Botched Lego Ad in flyer turns up some info on TRU

Substored

Not sure if this was posted but here goes. Went to my local TRU yesterday (Canada) to try and take advantage of there obvious mistake in an ad from there flyer. The Ad said" 25% off ALL* Lego, Star Wars and Marvel Electronics.". " * excludes LEGO dimansions, disney Infinity, movies, headphones and clearence. Selection varies." On top of that they have the buy $25 or more and get nexo knights fig for free. Not a bad offer if you think about it. any star wars being 25% off minis 25% off ect ect. I went in. Even though i kind of knew they made a mistake. The mistake being this offer is for Lego electronics ONLY. So i went in picked up a couple of star wars boxes and a few series 14 mini's. Then at the cash register was told sorry its not for "ALL" lego. I did have her call the manager over to see if there was something she could do. When the manager came over she exclaimed that Lego controls all pricing and is very strict when it comes to this policy. Then she goes on to tell me the horror story. She explained that they are soo strict that if they get a return and the box is damaged or if they get damaged boxes from shipping then  LEgo has ordered TRU to THROW the set in the garbage. They can not discount them or give them away even to charity. O.o.. WTF. after that i told her i am officially going to be dumbster diving in there garbage from now on. Did anyone else know about this practice.. throwing out perfectly good sets because of box dmg? Straight from the mouth of the manager.

on a side note both the manager and i were very civil and i was polite and friendly. Anger never seems to get you anywhere. ;P

There may be a directive specific to Canada.  The only thing I can think of is some issue with shipping returns back across the US border.  But overall its seems unlikely.  TLG is making a HUGE push to minimize their carbon footprint.  They recycled 93% of all waste globally last year.  They kinda freaked out when someone posted pictures on Facebook of Lego sets in a trash dumpster.  So its possible, but not normal company behavior.  Let us know how the dumpster diving turns out.

• Like 1

While poorly written, the intent of the ad was clearly 25% LEGO Electronics, Star Wars Electronics and Marvel Electronics (though if you remove LEGO Dimensions I can't think of what's left over?). When English grammatical rules are applied, the "Electronics" noun is being used as an adjective and the duplicates can be removed from the sentence.

Anyways, with all due respect I'm glad that they didn't give you 25% off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gregpj said:

While poorly written, the intent of the ad was clearly 25% LEGO Electronics, Star Wars Electronics and Marvel Electronics (though if you remove LEGO Dimensions I can't think of what's left over?). When English grammatical rules are applied, the "Electronics" noun is being used as an adjective and the duplicates can be removed from the sentence.

Anyways, with all due respect I'm glad that they didn't give you 25% off.

All those sweet Lego clocks, watches, and light up keychains that are always on clearance. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

All those sweet Lego clocks, watches, and light up keychains that are always on clearance. 

Right... we have a couple watches and a couple flashlights (no light up keychains), what a waste. I spend more time fixing those stupid watch bracelets than the kids do wearing the watches.