First Post, need help with a bulk bin!

GonzoBrick

Question

Hello fellow Brickpickers! Is that what we say? I wouldn't know, I'm new. I did read about 10 pages of the newb "no question too dumb" thread so I have some answers, but I ran into a potential  lego haul and I have no idea what it's worth! Let's see if your all as awesome as you appear...

The seller said, "It's all lego bricks underneath and lego people" Well I do see a Pokémon card in there, but I will take his word... I will be buying in person so I can verify it later but that's not as fun as getting some expert opinions on this random bin! Also feels like a good way to start my brickpicker profile and meet some of you fellow AFOL investors.

I'd like to know firstly I'd those baseplates are junk or treasure from a special rare set! Shh it could happen! Of course, monkeys could fly outta my... Any personal opinions from experts on anything you see is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I plan to contribute to the community on this site and I already enjoy it very much. Thanks to the mods and the site creators. Big thanks.

received_10100520756846321.jpeg

received_10100520756866281.jpeg

received_10100520756886241.jpeg

received_10100520756896221.jpeg

received_10100520756906201.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I tend to go with Axe. That way, the ladies climb all over my bulk pieces.

I lol'd. Thanks. 

On topic: The crucial part is to not use water that's too hot. Lego recommends nothing more than 40C. Dishwashers and laundry machines are likely using hotter water than that at some stage in their cycle unless you've got a unit that can adjust those settings. I've washed bricks in water that's too hot, and it doesn't outright melt them, but it seems to affect their clutch power, with mixed results; sometimes clutch improves, other times it gets worse. 

Also, if you're just trying to remove general grime and dust, water alone or some body wash or whatever works fine. If you're actually concerned about germs, I'd recommend using dish soap rather than a body wash... it gets any solid, non-porous surfaces clean enough to eat off of. I'm not sure body wash has the same germ fighting capacity when used on non-porous items, unlike skin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GonzoBrick said:

Final swag picture... comments on value here would be very greatly appreciated, how much is each bag worth approximately by color... after I post this I'm gonna wash them with water then peroxide...

These gallon bags are 3/4 more/less full. At least 2 pounds each. Value estimates? Note: each bag has at least a few parts that are out of print as far as I know.

You have to divorce the effort that you put into it from the value of the parts. Whether you put in 30 minutes or 100 hours, your buyers won't pay more because of it. If you're selling in bulk, you're probably looking at a max of $10 lb. Some people want a mix of pieces, some people want a certain color, some people only want one kind of piece.

Out of production pieces could be amazing, or garbage. If you think they are $$ double check on Bricklink.

Always be sure that you accurately describe the bulk. If there's teeth marks and you don't mention it, your buyers will let you know.

• Like 1

Firstly, welcome to BrickPickers and thanks for posting your question in the right forum. :)

Now, to the matter of that bulk lot.... Run, run, run. That's a big ole pile of crap there. Those base plates are mega blocks.To have that many means that bin is loaded with mega blocks.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=mega+bloks+base+plate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-qvvHn8LLAhWBVBoKHdULCA8Q_AUICCgC&gws_rd=cr&ei=TsTnVrO1DIPWU7veqpAE

I do see some genuine LEGO in there, but not enough to say it's all genuine LEGO underneath. If it was, the seller would have taken better pictures for the ad.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gregpj said:

Firstly, welcome to BrickPickers and thanks for posting your question in the right forum. :)

Now, to the matter of that bulk lot.... Run, run, run. That's a big ole pile of crap there. Those base plates are mega blocks.To have that many means that bin is loaded with mega blocks.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=mega+bloks+base+plate&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-qvvHn8LLAhWBVBoKHdULCA8Q_AUICCgC&gws_rd=cr&ei=TsTnVrO1DIPWU7veqpAE

I do see some genuine LEGO in there, but not enough to say it's all genuine LEGO underneath. If it was, the seller would have taken better pictures for the ad.

And to add to that, remember that Bionicle/Hero Factory pieces are also "LEGO pieces" and if the rest of the bin is saturated with those you have a very tough time selling this. I'm with @Gregpj on the "run run run" part - I only tried buying a bulk lot once and even though the seller gave positive statements on the contents, once I got to see the lot (CL sale) and did some digging in the bin - lo' and behold out came the Bionicle parts, the non-LEGO parts etc. Once I had a good idea of how much of it was crap, I cancelled the sale. Very educational experience.

• Like 2

Wow, that's quite a... ok, ok won't say it... it's obviously mostly mega brand, but given the immediately identifiable construction 1x4 hinge (unless they are stickers) & ice ramp racer "racerbase" and the wide assortment of Jack Stone related parts, this is a collection from 2000/2001'ish and is just young kids play stuffs not likely to hold collectible value parts or sets worth parting-in.   there's always an unlikely chance you might find something useful not visible in the photos & can always dump the rest in a bulk $3/lb lot on ebay (that's the recycling zone for abs disposables & broken bits now adays anyway) but it doesn't look like it's worth the gas money to take the chance imo...

