75827-1: Ghostbusters - Firehouse Headquarters

Hello,

I'm looking to make my first investment in Lego. I have a budget within the $300-$700 range and I'm thinking of purchasing the 75827-1 Ghostbusters: Firehouse Headquarters from The Lego Shop. Based on the popularity of the original Ghostbusters film and how massive this set actually is, I figured this might be a nice place to start.

Any words of advice or thoughts on this being a starting investment? I'd greatly appreciate any insight. 

7 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

This set just came out, so u are looking at a long hold

Totally agree. The bottomline is "investing in Lego" is a "waiting game" and of course, "choose the right sets", then "waiting game" - to see who can wait as long as it takes for the price goes up.

Guest mintcollector

This set will be on retail shelves for at the least, another one and a half to two years. Investing in this set now at $349.99 means you would be getting NO returns fro that time and have to pay storage  costs on the item as well.

Why not just put your money in an index fund and then in another year or two buy the same set for $349.99 and possibly collect a return on the money in the meantime? If you are a nervous investor you could always buy another set like the Ewok Village that is closer to retirement instead...however, I think Lego investing is not going to have the returns going forward that everyone is expecting due to all the media attention. I just saw a Death Star sell on eBay brand new and sealed for about $430! 

15 hours ago, Guest mintcollector said:

I just saw a Death Star sell on eBay brand new and sealed for about $430! 

That was euro and it was only because some fool put it up for auction, it's over €100 less than any other sales by anybody other than that seller.

Guest mintcollector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-10188-New-In-Box-Sealed-/111989257228?hash=item1a1314740c:m:mnfSIvqkCw7MMGPe0hMlkGw

Uh, no it was not in Euros. 

Are is another. Now I know this is a low feedback seller, but the returns on most Lego sets going forward is going to be lackluster at best due to all the media attention.

58 minutes ago, Guest mintcollector said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-10188-New-In-Box-Sealed-/111989257228?hash=item1a1314740c:m:mnfSIvqkCw7MMGPe0hMlkGw

Are is another. Now I know this is a low feedback seller, but the returns on most Lego sets going forward is going to be lackluster at best due to all the media attention.

I've heard that in 2011 and 2013 already

1 hour ago, Guest mintcollector said:

Ok, so you quoted a sale which reeks of being dodgy. Yes, that's a great example of the roof falling in on the business.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2016 at 9:27 AM, Val-E said:

US price evolution for recent sets are rubbish in general. R2 has high centered too. We can only expect the same over here in coming years.

I just sold about 1/3 of my Jurassic World stock over the last few months.  I had too much and it was taking up a lot of room, and it was appreciating to where I could start to get back about 50% from what I paid.  To me that is good news, because I feared at one point that I might have made a mistake with that theme.

I think Ghostbusters will fare the same way.  People, and kids love stories about ghosts, dinosaurs, and aliens.

Scooby Doo is another case in point of that.  If last year, the only thing you invested in was Scooby Doo and Jurassic World, then life as a "Brickpicker" would not be with a lot of doom and gloom.  It's really about the theme, and the type of sets.  Some themes and sets are going to do better than others.  Ghostbusters to me will be a winner.  There were only 3 sets, and 4 dimension sets attached to this franchise and I think all of those will do well over time once they are gone.

I can't find anyone that ships to the Ukraine. I did find a site that sells machines to make lego in the Ukraine http://brickmanufacture.com/partner/index_english.html :girlwacko:

According to this a Lego store was to be opened there in late 2015 https://www.kyivpost.com/article/content/business/lego-finds-ukraines-market-challenging-requiring-creativity-379658.html