the big investors are stocking up this early in life and only with TRU coupons/TRUTH stacking or at SAH with promos here in the U.S. I'm sure there are others as well, but they don't want anyone talking about it :)

I think it's an exclusive in the UK. At least I have not seen it at other stores that stock the other Ideas sets. 

I have seen a built one and it does look quite smart. 

I bought one set for myself. Built it, and tried out both included mazes. The plain maze is pretty hard to play, but the Medieval setting maze is quite easy to finish.

Will try to make some other maze settings, just for fun. It's nice to play with for a short while, but kids these days lose interest rather quickly and are too impatient to spend hours on finetuning their skills manipulating the ball precisely. My kids tried it out and liked it for a brief while, then went back to their tablet games.

Regarding investment potential: it won't be a big seller, that's for sure. I've not seen it sold for (much) less than RRP. On our local CL (Marktplaats) there are only 4 listings and they're all at RRP level. So if you can get it at 20% or more discount and sell it through a free listing-service like Marktplaats, then some profit can be had. Maybe in a few years after retirement it could reach up to €100. But the demand will be low. 

Personally I don't see much investment potential in this set.

• 1 month later...

This set is showing the same characteristics as the other 4 ideas "retiring soon" sets. It is a very slow seller, compared to the other 4 licensed idea sets, however it has been very well received by kids, us AFOL's on this site are not the main market for the set.

I'm not saying this set is going to perform amazing when compared to other licensed sets, but this set does have alot of positives going for it, such as:

-high probability this set might have an early retirement as it is not selling well

-supposedly dismissed by many

-will not be horded compared to other idea sets 

- less than 1 year shelf life if this set goes with the rest of the ideas sets this year

Edited by Mhd747
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

it's on the "retiring soon" list.  21305 is a great set and is highly customizable. .must be a slow seller for such a short retail life. now the question is how long until retailers sellout and at what prices...

I think it's an interesting set, but the MSRP seems too high for me - even for personal build (and I don't recall ever seeing it on sale).  I can see how this set retiring with such a short shelf-life would be enticing to resellers, however, from a collector standpoint, I won't buy at MSRP and definitely not for higher.

20 minutes ago, kris_1973 said:

I think it's an interesting set, but the MSRP seems too high for me - even for personal build (and I don't recall ever seeing it on sale).  I can see how this set retiring with such a short shelf-life would be enticing to resellers, however, from a collector standpoint, I won't buy at MSRP and definitely not for higher.

retail is $69.99 and i agree about the price point.  
amazon had it on-sale a couple of times.  i'm unsure of other retailers but i'm sure some prob price matched.  

• amazon.com = $47.64 on Jul 25, 2016 (price i paid to build w/ the kids. i was lucky especially since amazon points were also used  to reduce it more).  it was also below $50 in mid-Oct.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jaisonline said:

retail is $69.99 and i agree about the price point.  
amazon had it on-sale a couple of times.  i'm unsure of other retailers but i'm sure some prob price matched.  

• amazon.com = $47.64 on Jul 25, 2016 (price i paid to build w/ the kids. i was lucky especially since amazon points were also used  to reduce it more).  it was also below $50 in mid-Oct.

Good to know about the lower price in mid-October @jaisonline... at that price, I'd be willing to buy one.  Thanks for the info and I'll keep my eyes out and hopefully find one at that price. :)

14 hours ago, jaisonline said:

it's on the "retiring soon" list.  21305 is a great set and is highly customizable. .must be a slow seller for such a short retail life. now the question is how long until retailers sellout and at what prices...

I'm guessing slow seller, plus higher MSRP (than most are used to for Ideas sets, at least when it was released), and the volume of Ideas sets on the shelf or coming soon.

7 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm guessing slow seller, plus higher MSRP (than most are used to for Ideas sets, at least when it was released), and the volume of Ideas sets on the shelf or coming soon.

Great parts pack though - current avg selling price of just the brick components (ignoring all technic and speciality pieces) is >$160.

EDIT: Current = Current average Last 6 Month selling price.

Edited by Phil B
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, CNH1974 said:

Surprised it's going so soon. I've only bought one. But it could be a sleeper set.

UK LEGO Shop at Home is showing OOS already.

In the UK it's only SaH and Harrods that stock it, so i think it will do well here, especially as many have turned their nose up at it.