LEGOLAND Parks & Discover Center Buying - General discussion

donbee

We went to LL CA a couple of years ago and enjoyed our time there.  I am always curious as to how they maintain the displays on Miniland.  These are out in the elements with all dust, rain, and hot sun.  How do they clean these and how often? Do they replace the displays with the same things when the colors start to fade ?  Maybe @Alpinemaps or others have some insiders info ;)

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

We went to LL CA a couple of years ago and enjoyed our time there.  I am always curious as to how they maintain the displays on Miniland.  These are out in the elements with all dust, rain, and hot sun.  How do they clean these and how often? Do they replace the displays with the same things when the colors start to fade ?  Maybe @Alpinemaps or others have some insiders info ;)

I often wonder that too.  I have a couple of ideas, but don't know for certain.

During the "off season" (which pretty much the entire year other than summer and spring break), LLCA is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  So I'm assuming they go through and do a lot of cleaning then.

There are times when buildings "disappear" from Miniland.  There's nothing special put into their place - usually it's gone, and if you're frequent visitor you know it's gone.  Then it reappears, or a new building appears in it's place, and it's a bit shinier.  Other times, a whole section will be walled off, and they will rehab or redo a section completely.

For some of the buildings that have been there a long time, though, it's obvious that they've seen better days.  There's definitely fading on those buildings.  I think they try to get to them as often as they can, but sometimes it takes awhile.  That's my biggest concern with the new Star Wars area at LLCA; a couple of the scene are positioned where they are in direct sunlight almost the entire day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Replacing older, faded creations throughout the park is a constant thing.  The parks have model builders who aren't "Master Builders", so I would imagine it is their task under the supervision of the Master Builders to copy the old models to replace them with fresh. new bricks, along with other tasks like ordering parts for the model shop, etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Deadfraggle said:

Has anyone seen the LL train set # 40166 at the Florida LL Park recently? I really need one or two for my personal collection, but the eBay prices are pushing $35-$40.

I'm a dirty reseller, and I'm not going to apologize for pushing that price up. :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm a dirty reseller, and I'm not going to apologize for pushing that price up. :)

I'm glad you're pushing it up, it's a free market economy and all. I only ask because I'm taking the kids to Florida LL in two weeks for a visit.

I'd hate to drop $75-$80 for a pair of them now on the bay, only to find out there's approximately a billion for sale at $15 in the main LL gift shop. On the other hand, if they've been unavailable since Jan at LL, then I'll just pick them up now and not worry anout it.

I'm glad you're pushing it up, it's a free market economy and all. I only ask because I'm taking the kids to Florida LL in two weeks for a visit.

I'd hate to drop $75-$80 for a pair of them now on the bay, only to find out there's approximately a billion for sale at $15 in the main LL gift shop. On the other hand, if they've been unavailable since Jan at LL, then I'll just pick them up now and not worry anout it.

Just giving you a hard time. Totally fair question to ask - I'd wonder the same thing.

They retail for $16.99. LEGOLAND California has them in stock, so I'm assuming Florida does too, unless they've been bought out recently (hence your question).

11 hours ago, Deadfraggle said:

Has anyone seen the LL train set # 40166 at the Florida LL Park recently? I really need one or two for my personal collection, but the eBay prices are pushing $35-$40.

I was at LegoLand Florida about 3 weeks ago and every shop had full shelves of the train and the picture frame.

Edited by xxgatorzxx

49 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

Going to Florida park tomorrow! Anyone know of discount ticket pricing?

Best you'll usually do is to pull the coupon off the back of a polybag (especially the ones that end up at Target).  That's a free child's ticket for the purchase of an adult ticket.

Many Polybags have a buy one adult, get one child free coupon on it.

If you buy online you can get a cheaper price than at the door. I think the sooner the cheaper.

And you can save $2 on parking if you pay online.

Sorry if this info was too late.

• 4 weeks later...

Lesson 1 at legoland:

Buy the online parking to save $2. No other way.

Even if you buy awesomer pass online, you have to go inside to pick it up, so you have to pay for parking for the first day. They will not refund it.

Maybe you can drop someone off, and drive in a circle for 30 min to save $17. Might do that next time >

Yes. Florida.

I walked all the way to the Chima section because they have the "bargain bazaar" there. Only bargains are damaged boxes at 10% off.

I don't know much about Chima, but they had several blue box chimas, which I think are older sets.

And a barrel full of mixels for 4.99

Don't know too much about mixels, but certain some were older series.

I found those at the register. 30x TC 4s and 4x sergeants. I grabbed the sergeants and 15x TCs thinking it was worth the walk out there.

On my way back to my family I cut through knight land. Found another basket with about 10 sergents another 20 TCs, but behind the counter there was a basket with easily 100 TCs in it.

and another mixel barrel. And some knight 4 packs.

Unfortunately I've met my limit for the month. But I feel dumb for making the trip all the way to Chima land.