Lego Prototype Set, Minifigure and Product Discussions

jaisonline

We can use this topic to share pictures and stories of "official" Lego prototypes (aka sketches) of products that were produced or not.  Please cite the source if using info from other places.

I discovered two sets of pictures today on eurobricks.

The picture below is of a larger 1) Speeder Bike and 2) Tie Advanced model and was in a early 2000s Lego magazine. The official release of the UCS 10175 Vader Tie Advanced set debuted in 2006 / 2007.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10175-1

tie1.jpgbrickpicker_set_10175-1_12.jpg

Here is another pretty famous prototype of Yavin IV  that appeared in DK's Star Wars Lego: The Visual Dictionary.

yaviniv-sketch01.jpg

yaviniv-sketch02.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

marcandre ,

great share.  i have the brick journal issues with 10182 CC and 10196 GC prototypes.  i'll add them here over the weekend.

I would love to see the CC pics. I would try to moc that GG proto if parts were available. 

20 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Here is another pretty famous prototype of Yavin IV  that appeared in DK's Star Wars Lego: The Visual Dictionary.

I never could get over how awesome this looks.  Ok, the fact that i cant have it add's a bit but I think this blows AoH out of the water in terms of a UCS style play set.  This one actually would look great on display + you get to act out the medal ceremony and the bit they probably cut from the end of ANH where chewie goes ape as he realises no ones coming out with a medal for him (that's when he starts pulling peoples arms off).

The only thing that looks off is the x-wing.  Im not sure if you could get a mini-figure in that cockpit or an R2 in the back. 
I'd love too see some more of the sets that get MOC'd up but rejected at TLG.  Understand there are constraints etc and the large pieces (base plates for one) in this set make it somewhat of a pipedream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

looks off is the x-wing.  Im not sure if you could get a mini-figure in that cockpit or an R2 in the back. 
I'd love too see some more of the sets that get MOC'd up but rejected at TLG.  Understand there are constraints etc and the large pieces (base plates for one) in this set make it somewhat of a pipedream.

Yup. midi-scale x-wing was done on purpose for base and minifigures "scale" to it.  Kinda like the 10188 Death Star and the Advanced Tie Prototype (pun intended)  included. 

Here are the 10196 Grand Carousel early sketches. I like the end result better although the ticket window was an excellent idea and should have been kept.

The designer , Steen Sig Andersen (Google him and you'll recognize his works) had a difficult time getting the rotation to work,

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.  I've been Bricklinking the GC for the last year or two.  I've put it aside, as I've had some ideas to MOC it.  One thing I've considered is to brick the top of it, instead of using sales.  It's interested to see what that looks like.

• 1 month later...

This month's Blocks mag (issue 21 / July 2016) has a great article about Adam Reed Tucker.  Tucker is the person who devised the Lego Architecture line while an AFOL and then a LCP (Lego Certified Professional).  Here is a concept model of the great pyramids which was never made.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

• 10 months later...