How much is my Lego worth?

Natalie86

My son has sadly outgrown his Lego collection. We have listed it on eBay but it's not having much interest. I'm having people offer me silly amounts like £200 but knowing how much I paid for it I cannot let it go for such a low price. Any idea how much I could get for it? I will put the eBay listing number  in the comments if anyone could help me.

Please don't list your ebay auction... selling in the forums is not allowed. Instead, why don't you post some pictures or a list of what you're trying to sell. Then we can help you... Alternatively, you can also use the Lot Calculator on Brickpicker

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/lego_lot_price_calculator.cfm

Put in all the set numbers and the condition (which I assume is used) and it'll give you a rough idea. You should verify individual prices that seem out of line with completed sales on eBay to get a rough idea. Also, since you're selling it as a collection, people do expect a discount from the overall value. I.e. you get more if you sell individually complete sets.

• Like 2

+1 to Gregpj's comment. Start with the lot calculator.

Few things to consider:

• Are the sets you have put together and all pieces accounted for?
  • Do you have manuals for any of the sets?
  • Are the lego in good condition?

If your son's lego are in a tub and mixed up then you be offered only the going rate for bulk lego. 

Ok, that's helpful. Now you'll want to type out a list of set #s and dump those into the lot calculator. Just type them out in word and copy & paste them.. it figures out what sets are in the list.

That's the work you have to do so we can help you. :)

Hi Natalie

I've just seen your ad on Gumtree and seen what you're expecting. I think to be honest you'd be lucky to get half that.

Although these have boxes and instructions they are used and played with sets, most of them in a theme (lego city) that is not popular with bulk buyers for post retirement resale.

Also by not listing the set numbers you are making it more work for potential buyers.

Most city sets get discounted by up to 50% before they retire so if people are looking to pick them up to make a profit that's their usual buy in for brand new sets. Used, played with sets probably half that again so I really think you need to reduce your expectations.

You can definitely get more than 200 for them all but I think the selling price will be nearer that figure than what you've advertised. 

• Like 1

Hi, I don't really want that much, just trying to force people into giving serious offers. For what people are offering I would rather keep it as I'm more attached to it than my son lol. I have all the numbers. Do u think I should list them in the ad, I thought against it as they are clear to see. I really don't know what I'm doing :/

I would definitely list the sets as people can then cut and paste into here or ebay to see what they are fetching. 

I think if it were me I'd  advertise at 500 and take any offer over 400.  I know what you mean about trying to stop ridiculous low ballers but with the price where you have it now, genuine buyers might think you have unrealistic expectations and will not even make an offer.  Just put something in your ad that's says ridiculously low offers will not get a response.

If you want to get more money than I've suggested above then I'd put the numbers into ebay and see what prices each one is fetching in sold listings(make sure you compare only with used not new). Advertise any decent value sets separately on Gumtree then bundle the lower value items together.

I've put all the numbers into brick picker, selected used. And the sets alone used are worth a grand total of £798.51 I don't know how much my spare tub of Lego weighs in at. I screen shot the price list so I might add those to my gallery on eBay and revise the listing so people know they are there.

That kind of tallies with what I estimated.

When you sell as a bundle like this, your buyer is someone who wants to buy the lot, split them and sell each set individually. This takes time and effort and means money could be tied up for a while until all the sets sell. Take all that into account and you can see that there has to be enough meat left on the bone to make it worthwhile for someone. Which is why I think anything above 400 is a reasonable offer.

You could definitely make more selling them individually but then it's how much your time is worth?

Guest brickcrazyhouse

box it all up and save it for the next child in the family.  Or maybe in 10 years your son would love to have them back, most of us would have.

21 minutes ago, brickcrazyhouse said:

box it all up and save it for the next child in the family.  Or maybe in 10 years your son would love to have them back, most of us would have.

Could not agree more. 

I cashed in on all my beloved Lego & Pokemon card collection when I was a teen... I regret it big time. 

I'd recommend keeping at least one or two of his favourite sets - he'll thank you for it one day!

• Like 1

The thing is he absolutely hates it. I'm the one with the Lego addiction lol. He took an interest in his first ever set he had (an aeroplane whilst on a flight to Majorca). I then went over board and bought him all that. It's all been set up once, then never played with again. He is 12 now and I can't see him liking it any time soon. But for what I've been offered I will keep it for my own satisfaction lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

Store it, forget about it, then give it to your grand kids. Your son and future grand kids will love you for it, which will far outweigh any amount of money you will get for them right now. 

I am SOOOOO grateful for my parents holding on to my 1980's LEGO. We're an ocean apart but I know what's there and next time I'm over I'll be piecing together some sets. Not planning to sell them, just for good old memories sake. And all the grandkids have had fun playing with that tub of LEGO.

• Like 1