42056 - Porsche 911 GT3 RS

TheOrcKing

3 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I can't stop looking at the huge gap between the headlights and fender/bumper. I feel like they could've minimized that gap by creating a custom/unique piece that curved upwards.

Sure, but they explicitly stated the they want to reuse the unique panel pieces in later models therefore if it is too specific they won't do it. The rims are an exception because they are too noticeable.

This set is the anti-UCS Assault on Hoth and is LEGO at its best.  It is probably one of the best designed and complete packages LEGO has ever produced.  The one issue that bugs me is that I can remember the Crawler and thought the same way.  Technic sets are tricky in that you are selling to a limited fan base, so I cannot be certain this will be some juggernaut.

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

This set is the anti-UCS Assault on Hoth and is LEGO at its best.  It is probably one of the best designed and complete packages LEGO has ever produced.  The one issue that bugs me is that I can remember the Crawler and thought the same way.  Technic sets are tricky in that you are selling to a limited fan base, so I cannot be certain this will be some juggernaut.

My son has the non-limited edition Crawler which I managed to pick up just as it retired, for RRP. It is the best technic vehicle he has - and he has quite a few - large, fun to play with, sturdy. Still surprised why 41999 didn't do well post-retirement ....

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

My son has the non-limited edition Crawler which I managed to pick up just as it retired, for RRP. It is the best technic vehicle he has - and he has quite a few - large, fun to play with, sturdy. Still surprised why 41999 didn't do well post-retirement ....

Granted, the Crawler is no Porsche, but it still was cool, collectible and had unique features not found in other sets.  LEGO can really do a nice job here with a follow up Ferrari or Lamborghini.  I always wanted to see a series of NASCAR cars done in a similar fashion.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil B said:

41999 evokes no emotion.  No one is nostalgic for a "Crawler."  Nostalgia sells. Just look at Fuller House on Netflix.  Not the best show by any means, but I enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought it was fun, and look forward to season 2.

Same for the Porsche 911.  This is an iconic car, that most middle aged males will be nostalgic over.  I know many friends with posters on their walls, right next to Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, and Jessica Simpson back in the late 90's early 2000's. 

I did not have a poster with a "Crawler" on it in my bedroom or dorm room.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

41999 evokes no emotion.  No one is nostalgic for a "Crawler."  Nostalgia sells. Just look at Fuller House on Netflix.  Not the best show by any means, but I enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought it was fun, and look forward to season 2.

Same for the Porsche 911.  This is an iconic car, that most middle aged males will be nostalgic over.  I know many friends with posters on their walls, right next to Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, and Jessica Simpson back in the late 90's early 2000's. 

This. Absolutely. Spot on. Thanks Rimmit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Wow, what a way to quickly negate any valid points you may have previously made in this thread. :codemafia:

Touche'. 

The things we do for love. =)  It's at least kid friendly, and something my wife and I could watch with the kiddos around,  which is more than I can say for GoT or Breaking Bad.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

Not really.  Benny's Spaceship and the Exo-Suit were "nostalgic."  Nostalgic many times just seems old and dated...and sad. 

13 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Not really.  Benny's Spaceship and the Exo-Suit were "nostalgic."  Nostalgic many times just seems old and dated...and sad. 

Benny is not true nostalgia and it was over produced by a mile.  AFOL's in 20 years will be nostalgic for Benny, not AFOL's now.  It's tough to be nostalgic for something produced in a movie in 2014.  Why would a 35-45 year old be nostalgic for a 2 year old design?  Yes it has retro aspects, but it's not what you grew up loving, and while it is "cool" looking, it doesn't feel or look like a high end collectible.  It's a hodge podge design of random 80's space parts.  How is the exosuit nostalgic aside from the 1980's spacemen?  There was no wave emotion bringing me back to my youth when I saw the exosuit.  I thought the construct-o-mech had more nostalgia.  At least it looked like the loader from Aliens, and when I saw it, thought maybe with some heavy modification it could be a good MOC with Ridley.

Benny isn't a 2 year hold, it's a 25 year hold as that 's when the nostalgia sets in.

Nostalgia done right sells like hot cakes.  Look at Ecto-1 and the Delorean.  What 40 year old male who grew up in the 80's doesn't want those sets.  Just need a Terminator and Aliens set to round it out.  Why do you think they have Peter Cullen doing the Optimus Prime voice for all the new movies?  Nostalgia. His voice was iconic.

Nostalgia done poorly can be a disaster. (Terminator Genisys) 

Edited by Rimmit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

Benny is not true nostalgia and it was over produced by a mile.  AFOL's in 20 years will be nostalgic for Benny, not AFOL's now.  It's tough to be nostalgic for something produced in a movie in 2014.  Why would a 35-45 year old be nostalgic for a 2 year old design?  Yes it has retro aspects, but it's not what you grew up loving, and while it is "cool" looking, it doesn't feel or look like a high end collectible.  It's a hodge podge design of random 80's space parts.    I thought the construct-o-mech had more nostalgia.  At least it looked like the loader from Aliens.

Benny isn't a 2 year hold, it's a 25 year hold as that 's when the nostalgia sets in.

Nostalgia done right sells like hot cakes.  Look at Ecto-1 and the Delorean.  What 40 year old male who grew up in the 80's doesn't want those sets.  Just need a Terminator and Aliens set to round it out.

I understand your points and I agree for the most part.  I think the term "classic" works better.  The Porsche is a classic car.  Full House was a classic show.  Classic sells.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I understand your points and I agree for the most part.  I think the term "classic" works better.  The Porsche is a classic car.  Full House was a classic show.  Classic sells.   

