Thinking about Modulars

cubfan78

I finally got my husband to install a shelf for my modulars, so tomorrow I will be breaking the seals on my GE. I find it a little sad that I have bought every modular from the Fire Brigade on over the past 5 years, but until I finished my makeshift 10185 (Green Grocer in Blue) a couple weeks ago, the Fire Brigade was the only one I had actually built.

3 minutes ago, Wimmer said:

If you start throwing bricks thru Windows, I am thinking that police station is a must be next release ?...

Let it go. We don't want to stir the pot.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

a police station would be great, but my guess is doctor/dentist office. really want a bar like Cheers but will never happen.

2 minutes ago, Poly 30286 said:

I finally got my husband to install a shelf for my modulars, so tomorrow I will be breaking the seals on my GE. I find it a little sad that I have bought every modular from the Fire Brigade on over the past 5 years, but until I finished my makeshift 10185 (Green Grocer in Blue) a couple weeks ago, the Fire Brigade was the only one I had actually built.

Let it go. We don't want to stir the pot.

Ok. Got it. If I can make a suggestion ?  I have all the sets from GG on, and I really do like the PR as well.  That one was a pleasent surprise I thought.  It's not big in size, but it's very intricate and just a nice model to look at too.

Ok. Got it. If I can make a suggestion ?  I have all the sets from GG on, and I really do like the PR as well.  That one was a pleasent surprise I thought.  It's not big in size, but it's very intricate and just a nice model to look at too.

I've heard that too about the PR. I'm still sitting on a sealed FB, GE, PS and PC. I haven't bought any newer ones yet. My son is finally old enough now where I can trust he won't turn a modular into a spaceship. Still can't seem to find the time to get that city going though.

I have a builders copy of every modular from Fire Brigade on (except BB).

I plan on building in release rose. I want to experience each of the builds to see how the line has evolved over time.

I finished the FB about two weeks ago. I plan on breaking it down and selling it soon. I have to admit I wasn't very impressed. Not sure what I expected that left me feeling empty but I was just "meh" about it.

It's hard to say which one I'm most looking forward to. I thought FB would be up there but I guess not. I wanted a TH for a long time. GE looks interesting. PR sounds cool, DO was the first set I was really interested as a must buy.

PC is the only one I have a really have a hope/desire to keep. I really like the idea of creating separate movie posters and rotating them around.

• Like 1

I have PS, PC, PR and DO all in boxes. Only built PR so far and loved it while building, and love the final result as it's on display. 

As a movie-fan I have a soft spot for PC, but it's the only Advanced Modular with stickers and that's a downside to me. Then again the price is also lower than any other (currently available) Modular, so that's a plus. 

But now that I've had the pleasure of building PR, I'm really hesitant to still open and build a PC or PS. And a 2nd hand set isn't much cheaper either.

8 hours ago, Poly 30286 said:

@BrickLegacy I wonder how many modular collectors' collections remain unbuilt. For me, I don't think I would ever want to break them down once built, so I was waiting for the space.

Mine are all still unbuilt :) PS, PR, PC, DO, fountain, K-E-M .... all waiting for that magical moment when I have time and space to start building my LEGO city :)

7 hours ago, Brian Briggs said:

Big Ben! :jester:

Maybe we should use BBa, BBe and BBo in the future.

And BrBr to refer to you .....

• Like 1

My 11 year old daughter loves the modular sets. (I'm so glad she moved on from the Friends line!)

We have every set from GG on but I have personally only built GG :(  Wifey built PR and I helped her finish it off. Daughter built all the rest except TH as that is the last one to build for our city. Between mine and the boys Star Wars sets and the modular and city sets, we are slowly losing our basement to Lego tables. We have 5 with 2 more getting purchased this weekend.

The only problem with a wife and a bunch of kids who love Lego is that I don't always get to build the cool sets.

• Like 4

I have all (the cc and gg were bricklinked so I have a few substitutions) the modulars except market street and I'm building them in order to see the progression first hand. I stopped after the ps for a while because I was building one a week and didn't want to be disappointed when there were no more left to build. I'm currently working on the town hall after a year long break and the building is slow. My kids are at a stage where they need more from us so less time to build. Elsa and Anna seem to enjoy the elevator though and are currently stuck (my daughter's storyline):)

• Like 3

On June 23, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Poly 30286 said:

@BrickLegacy I wonder how many modular collectors' collections remain unbuilt. For me, I don't think I would ever want to break them down once built, so I was waiting for the space.

Don't forget that Lego's don't do well with dust.  They show dust and that makes a lot of the original 'Ooooh' factor disappear really fast.

For that reason I built my sets but don't have them displayed for long, generally maybe two or three weeks and the I built another one to replace the first one.

A good way to clean Lego's is to put them in a pillow case and then in the washing machine at low and with cold water...  Don't ever put them in the dryer after that, they might crack and/or discolor...

On June 24, 2016 at 7:45 AM, jmdt said:

I have all (the cc and gg were bricklinked so I have a few substitutions) the modulars except market street and I'm building them in order to see the progression first hand. I stopped after the ps for a while because I was building one a week and didn't want to be disappointed when there were no more left to build. I'm currently working on the town hall after a year long break and the building is slow. My kids are at a stage where they need more from us so less time to build. Elsa and Anna seem to enjoy the elevator though and are currently stuck (my daughter's storyline):)

How do you brick link the CC and know what to get ?  And would it not be really expensive to get all the pieces that way ?  Are you able to get all the pieces in the right (as in original) colors ?...