• Like 3

Wow.. lots of replys in one night... well... I am bartering for a Johnny Cash 3 cd set... and if I don't like what I see I can have him throw 10 dollars or 15 on top of it...

I am gonna go check it out because I just have to see it... he is on my side of town sorta... be back later with pics one way or another I'll take some there...

Here's the Lego parts so far... it seems good so far just for random parts... the value just in the bin lid alone has to be 20 dollars... that is the value of trade that I gave. This was his entire personal collection... he said there's nothing too special and that he loved GI Joe more than Lego...

The bin is still unsorted... I also have a bag of mega bloks and mega blok baseplates, over 15. Wondering if those are trash or maybe worth listing for cheap...

In summary, I think I got a good deal even though quite a few have bite marks... I can add those to my personal collection.

1458074171495361185929.jpg

1458074264303-1845973038.jpg

1458074359100-485163283.jpg

Final loot... lots of plates, classic bricks, a classic Artoo unit from the very first Droid escape set with the 2 printed quarter circle escape pod pieces. No C-3PO. They are indeed from the early 2000'stages period. Some great light blue ice colored plates arches and 12 angled pieces. Black 2x4'a which seem uncommon based on me not having any out of my 18 sets... a stack of 4x4 brown cylinders... and a whole lot more... It took 7 hours to separate the mega bloks out and hourly it wasn't worth it. Still great stuff. Translucent orange grille and 1x1 studa that I don't see anymore...

1458144586700361185929.jpg

• Like 1

You can sell a Mega Bloks lot. A lot of parents either have no clue there is a difference or they really don't care. (Edited to say, of course make sure you say it is Mega Bloks not Lego, but to many parents, they are the same thing kind of like Kleenex and tissues.)

If I have enough gathered from bulk lots, I'll sell a bag of Mega Bloks or donate them to a place where parents who can't afford birthday and Christmas gifts for their kids can pick up stuff for free.

The broken or really badly bitten up pieces get trashed. Lightly bitten pieces go in the Mega Bloks lot or in my collection.

Edited by meganr
Clarity
  • Like 2

The other advice i would give at this point, from my experience is "sell this lot before you buy any more!"

I still have a large stack of 90% complete used Harry Potter sets in my garage, all waiting for me to get around to checking precisely what's missing, go to bricklink etc etc

It's now behind approx 10 times as much used technic too

Don't be like me!

• Like 1

Final swag picture... comments on value here would be very greatly appreciated, how much is each bag worth approximately by color... after I post this I'm gonna wash them with water then peroxide...

These gallon bags are 3/4 more/less full. At least 2 pounds each. Value estimates? Note: each bag has at least a few parts that are out of print as far as I know.

1458166416848361185929.jpg

What about the dark grey that they don't make anymore?

10$ per pound for these seems right to you guys? They are well used, with a really great mix of parts and cool parts that are out of print. Only a few parts with non-useful molds. Assuming the parts are some great molds, not super rare but great out of print molds... still 10$ pound?

Anything less than 10$ per., And I will just add them to my collection..

You can also always consider the option of opening a BrickLink store (pretty easy to set up) and spend time on sorting out the pieces and counting them. Granted, more work to add (the sorting and counting takes quite some time, especially if you're not (yet) very familiar with the part nomenclature), but in the case of old gray this might get you a better deal than just selling it bulk.

• Like 1

From my own perspective, be crystal clear what's yours, and what belongs to your "business". This something I wish I had done better at the beginning, especially with bulk.

Also make like easier if you go big time, then get any kind of tax investigation. Good to be sure what was bought as personal, what was business.

Get it sold!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GonzoBrick said:

What about the dark grey that they don't make anymore?

10$ per pound for these seems right to you guys? They are well used, with a really great mix of parts and cool parts that are out of print. Only a few parts with non-useful molds. Assuming the parts are some great molds, not super rare but great out of print molds... still 10$ pound?

Anything less than 10$ per., And I will just add them to my collection..

There's something in your responses that really make me realize that you didn't read anyone's comments on your question. Despite everyone originally saying to stay away from the lot, that there wasn't a lot of value, you went for it. Hey, that's a personal decision. After that, you seem to think that the valuation would change significantly because you sorted them. Go look at Ebay and see what people are selling used lots of bricks for. My $10 lb. was on the generous side. I would love to get $10 lb for all the bulk I'm sorting currently.

Old Grey may be popular with certain people, but it's also sort of synonymous with older, more primitive building techniques. If you want to maximize the $$ and amount of time you spend with this lot, open a bricklink store and list every individual piece. You'll probably sell 50% of them eventually with about 8X the effort that you've put in so far.

You have to do the research if you want to make the money. It sounds like your buy in on this lot was relatively low. I'd sell it on and take the money and decide what to do with your profits. If $8/lb is too low for you to even bother with, get out of bulk buying. You're only going to make money out of bulk if you do a lot more research, buy a lot better lots, and spend the time to get truly organized. Read the blog article that I posted. There are a lot of pitfalls that I listed there.

Your time is only valuable to you, to any buyers, it's worth a maximum of $10/lb on clean bricks.

• Like 2