40221 - Fountain

HandyHand

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Deanfjr said:

Right now: I see the going rate already on eBay $26.50 -$29.99, I would think it will come down as the days go on....

What price range do you think it will settle in at? My guess $15-$20 

I won't let any go for less than $20 but that's me...

On 6/1/2016 at 1:24 PM, cubfan78 said:

I have 3 coming my way, keeping 1 and hoping to package the other two in a trade!

I think I like this plan. If I had gotten my first ones today, I'd be happy to flip them on eBay for $21 - $22.  But I got some on day 1, and sold them for > $30.  So now I have 3 more, and $22 shipped (or $16 in pocket) doesn't look so attractive anymore.  Maybe I'll just hold for a while.

Anyone care to predict if it will be above $20 six months from now? I'm guessing there will be no shortage. After the success of the Gingerbread House, and Holiday Trains, I'll bet Lego made plenty.  Also... looking around my Lego store yesterday (and online)... I'm seeing shortages / no stock on several things that they had a week ago.  I'm thinking this promo is bringing folks into the store, and sales are good for early June.

The problem with these promo items is awareness. The hype is strong right now and will be probably for June and into July.... but will people remember about this Promo set, or new lego enthusiasts even know about it in 6 months (christmas) time? Will there be some other awesome promo sets that are released between now and then that could steal the wind from this one? I kept 1 GBH from last year, but I'm very skeptical I'm going to be able to pull the same kind of numbers as I got from the rest of them, unless they come up with something complimentary to pair it with. I fear the same for this set. If people don't know to search for it on ebay in 6 months, it won't sell as well as it is now. Opinion only, no factual information provided. :)

Well, it will be tough for the 40139 Gingerbread House to reach $50, $60 or $80 again... maybe in some years. But that was a special case... the hype got way out ahead of what the set was worth, and (in the Christmas season) it was several weeks before the price came down to more practical levels.

I guess this set would compare more closely to the 40140 Flower Cart. That set is also a nice addition to a city scene (or park, or zoo). It's a polybag, has 72 pcs, 1 minifig. Settled around $12 - $14 for most of it's life, and in the past few months has moved up to $15 or $16. Our 40221 set is in a nice box, has 105 pcs, a nice working-woman minifig, a dog, a statue (in two styles), and other nice accessories.  It has to be worth more than a flower cart, right? My fear was that this set would drop to $16... then $12... and I would be sorry for holding mine.  But after running this comparison, I'm guessing $20 - $22 is a fair (minimum) price for this set... a "floor" so-to-speak.  It could drop lower in the near term, but I think it should hold it's value around $20 over the next year, so there's no rush to sell right now (for me anyway).

Assuming you have a buyer, then yes. There are plenty of sets sitting at an MSRP of $9.99 on store shelves, eBay, and Amazon that are NOT selling. However, this is a cool little set and a limited promo...so it will most likely sell for now. Especially at $9.99.