1 hour ago, Wimmer said:

Are you able to get all the pieces in the right (as in original) colors ?...

There are elements that are no longer made as well as mold and color variations. The 36 dark red roof slopes have been widely discussed on here. A lot of the eBay listings for used CC that say they are 100% original are not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimmer said:

How do you brick link the CC and know what to get ?  And would it not be really expensive to get all the pieces that way ?  Are you able to get all the pieces in the right (as in original) colors ?...

Check out this great article for an idea on price struggles one might encounter bricklinking this beaut. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Check out this great article for an idea on price struggles one might encounter bricklinking this beaut. 

Thanks, that was really interesting.  Lego still has a lot of the pieces available on the site, but you're right about the listed pieces in the article, they tend to get really expensive...

I was maybe considering of giving it a go as an extra side hobby, to put this one together through brick link, but I might be unable to get all the pieces I need ???

And if I can't get all the pieces, the whole effort seems a little pointless to me, or not ?

Still debating it...

If you're a purist, it would likely be more economical to just hunt down a Used 100% complete set on Auction and aim to pay around $800. After shipping, that's roughly what bricklinking it piece for piece would cost. 

If you're NOT a purist, and just want the model to display and not necessarily flip, there are lots of potential options to modify certain parts to more common ones, without affecting overall completed appearance. With substitutions on mold types etc you could probably get it together for around $500; though, certain ones can't be avoided though, like those Dark Red slopes. Unless you're going to go for a full colour swap, which could save you even more...You can always concede to doing something like the Sand Blue Grocer to avoid high cost rare colour parts like those slopes. 

Also keep in mind if you bricklink a 2000+ parts set.... you've gotta sort it yourself. It wont come in numbered baggies. Have an organization system in place before you commit to orders, or you're likely to have a very poor building experience spending hours searching for that one 1x1 plate etc. Working a couple multi thousand part bricklink lists myself, speaking from experience. Sort your orders as they come in... I go roughly by brick size/catergory. 

Edited by Zelgazra

4 hours ago, Wimmer said:

I would use the resources that other provided to obtain a parts list. I actually bricklinked very few pieces. What I did was:

1) Go through the bulk I already had and found about 30% of the parts I needed

2) Ordered new parts directly from Lego.com about 65% of the parts I needed

3) Bricklinked remaining pieces (maybe 5%) of the parts I needed

I was able to have almost original pieces except for the following:

- Sand Green 1x4 (instead of 1x8)

- Sand Green 1x2 (instead of 1x2 with groove)

- White cat with no eyes

- Med Gray Columns instead of Earth Blue

- Black instead of Med St-Grey 1x3x2 Bow

- Blue instead of black door

- Dark Grey instead of Earth Blue 1x5x4 Bow

- Plain instead of Printed Flat Tile 1X4 Rune Stone

There were some important substitutions but I kept track of what I changed so that I can buy the original pieces one day if I wish to make it more true to the original. It was pricey then (almost 2 years now), but I think it is more now because of the scarcity of some of the pieces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

If you're a purist, it would likely be more economical to just hunt down a Used 100% complete set on Auction and aim to pay around $800. After shipping, that's roughly what bricklinking it piece for piece would cost. 

If you're NOT a purist, and just want the model to display and not necessarily flip, there are lots of potential options to modify certain parts to more common ones, without affecting overall completed appearance. With substitutions on mold types etc you could probably get it together for around $500; though, certain ones can't be avoided though, like those Dark Red slopes. Unless you're going to go for a full colour swap, which could save you even more...You can always concede to doing something like the Sand Blue Grocer to avoid high cost rare colour parts like those slopes. 

Also keep in mind if you bricklink a 2000+ parts set.... you've gotta sort it yourself. It wont come in numbered baggies. Have an organization system in place before you commit to orders, or you're likely to have a very poor building experience spending hours searching for that one 1x1 plate etc. Working a couple multi thousand part bricklink lists myself, speaking from experience. Sort your orders as they come in... I go roughly by brick size/catergory. 

I'm going to brick link it, I think. Not looking to do this for flipping, but to get my series complete this way, I have all the other ones except Market Street which I don't really consider being part of this line...

i always have it organized by pieces when I built, so that won't be a problem.  Thanks for the information all of you.  I'm starting ordering parts tonight.  I already found all the red roof pieces. 

1 hour ago, jmdt said:

I would use the resources that other provided to obtain a parts list. I actually bricklinked very few pieces. What I did was:

1) Go through the bulk I already had and found about 30% of the parts I needed

2) Ordered new parts directly from Lego.com about 65% of the parts I needed

3) Bricklinked remaining pieces (maybe 5%) of the parts I needed

I was able to have almost original pieces except for the following:

- Sand Green 1x4 (instead of 1x8)

- Sand Green 1x2 (instead of 1x2 with groove)

- White cat with no eyes

- Med Gray Columns instead of Earth Blue

- Black instead of Med St-Grey 1x3x2 Bow

- Blue instead of black door

- Dark Grey instead of Earth Blue 1x5x4 Bow

- Plain instead of Printed Flat Tile 1X4 Rune Stone

There were some important substitutions but I kept track of what I changed so that I can buy the original pieces one day if I wish to make it more true to the original. It was pricey then (almost 2 years now), but I think it is more now because of the scarcity of some of the pieces.

Exactly !!!  That is what I noticed too. I'm ordering the lot on Lego tonight and found the roof pieces already.  Some of them will be a problem but I'll find a way or a replacement.  I'm going to make this work, and I'm not in a real hurry either.  This is going to be fun too.