MAYFOURTH-1 2016 Star Wars Space Slug Promotional Set

jaisonline

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to build that.  I like the look of that.  Fun little desk display set.

Having the face / front of the slug shown instead throat was pretty easy.  Just rearrange a couple the flat black tiles and the light gray 2x2 tile with pin.  All other steps before and after are identical to the manual.

i think y next mini project is to alter the slug so the elements with studs are the throat and the plates with the underside shown will be the head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Having the face / front of the slug shown instead throat was pretty easy.  Just rearrange a couple the flat black tiles and the light gray 2x2 tile with pin.  All other steps before and after are identical to the manual.

i think y next mini project is to alter the slug so the elements with studs are the throat and the plates with the underside shown will be the head.

I do like the way you flipped the head around.  I agree, that's the better way to show it.  I'm going to do the same.

On 5/2/2016 at 2:30 PM, Alpinemaps said:

I wouldn't bother trying to compare it to the Batpod.  You're better off comparing it to the other Comic Con Exclusives, including:

At 161 pieces, this fits in nicely with Tatooine and Dagobah.  I'm not sure why so many people are hurt by this set; I'm guessing because this had wider availability than Comic Con?  It's easy to write this set off if you can't get to Comic Con, and harder to write it off if you know you weren't invited to your local LEGO Store.  This set has a 3500 piece availability worldwide.  So LEGO actually made it far easier to obtain this set than any of those other four sets.

As for what to do - either keep it or sell it.  If you like it, or at least like the box, just put it on a shelf and enjoy it.  It cost you nothing to obtain.  If you really want to build it, open it up.  Or Bricklink it.  Very easy to deal with.  The other option is to sell it and recoup some of your costs.  This is something that I, personally, view as a quick flip.  I don't know that you'll see as much desire for this set as the initial wave of "I want it, and I couldn't get it."  The patient buyers will win on this set.

The Dagobah set has come down in price.  I remember seeing it during Comic Con selling for > $200.  Now it's settled around $100.  Tatooine hasn't depreciated as much - it looks to be in the $150 range, when it was $200 immediate after it went on sale.

So, I am very new to this, but should I sell now? I am just curious of the chances of the value increasing any more than it already is, and from your analysis it isn't. Just wondering if there is any worth to holding out on selling this set.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, midbenne said:

For anyone who's sold this set as of late, any reports as to what's been obtained? I looked at the sold listings in ebay but just curious to see if anyone here has any better news :)

I see $200+ on EBay.  I'd say that's still pretty good.

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

I see $200+ on EBay.  I'd say that's still pretty good.

I keep turning down offers for more than that...guess I should just accept the next one that comes in the $230s and move on...It just seems like it has more room to grow, just not sure there's any left at this very moment...might be a longer term hold now or just $230 at best. 

3 minutes ago, midbenne said:

I keep turning down offers for more than that...guess I should just accept the next one that comes in the $230s and move on...It just seems like it has more room to grow, just not sure there's any left at this very moment...might be a longer term hold now or just $230 at best. 

Most of these promos settle in around $150 or lower.  I think someone listed them on here not too long ago and what the current prices are.  The Action Comics Superman is the only one really growing or holding value.

• Like 1

Guess I am glad I passed on those...this guy just got $250 :)

I was reticent b/c that was the first offer I got on that first Satruday just hours after I posted it and I declined it...so I have been punching myself for wasting so much of my own time for no more gains...but that's selling and markets. $250 and away she goes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Guess I better get that thing listed! I wonder how people are mailing it.

A tube would be ideal. There's really no other way to ship it b/c if you go in anything flat you're doomed, no chance it arrives in tact, so it would have to be rolled into a tube, then put that in a box that's big enough for itself + the other items, if grouping together, if not, tube alone would suffice. Just slap a label on it and away it goes. 

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

Guess I better get that thing listed! I wonder how people are mailing it.

I have no experience with this, but I believe I saw others here report that they sandwiched the poster between two pieces of thick cardboard, with some tape, and then sent that in a (bubble) mailer ....

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I have no experience with this, but I believe I saw others here report that they sandwiched the poster between two pieces of thick cardboard, with some tape, and then sent that in a (bubble) mailer ....

That might have been the other poster, folded?