21028 - New York City

Ma-gic

I could not find a standalone thread for this set hence I created a new one.

I bought and built one which I found it to be very impressive with accurate representation of the landmarks. It looks as well better than the other two cities skyline, namely Berlin and Venice.

I'm wondering would this consider a good investment set or best to wait towards the EOL before start hoarding the set.

Just on a general statement, it's almost always better to wait as long as you can before EOL before hoarding any set. It's money that's otherwise locked in and tied up for no future benefit until that EoL date comes around. On a set like this, that could be 2 years or more. Plenty of other sets from plenty of other themes that will retire and appreciate nicely in that time frame. If you're into the architecture sets, I'd be looking at Eiffel, Trevi, White House, Lincoln, and Big Ben, they'll be retiring before the others currently available. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been trying to figure out a way to rebuild the base of 21028 so that the buildings are in the correct order (left to right as south to north SoL, WTC, Flatiron, ESB, Chrysler) but I'm not having much luck. I feel like I saw a build like that online somewhere when I first got the set, but my Google-fu is failing me.  Anybody tried this or have any suggestions/hints?

As silly as it sounds turn it around 180 so the New york tile faces away from you then switch flat iron 180. Finally switch the chrysler and ESB bases around. Displaying backwards is probably easier than a complete rebuild

Edited by Will 4
  • Like 1

As silly as it sounds turn it around 180 so the New york tile faces away from you then switch flat iron 180. Finally switch the chrysler and ESB bases around. Displaying backwards is probably easier than a complete rebuild

Thanks for the idea. That’s Less objectionable but still not perfect. It should go Statue, WTC, Flatiron, ESB, Chrysler. Are you a New Yorker?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• 1 year later...

Was planning to slowly accumulate some of these at a good price - but not sure what kind of indicator this is for when the set may retire:

Prior to June 2019, only one of the local targets in say 100mi radius carried the set. I added it to B****** to track it, see if the price drops. Interesting enough, most of my notifications are showing that many of the other stores that didn't carry it, are now carrying it - with many notifications indicating stock at the store was increased.