Solo: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Message added by Jeff Mack

Link to the "spoiler/I have seen it" thread for Solo: A Star Wars movie (remember you need to "join" the club to view the content)
https://community.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/19227-the-i-have-seen-solo-and-want-to-talk-about-it-thread/

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

It's a fair question as you rarely capture the magic of the original cast, but Star Trek seems to do it every half decade or so. But you said BIG bucks, and Star Trek tends to be TV for the most part. They save the big screen action for the ORIGINAL characters, recast.

You bring up the poor story telling aspect, which many people echo. We're 2 acts into a 3 act play. It's a bit early to say the story is bad. Just because we don't understand it or see all the facets yet, it's a bit early to judge, in my opinion.

I think comparing the magic is like comparing David Copperfield to Doug Henning.

41 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

This is a perfect example of the MANY clever things Rian Johnson did with this movie that go completely unnoticed because people were so enraged by everything uncomfortable going on.

The movie was not perfect, but it was daring, thoughtful, artistic as hell, and clever. People hated on JJ for being formulaic, and then they hated on Rian for burning it down and building it up again in a different way.

Was it clever to cast non Caucassian actors and made them like bumbling idiots throughout the movie ?  Take Finn for example.  He was a deserter in the beginnig of TFA who ended up risking his life to fight Kylo.  What was he in TLJ? Comic relief with water spraying all over the floor?  To be tasered by another crew? Dumbfoundly follow others on side quest that did not matter?  Getting rammed by another when trying to heroicly sacrifce his life? 

The ONE time he used his brain to taunt and distract Phasma, RJ left the scene on the cutting floor.

• Like 3

The biggest mistake was bringing back the old cast. They had everything to lose and nothing to gain from it since the fans would be upset however the story was handled. On the other hand, pandering to the older audience would have alienated new fans who don't hold the original trilogy on so high of a pedestal of nostalgia. It's like a modern day politician trying to be middle of the road and please everyone. You just get run over on both sides a la Hillary or Kasich.

They should have set the new Star Wars trilogy with all new characters and with most of the major plot points already planned out. The directors can be like jazz musicians riffing their way through these plot points. Don't give me this oh JJ had an outline and Rian Johnson trashed it. That's complete and utter bulls**t. 

On 6/21/2018 at 11:56 AM, fuzzy_bricks said:

Mission accomplished.  I plan on renting Solo and the final trilogy move at the Redbox, that is the absolute least I can pay and still stay on the legal side of seeing the movies.  I'm not going to a theater anymore to have to choke down another turd burger.

If they blow up just 1 more new death star I'm out..

For the record and for stereotyping purposes I am middle age, as a young boy saw the original in theater in 77 and it was of course incredible. I thought ep.s  7 & 8 were crap. The conflict/story in 8 is running out of fuel?  That's the equivalent of  the  "new direction " James Bond where his mission is to save the world by winning a poker game and his  only  gadget is a defibrillator that is such  a "lethal weapon" it needs to be concealed by stealth in his car. I've resigned myself to a Disney ****-show for the Star Wars franchise. 

I thought Rogue One was OK and I liked SOLO. Disney isn't getting anymore theater revenue from me either . 

14 hours ago, pete411 said:

Don't give me this oh JJ had an outline and Rian Johnson trashed it. That's complete and utter bulls**t. 

I see where you’re coming and why you probably liked TLJ. My take is that Rian Johnson is not skilled enough to pull off what was attempted:  a post-modern take down of Star Wars.  When Luke tosses his light saber away in Return of Jedi it was an earned moment for the character and the audience. When he tosses it in TLJ it’s cheap and for comedic effect. It’s not earned and pulled me out of the movie.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 11:15 PM, pete411 said:

I think it's smart for Lucasfilm to add diversity to the Star Wars universe. It doesn't have to be overt and in your face. Look at Rogue One. It had a Mexican co-lead, two Chinese and an Arab supporting character and just made them characters with zero agenda other than being characters in a story. I don't think its very smart for Star Wars to be euro-white centric since the movie business is getting more and more global. 

I'm pretty sure Marvel phase 4 will more diverse than ever. If you hate that sort of thing, you might want to cover your eyes, ears and mouth.

So a story filled with species from all over the universe, working together to defeat the evil empire wasn't diverse enough?  So we rejected all alien races and become "more diverse" by going with humanoids that are different... color?  Star Wars was already the most diverse story franchise in history.  Even more so than Star Trek which would feature one or two alien races / movie or episode.  

As for Marvel, that's not going to happen.  They did what Star Wars should have done - they planned out their story arc four years ago and announced the plan.  Star Wars are one-off movies sold as a trilogy.  There is no story arc.  There is no character development.  All you are left with is an agenda sold under the banner "Star Wars".  What we actually have been left with is men who are egotistical, misogynistic, dead beat, lazy, cowardly and worthless.  No wonder the Star Wars universe is about women's supremacy, the guys are ALL worthless.

The one woman in the empire is completely useless too.  Phasma was promoted as some sort of female warrior.  I now call her "Kenny" (as in South Park).  

Marvel is sticking to their plot line.  And before everyone starts screaming "Captain Marvel is now a women," Captain Marvel has been a woman.  That is not new.  Marvel has great writing, characters, cinematography, etc.  It is engaging.  The opening scene in TLJ where Luke chucks his father's light saber (last seen when his right hand was cut off by his father - and just before he found out that Vader WAS his father) over his shoulder is the perfect symbol for what Disney has done with everything we knew and loved about Star Wars.  I mean seriously, if they just wanted the name to do what ever they wanted, why didn't they go the bogus bricks route and call it "STAR PLAN". 

Mark my words, "Star Wars" will become a by-word (much like "jumping the shark") for when a studio ruins a franchise with an agenda other than telling the story.  And Disney will be to blame unless they throw Kathleen Kennedy under the bus hard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 6/11/2018 at 4:46 AM, Hennessy said:

To be honest, the box office reception is always caused by the previous movie of the franchise.

I saw Han Solo and it was good mvie, I like it a lot. I can not say that it is anything special or award winning, but to have finally something different than space opera (western) from Star Wars universe is so refreshing, that I can not describe my joy. Its just slight behind Rogue On, which I value as best star wars movie after 5 and 4.

Therefor I believe, that bad earnings of Han Solo goes to account of terrible Last Jedi. It just reminds me new remakes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The first movie was quite bad as it took influence from old comics movie who noone really know and nailed the coffin for sequel (Out of the Shadow), which did not brake even despite the fact, it was wonderfull movie full of cartoon serie stuff like Krang etc.

I have to agree, Rogue One has been the best SW universe movie since the OT, and Solo the next best. The awful lighting/whatever that was, made the first 30 minutes of Solo challenging, but overall I was happy with it. TFA was A New Hope rehashed, and while I enjoyed parts, I fell asleep at the theatre part way through. TLJ was all bad, but the lowlight was Luke milking the 'Loch Ness', as someone previously called it on this thread. Can't say I hold out much hope for any trilogy movies, but I will still make the effort to see spin-off/origin stories such as Fett and Kenobi. Fingers crossed I will stay awake...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...