70404 - King's Castle

Ematics

"Not all castles are winners", which one though? Seems ALL that you listed were winners in my book! I wish I own a number of those! Well, I don't personally consider 20-50% gains over 7-12 years a winner, that's pretty much a dud for sitting in your basement taking up space for that amount of time. The newer ones are better quality builds, and have acted as such. 7094, Kings Siege Castle from the Castle theme in 2007 is a really cool castle, and includes a dragon like this one does.

Well, I don't personally consider 20-50% gains over 7-12 years a winner, that's pretty much a dud for sitting in your basement taking up space for that amount of time. The newer ones are better quality builds, and have acted as such. 7094, Kings Siege Castle from the Castle theme in 2007 is a really cool castle, and includes a dragon like this one does.

Ah, I misread - thought all those were CAGR's. But of course the extremely high percentages for some should have tipped me off those weren't CAGRs anyway.. *slaps forehead*

Ah, I misread - thought all those were CAGR's. But of course the extremely high percentages for some should have tipped me off those weren't CAGRs anyway.. *slaps forehead*

Yeah, if those were CAGRs they would be amazing sets to own. It seems the older ones with the raised baseplates didn't do as well as the newer ones without. But I think it has more to do with the newer ones being just plain better builds. This set is a bit juniorized, which I think is fine since they are obviously targeting a younger audience than LotR with this theme. If this is in fact the case, then I hope they get even more AFOL-centric with the sets in LotR by making builds bigger and better and not worrying about abandoning the younger builders because they have their own "Castle" them to fall back on.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't love the new set, but I will probably pick one up down the line. Looks very kid friendly, but I don't know if I can resist building a castle. It was my second favorite theme behind Cowboys growing up. The new castle looks very small though. I would rather have them do a Hogwarts style castle, where they do a very detailed build. I know this is a bit off topic, but it would be a dream if they were to make a Hogwarts UCS type set. Something around $250-300, I would buy and build day one. Maybe they will do that in a few years, I'm certain that Harry Potter isn't done, because I would be shocked if JK Rowling let the series die after the original story. As for those who get frustrated with casually talking about new sets, instead of ones that might be about to retire soon, you are probably in the wrong kind of investing. I fear for Lego investing when people begin to get into it who don't enjoy the hobby that we have. Those who are in it because they want to make a quick buck by flipping sets. If this market does have a bubble, which is possible, these people will be stuck with something that they will never enjoy. If the Lego Market does ever collapse, I will happily buy all of there sets for half of what they paid for them.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think this set will be a mediocre investment, unless lego do not provide another big castle set after the Castle theme (which seems very unilkely). Personnaly I think we'll see the Kingdoms theme come back on 2016, to see sort of a compromise between LOTR/Hobbit -kids and teenagers- and Castle -younger kids-  which will certainly be discountinued on (respectively) 2014 and 2015.

With 25/30% off I would think twice before bitting on this childish set.

Just my two cents.

This castle isnt as nice as the previous Kingdoms castle. This castle theme right now is lack luster compared to previous castle themes as well as having to compete against the LOTR/Hobbit theme. The only set i bothered to grab a few of was dragon mountain and i did so only because it was 50% off. Unless you can get the castle at near 50% discount i wouldnt bother, there are much better investments for your money right now, you have numerous exclusives, modulars and other other sets which are nearing retirement that will be in high demand by AFOL who will be the ones paying top dollar for retired sets.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I came across 70404 at Walmart. The box is beat up and one seal is unattached on each side of the box. It's $79. What does one normally do in this situation? I'm new to the game but have never seen this set in any stores. Thanks!

Its probably still worth getting if all the inner bags are there and still sealed. Look in the instructions and it should tell you how many bags it should come with. 

• 5 months later...