If it were that simple! Mini is classic and seems less desirable than T1 or Beetle so all that glitters is not gold.

41 minutes ago, Val-E said:

If it were that simple! Mini is classic and seems less desirable than T1 or Beetle so all that glitters is not gold.

It would be nice if it was that simple wouldn't it.  While something being classic definitely helps, ultimately, just being classic is missing a key portion of the equation.  Being classic just proves that the appeal and design of a product has stood the test of time.  I would actually argue Full house is more Nostalgic than Classic.  I am not sure the show design has really stood the test of time.

Nostalgia is defined as "a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations."

While I agree with Ed that something being Classic definitely helps with sales and increasing RRP as it proves something has a timeless design, ultimately, the key part of the equation in producing those sky high prices is EMOTION

Most people (this is arguable) have at least a reasonable head on their shoulders, and know that buying Lego sets for 3-4x RRP especially the ones that end up being over 600-1000 dollars make no sense.  That money can go so many other places.... like putting food on the table, a mortgage payment, a mutual fund, however, normal logical human beings will spend absurd amounts of money on plastic bricks.  Why?  EMOTION.

Spock would say "It is illogical."  It is illogical, but we do it anyway.  Why?  Because we want to.  We love it and if we love something and want it bad enough we spend the money on it.  We want the feeling of seeing that SSD or Millenium Falcon sitting in our home every day.  Once emotion takes over, people do things that make no sense.  Why else do we spend 1000's of dollars on a piece of pressurized carbon set into a ring and give it to a significant other?  EMOTION.  It's not because that ring is going to sell at 4x RRP in a couple years. 

The difference between classic and nostalgia is the emotional factor behind it.  The mini does not have a truly classic movie scene.  It has the Italian Job and that's it that I can recall, and that wasn't even that mainstream of a movie.  The Beetle and T1 van are featured in more movies than I can mention.  On top of that, many people owned one, or knew someone that owned one.  In the US, the sales of the mini have never been that big.  Maybe the European market has a higher Mini sales. 

But EMOTION is the key factor causing people to spend enormous amounts of money on a product that is discordant with actual value.  Without emotion, we would all be logical Vulcans, only analyzing the innate value of the plastic and spending accordingly.

Edited by Rimmit
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

To add to this - I've seen totally non-LEGO friends post this on FB today and yesterday, and BusinessInsider.com even ran a page on it: http://www.businessinsider.com/legos-porsche-2016-4

What? I am seriously considering avoiding this set as investment then... The hoard will destroy it. TLG will keep producing it for 10+ years...

But of course I will buy one for myself on the first day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yang said:

What? I am seriously considering avoiding this set as investment then... The hoard will destroy it. TLG will keep producing it for 10+ years...

But of course I will buy one for myself on the first day.

i don't think the hoard will be packing this set from floor to ceiling. the $300 price will turn off pretty much everyone except some flippers plus technic and Porsche fanatics.   good chance this one ultimately catches most by surprise when it poofs.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Mini is not a classic.  Sorry.  Most Americans had no idea of the car until a few years ago.  VW is a classic, love it or hate it.  

• Like 3

Now that I have the Speed Champions Porsche 919 & 917K set, unless something new comes out, this Porsche and the Bucket Wheel Excavators will be my only new model purchases this year. Not bad but will be quite costly for only three sets, heh.

As for long-term.. I don't know. The appeal is there but, like the Tumbler, it will probably be too obvious a target for hoarding  by seasoned hoarders, n00bs/casual "investors" and big sell-everything sellers. If I were starting over now with no research, I certainly would have blindly made it my target. And I don't like the idea of competing with hundreds and hundreds of sellers over scraps for years.

Edited by Battrax
  • Like 3

I think the word that bridges the gap between classic and nostalgic is iconic.

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Mini is not a classic.  Sorry.  Most Americans had no idea of the car until a few years ago.  VW is a classic, love it or hate it.  

I was going to say the same thing. I first became aware of the Mini Cooper from that Marky Mark movie. I don't remember seeing one in person until 2010.

The Mini is a classic over here in Europe, it's Mr Bean's car. It's just as famous as the Beetle. It's one of the first small urban cars, like the Fiat 500. It's not a classic in the US because the car culture is very different in the US. It all comes down to which side of the Atlantic you're standing on.

Edited by Pomodoro
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

It all comes down to which side of the Atlantic you're standing on.

You can say that regarding the Lego market too.

Probably we should split every thread on the forum into 2: US market vs. Non-US market.

10242 is definitely not a good seller in US.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pomodoro said:

The Mini is a classic over here in Europe, it's Mr Bean's car. It's just as famous as the Beetle. It's one of the first small urban cars, like the Fiat 500. It's not a classic in the US because the car culture is very different in the US. It all comes down to which side of the Atlantic you're standing on.

But the VW Bug and Camper Van were classics here as well as Europe.  

• Like 2

Just now, yang said:

You can say that regarding the Lego market too.

Probably we should split every thread on the forum into 2: US market vs. Non-US market.

10242 is definitely not a good seller in US.

Absolutely, it's just that  @Val-E and @Ed Mack were both correct regarding the "status" of the actual car. The LEGO set's popularity is an entirely different discussion.

2 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

But the VW Bug and Camper Van were classics here as well as Europe.  

Yes, because the Beetle was massively sold in the US as well as in Europe, and the camper is regarded as the "hippy van" everywhere in the world, it has become a symbol of the sixties.