LEGO REVIEW: Star Wars Galactic Empire Battle Pack #75134

If you read my Rebel Alliance Battle pack review, then you know I was relentlessly negative and joyless from the outset. I am going to try to make the Galactic Empire Battle Pack review a little more entertaining. So, hopefully, even if this set is a disappointment, at least the review won't be. Besides, how disappointing can a LEGO set be? Welcome to LEGO STAR WARS 75134: THE EMPIRE STRIKES NEXT

DSC_0038.JPG

REVIEW: SET DETAILS
Set #: 75134
Name: Galactic Empire Battle Pack
Theme: Star Wars
Parts: 109
Price: $12.99

Before we get to the build, let’s talk value. At 12.99 the price per piece works out to almost $.12 each. This is on the high side of pricing for a licensed set. There are 4 minifigures. The minifigures are 2 Jetpack Stormtroopers (with enough blaster marks that they must actually be dead), 1 Imperial Technician, and a Shocktrooper Stormtrooper. All 4 are unique to this set (except the jumptrooper who is not unique by the virtue of there being 2.)

BOX CONTENTS

Some people may wind up picking up a set that is open box or, want to verify the box contents before beginning a build. For this set, there are 2 unnumbered baggies and an instruction book.

DSC_0040.JPG

BUILD AND EXECUTION:

The Empire wants to hold this dismal corner of this dismal planet, so they have sent 4 of their best and brightest unnamed troopers. Yup, these 4 unsung heroes of the Empire are definitely on the fast track, as soon as they pull themselves together.

DSC_0043.JPG

The Empire is all about organization and working efficiently. Apparently these fellows didn't get the memo, so their work area is a disaster. At least they are working together.

DSC_0044.JPG

On over a thousand planets, a similar scene is taking place today. The Empire is going to protect your home from the Rebels, even if it kills you.

DSC_0046.JPG

Social programs and welfare can wait until the Empire crushes the insurgents. These dedicated soldiers will make sure that their weapons are ready to defend your freedom to starve for the glorious  Empire.

DSC_0048.JPG

Don't get to close, this equipment is heavy and dangerous, especially to potential Rebel spies. Which you probably are.

DSC_0051.JPG

Who said that Stormtroopers couldn't build anything? They are very efficient at building their equipment.

DSC_0052.JPG

The technician makes sure that his control area is set up correctly.

DSC_0054.JPG

Just wait right there, we'll have the weapon up and running shortly, and we'll give you a firsthand demonstration.

DSC_0058.JPG

Now, just hold it right there. If you move even a little, we might miss.

DSC_0059.JPG

REACTION:

Well, a Battle Pack is a Battle Pack. These things are never terribly interesting. It's a small build with a lot of pieces used for the minifigures and their accessories themselves. out of 109 pieces, we use 24 for the 4 minifigures, 8 for the guns and 12 for their ammo. This leaves just over 60 pieces for a mediocre gun platform. I'd probably be more enthusiastic if I liked the minifigures, but I'm not really a fan of EU. The Shocktrooper stinks of pandering, and the Jumptroopers would have been nicer if there weren't multiple holes in their torsos, making them dead jumptroopers.

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

FINAL THOUGHTS:

People like Stormtroopers. I like Stormtroopers too. I just don't like non-movie Stormtroopers. I don't think that they do well in the aftermarket unless they are incredibly limited. These guys are everywhere and will continue to be for the next year. I expect to find these on clearance and debate picking any up. Battle Packs don't excite me, EU Battlepacks even less so. Maybe they're your bread and butter, maybe you make a good return on them, but I see the margins on these not being wirth the time or effort.

EXTRA PIECES:

As you can see, lots of extra studs for the stud shooters. Also an extra printed piece for the jetpack and a spring missile.

DSC_0063.JPG

View full blog article

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are regular, but damaged Stormtroopers, not exactly EU. Welcome in any battle scene. I disagree with you, I think these very good additions to the SW lineup. I would take these any time over the 100th ultra obscure character who was seen for 2 seconds in one of the movies.

• Like 1

After almost always ending up with 'pristine' soldiers in prior sets, seeing ones tattered and scarred from the trials of war is a great sight indeed. Also the general selection in characters is good with two footmen (with or without jump packs), one elite, and a commanding officer. The stationary battle station features a nice color scheme although limited function and overall design. There is some decent parts and potential in purchasing a couple here.

Anyway, I see you are keeping up with the self-building build pictures. :good: They are quite good and the captions are rather silly. Haha.

37 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

After almost always ending up with 'pristine' soldiers in prior sets, seeing ones tattered and scarred from the trials of war is a great sight indeed. Also the general selection in characters is good with two footmen (with or without jump packs), one elite, and a commanding officer. The stationary battle station features a nice color scheme although limited function and overall design. There is some decent parts and potential in purchasing a couple here.

Anyway, I see you are keeping up with the self-building build pictures. :good: They are quite good and the captions are rather silly. Haha.

The thing that bothers me most about the battle scarred deco is the massive hole in front that matches the hole on back. These troopers are dead men.

Any smaller set I do will most likely utilize the same techniques with the minifigures building the set. I like it, but can't devote the time to it on larger sets. Although, looking at the Ghost MIcrofighter pics, I think I need to have a clean work area for my pictures. THis is too busy and too messy.

These guys and their alliance counterparts all appear in the Battlefront video game, which is based on the movies in the sense that the locations are all from the films. I'd hardly call these EU either, and think there will be a lot of interest in these. In my own example, when my 10 year old son first saw these, his first reaction was "Cool, these are from the game".

Plus, anyone who like army building will want these unique figures. Likely many of them as you can never have too many wounded troopers or heavy artillery operators. And the shock trooper pretty much demands multiple purchases alone just to make a battalion of these guys. 

I have never had a problem selling battle packs for profit later on and will buy these by the escape pod load once I see a sale. I am selling the Endor battle packs that I got on discount for $10 last year for $40 now as an example. Those Rebel soldiers had all of 2 seconds of screen time and have nothing going for them in coolness factor compared to these battle seasoned dudes.