Kid destroys $15,000 LEGO sculpture an hour after new exhibit opens and other stories of LEGO destruction

After reading multiple recent media articles, it baffles me beyond belief how parents struggle to keep a close eye on their children when out in public !! I don't take my eyes of my kids for multiple reasons. Poor guy, at least the original model picture will now probably go viral and even more people are likely to see it around the world!! #silverlining

• Like 1

Yes, A lot of parents appear to neglect to supervise their children and don't understand the consequences of either their own or their child actions. Perhaps an extreme example allegedly involved a couple leaving their child in a Portuguese hotel room while they went for dinner.........

There's this prolonged adolescence that people seem to have. They do what pleases them, even when they have kids. They let the kids run wild and expect that either other people will accept the garbage that the children do or parent their children for them. (as long as these people don't try to instill order, morality, or discipline.) They video the chaos and laugh about it, only lashing out when there's some real consequence to the actions. If you can't pay attention to your kid in a zoo or a museum because you're too focused on your own enjoyment, you're not really acting as a parent. If your kids destroy hundreds of hours of work because of your inattention, you should really be held liable.

I'm reminded of the Korean couple who let their baby starve to death because they were too busy playing second life.

It was easy to blame the parents but bottom line we did not know the whole story and the kid was only 4.  Even the builder did not think the kid did it intentionally.  

Four year olds are fast enough to go under the rope to push the build without anyone noticing.  Plus I challenge anyone to find a 4 year old who listens to his/her parents warnings 100% of the time :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

This is unrelated to this post, but very similar, and I couldn't find a similar thread, so i'll post this here.  

We had a relative over and their girl that is of equal age to my son came over to play in his room.  Well to make a long story short, all the sets on the lowest rows of my sons shelf were instantly destroyed in minutes!  What took us hours upon hours to build was completely dismantled in just a few minutes of play time. .  Minifigures were completely beheaded, parts were all over the place.  Sets completely dismantled.  Overall, i've had to retrieve 16 different instruction booklets, just to figure out what parts go to what. 

When I opened the door and walked in to the room, I almost had a coronary, and my wife when she saw it had that "holy mother of ..." look to her.  Needless to say, its' going to be weeks to recover from what took place.  Everything from Star Wars Force Awakens to At-At to Ewok Village to Scooby sets to hobbit to jurassic world sets all wrecked in minutes!  It's like a destructive tornado went into the room. Never seen anything like it to be honest, and it taught me a very valuable lesson - while your kid might be gentle and a builder, more than likely kids never exposed to lego will treat them the same way.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fossilrock said:

This is unrelated to this post, but very similar, and I couldn't find a similar thread, so i'll post this here.  

We had a relative over and their girl that is of equal age to my son came over to play in his room.  Well to make a long story short, all the sets on the lowest rows of my sons shelf were instantly destroyed in minutes!  What took us hours upon hours to build was completely dismantled in just a few minutes of play time. .  Minifigures were completely beheaded, parts were all over the place.  Sets completely dismantled.  Overall, i've had to retrieve 16 different instruction booklets, just to figure out what parts go to what. 

When I opened the door and walked in to the room, I almost had a coronary, and my wife when she saw it had that "holy mother of ..." look to her.  Needless to say, its' going to be weeks to recover from what took place.  Everything from Star Wars Force Awakens to At-At to Ewok Village to Scooby sets to hobbit to jurassic world sets all wrecked in minutes!  It's like a destructive tornado went into the room. Never seen anything like it to be honest, and it taught me a very valuable lesson - while your kid might be gentle and a builder, more than likely kids never exposed to lego will treat them the same way.

That sucks.  We hide all my son's LEGO whenever we have kids coming over with their "free spirited" parents.  The positive is that you can get it back to how it was pre-tornado. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Let's not talk about the parenting skills (or lack thereof)....but let's keep this on topic of destruction of LEGO.

I do think that there is some value to the discussion though, since methods on how to raise/train a child to "respect the LEGO" is very important. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KShine said:

I do think that there is some value to the discussion though, since methods on how to raise/train a child to "respect the LEGO" is very important. 

I actually take it 1 step further and point out how important it is to raise / train a child to respect other people's properties.  But I do not think BP is the best forum to discuss that :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I actually take it 1 step further and point out how important it is to raise / train a child to respect other people's properties.  But I do not think BP is the best forum to discuss that :)

Showing respect used to go hand in hand with being respected.

Unfortunately, in today culture, the more disrespect that you can show to others, the more respect society seems to give you.   

Edited by KShine
  • Like 3

someone's got a piece of resistance stuck somewhere.  have any of you guys seen The LEGO Movie.  remember the ending?  we got a bunch of Will Ferrells here.

4 yo wanting to play with LEGO and break it down is totally normal.

adults talking about 4 yo  messing LEGO's and getting bent out of shape going Will Ferrell  mode - definitely AB-normal.

the solution for the kid destroying the $15000 LEGO masterpiece isn't better parenting.

its....

2Q==71NHlu8OzHL._SL1500_.jpg

9 minutes ago, cladner said:

someone's got a piece of resistance stuck somewhere.  have any of you guys seen The LEGO Movie.  remember the ending?  we got a bunch of Will Ferrells here.

4 yo wanting to play with LEGO and break it down is totally normal.

adults talking about 4 yo  messing LEGO's and getting bent out of shape going Will Ferrell  mode - definitely AB-normal.

the solution for the kid destroying the $15000 LEGO masterpiece isn't better parenting.

its....

2Q==

Lol as far as that masterpiece for PUBLIC display, I would agree with you. At least he should have kraggled the bottom to a metal disk / base as anchor.  It was not just to protect against children/itchy hands, what if the expo staff accidentally knock it down while dusting the piece.. :P