MAYFOURTH-1 2016 Star Wars Space Slug Promotional Set

jaisonline

For what it is, I think it's cute. At 161 pieces it seems to be on par with the other SW exclusives... I was disappointed that I couldn't get an invite since I'm nowhere near a LEGO store at the moment and didn't realize until last Thursday morning that I was going to be at the Paris Disney LEGO store... but they were all out of invites. I didn't bother going back to see if all the sets were claimed either, and then read that many weren't claimed at other stores. Doh!

I'd have gladly added it to my collection given the chance, but I won't pay secondary market prices for this one. I bought the SDCC Mini Sandcrawler on the secondary market... and might eventually get the Mini Dagobah.

23 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=MayFourth-1#T=I

Only on 23 Wanted Lists as of now.  I am sure this will be showing up on eBay no box, no instructions 100% complete all new genuine Lego since there are no rare elements.

good point about wanted lists.  i like bricklink but usually ignore their wanted lists (for sets) based on my sales history there. 

the space slug set is already at 105 wanted on brickset (120 owned).   http://brickset.com/sets/MAYFOURTH-1/Escape-the-Space-Slug

too bad this set doesn't contain at least one semi-rare element like the superman promo set.

Can this set be semi-compared to the BatPod? That was limited to 1000 sets (all given away I assume) and this was estimated to be about 3000 sets (with an assumption that some that weren't given away were shipped back to Lego for destruction?). I currently don't know what to do with the set. 

I just looked at the BatPod on eBay (haven't looked in a long time) and noticed original sealed versions are selling on average for about $1300. When these started being shipped out to the winners, weren't they around $500? 

My gut tells me this may behave similarly to the BatPod (in % price increase) due to exclusivity but the other part of me tells me to sell for $230 and consider the UCS TIE that I bought to get it as a nice free set.

48 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

good point about wanted lists.  i like bricklink but usually ignore their wanted lists (for sets) based on my sales history there. 

the space slug set is already at 105 wanted on brickset (120 owned).   http://brickset.com/sets/MAYFOURTH-1/Escape-the-Space-Slug

too bad this set doesn't contain at least one semi-rare element like the superman promo set.

It does include one rare piece: the box :)

58 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Can this set be semi-compared to the BatPod? That was limited to 1000 sets (all given away I assume) and this was estimated to be about 3000 sets (with an assumption that some that weren't given away were shipped back to Lego for destruction?). I currently don't know what to do with the set. 

I wouldn't bother trying to compare it to the Batpod.  You're better off comparing it to the other Comic Con Exclusives, including:

At 161 pieces, this fits in nicely with Tatooine and Dagobah.  I'm not sure why so many people are hurt by this set; I'm guessing because this had wider availability than Comic Con?  It's easy to write this set off if you can't get to Comic Con, and harder to write it off if you know you weren't invited to your local LEGO Store.  This set has a 3500 piece availability worldwide.  So LEGO actually made it far easier to obtain this set than any of those other four sets.

As for what to do - either keep it or sell it.  If you like it, or at least like the box, just put it on a shelf and enjoy it.  It cost you nothing to obtain.  If you really want to build it, open it up.  Or Bricklink it.  Very easy to deal with.  The other option is to sell it and recoup some of your costs.  This is something that I, personally, view as a quick flip.  I don't know that you'll see as much desire for this set as the initial wave of "I want it, and I couldn't get it."  The patient buyers will win on this set.

The Dagobah set has come down in price.  I remember seeing it during Comic Con selling for > $200.  Now it's settled around $100.  Tatooine hasn't depreciated as much - it looks to be in the $150 range, when it was $200 immediate after it went on sale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=MayFourth-1#T=I

Only on 23 Wanted Lists as of now.  I am sure this will be showing up on eBay no box, no instructions 100% complete all new genuine Lego since there are no rare elements.

My first day on BL.. How hard is to place this order . Is there a easy way to "copy and paste"  this order..or  Do I have to manually find these pieces.. thanx in advance for the newbie help.. Creating my account now. 

29 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

My first day on BL.. How hard is to place this order . Is there a easy way to "copy and paste"  this order..or  Do I have to manually find these pieces.. thanx in advance for the newbie help.. Creating my account now. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+bricklink+a+lego+set

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tips+for+bricklinking+a+set

OR

• Like 2

So I finally got around to looking at the Space Slug set given to me last Sat.

My situation might be an anomaly but my set is not sealed. Anyone else have the same situation?

The tape seal was sliced opened but the box didn't have signs of it being opened. The folding flaps and / or area where the tape seals are usually will have creases or evidence of being opened (even with these high quality box material).  When I opened it, the inner bag of elements wasn't sealed correctly at the factory. The bag is sealed using a fold and glue approached. That was part sealed for me but one of the sides wasn't sealed. The machine that uses heat to seal plastic must have missed it's target or someone in the Lego store opened it. Who knows.

Looks like I'll be building my set :)

Anyway, here are the pics.

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1462375088.293274.jpg

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1462375099.093754.jpg

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1462375107.071043.jpg

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1462375128.163347.jpg

ImageUploadedByBrickpicker Forum1462375145.305979.jpg

I'll be honest, I'm kind of jealous of everyone's space slugs!  I wasn't cool enough to get an invite, but will attempt to build this from my parts bin.  It's nice that none of the parts are rare; a lot of people will be able to build these with what they have, and collector's get to display it with a nice looking box (or keep it sealed and still build with what they have).

20 hours ago, gregpj said:

Might want to take note of that QC number and show it to the LEGO store manager.

I'm just glad to have been invited and don't want to cause an issue with that store manager.  I'll post pics here once it's built. My version will be slightly diff by showing the stud side of the slug (turning it around). I'm not a fan of the underside of Lego plates.  

• Like 1