Marvel vs Star Wars

Malachi1984

I'm sure it goes in "pops" when movies come out I'm sure that plays a factor. Civil war just came out so overall I'm sure they sold more Marvel lately. Overall SW will always shadow Marvel (year over year) just using the past 10 years as an example. Seems Marvel is MAINLY mini figures.

Was there more to this? did you have some observation? Have you noticed more movement of Marvel sets or a decline of Star Wars?

Oh sorry didn't mean to be vough or not add anything obviously the Sw range is the strongest and longest running range just starting to see lego release more marvel sets then before & with the marvel universe there could be plenty more coming out with the new Sw sets being quite expensive I can see the marvel range becoming more popular being at a cheaper price or better value for money like with spiderman ghost rider team up 3 mini figs compared to reys speeder 2 mini figs I was collecting Sw sets but starting to get fed up with getting the same type of sets. I see the marvel range growing just wanted to get people's views if they think it could be a long running range like starwars

Oh sorry didn't mean to be vough or not add anything obviously the Sw range is the strongest and longest running range just starting to see lego release more marvel sets then before & with the marvel universe there could be plenty more coming out with the new Sw sets being quite expensive I can see the marvel range becoming more popular being at a cheaper price or better value for money like with spiderman ghost rider team up 3 mini figs compared to reys speeder 2 mini figs I was collecting Sw sets but starting to get fed up with getting the same type of sets. I see the marvel range growing just wanted to get people's views if they think it could be a long running range like starwars

That goes back to my point. A lot of these releases have been movie backed. Marvel releases a movie every 6 months if not sooner.

25 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

That goes back to my point. A lot of these releases have been movie backed. Marvel releases a movie every 6 months if not sooner.

Uh, that has started to occur in the Star Wars franchise too...lol! Well, at least one a year once Disney gets fully up to speed. Factor in other side projects like Rebels and Freemaker Adventures and it probably will be once every six months. This was the point I was making in another thread. The reason why Star Wars sets have not yet been oversaturated like the Marvel ones is due to no new material in theaters in almost a decade. Disney is sure to reverse this trend and yes, Star Wars sets and mini figures will start to stagnate for all but the most iconic and best sets. 

However, to answer the OP's question, I don't see Super-Hero sets being close to SW sets at present time. Maybe in the future as the quality has gotten a lot better. But Marvel (also owned by Disney) is really pushing the Marvel brand by releasing a new movie every six months. Make no mistake, at a cost of $4 billon, Disney has no choice but to exploit the SW license just as bad if not more...if is coming and SW will not be immune. 

3 minutes ago, ironbrick said:

Uh, that has started to occur in the Star Wars franchise too...lol! Well, at least one a year once Disney gets fully up to speed. Factor in other side projects like Rebels and Freemaker Adventures and it probably will be once every six months. This was the point I was making in another thread. The reason why Star Wars sets have not yet been oversaturated like the Marvel ones is due to no new material in theaters in almost a decade. Disney is sure to reverse this trend and yes, Star Wars sets and mini figures will start to stagnate for all but the most iconic and best sets. 

However, to answer the OP's question, I don't see Super-Hero sets being close to SW sets at present time. Maybe in the future as the quality has gotten a lot better. But Marvel (also owned by Disney) is really pushing the Marvel brand by releasing a new movie every six months. Make no mistake, at a cost of $4 billon, Disney has no choice but to exploit the SW license just as bad if not more...if is coming and SW will not be immune. 

Just wanted to ask you a hypothetical.  Isn't it better for Lego that Disney is releasing new movies with new characters and planets and ships rather than lego being stuck doing re-releases of the same 6 movies with the same limited universe? 

To me, all this new intellectual property makes it way less likely for us to ever see another Mos Eisley Cantina, or hoth attack,  etc.

Its not like Lego was going to stop producing Star Wars sets any time soon.  I think the more new movies, the better for OT lego. 

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Just wanted to ask you a hypothetical.  Isn't it better for Lego that Disney is releasing new movies with new characters and planets and ships rather than lego being stuck doing re-releases of the same 6 movies with the same limited universe? 

To me, all this new intellectual property makes it way less likely for us to ever see another Mos Eisley Cantina, or hoth attack,  etc.

Its not like Lego was going to stop producing Star Wars sets any time soon.  I think the more new movies, the better for OT lego. 

Thoughts?

No, because Lego will just release more sets to accommodate. How many sets in the SW universe did Lego release in 2007 vs. 2012 vs. 2015? The answer is right here on the site.That number will increase even more for 2017 too! 

There will always be sets that haven't had a re-release in a while, so you are correct, it may take some more time initially for Lego to catch up to them. 

What is going to be a major issue is over saturation, as I have said before. People don't need ten different versions of a Luke Jedi Knight minifig, especially when the average consumer may be happy with a counterfeit one. I would LOVE to see a UCS Cloud City, and there will be iconic and extremely well done SW sets going forward. Unfortunately, not every set released is going to garnish notable returns on the secondary markets. The market is going to become more like the SH line sad to say. Disney buying the SW franchise was both a blessing and a curse. 

Time will tell. It always does. 

Edited by ironbrick

1 hour ago, Malachi1984 said:

Super Hero sets are generally dull. You usually get one or more of the following, a plane, a boat, a truck, a motorcycle, a helicopter, or a partial playset that looks like nothing. Whatever's in the set bears little relationship to the characters included. The characters could be totally swapped from one to another and it wouldn't matter.

The newest wave of Star Wars sets is overall above the average because the previous wave was all cheap. In Jan-March We got mostly sets between $9.99-$24.99 That's not an indication that Star Wars is going more expensive, it's an indication that the LEGO Group failed to evenly distribute the sets of all price ranges across the Q1 and Q2 releases. If you think that the Airport Battle or the Bridge Battle are an indication of a cheaper set, I'm confounded.

on the facebook BST group, for every person requesting both SW and Super Heroes, there's one more that requests only Star Wars, so much so that they created an additional group only for Star Wars trades

15 minutes ago, ironbrick said:

No, because Lego will just release more sets to accommodate. How many sets in the SW universe did Lego release in 2007 vs. 2012 vs. 2015?

So the numbers for 2015 and 16 seem much higher but 2016 includes 12 buildable figures, 6 micros, 7 poly bags,  6 magazine promos and two other promos.  I only count 5 total OT sets and that includes the rumored new Death Star the whole year.  2015 has a very similar breakdown with tons of buildable figures, micros, poly bags,  magazine promos and other promos with just 5 or 6 OT sets. 

My point being even with greatly increased star wars set numbers,  they will be spread out over 10-12 movies and 3-6 TV shows so remakes will be less likely. 

Screenshot_20160608-222344.png

Screenshot_20160608-222339.png

9 hours ago, ironbrick said:

Yes, but also by that logic all of the non-UCS type of OT sets shouldn't be worth much more than retail or anything because most everything has had many, many, many rehashes over the years.  Almost every year you get the same types of sets coming out, just like @mudcatsfan mentioned earlier.  Even so, you have a couple of occasional TV series, and Lego makes a few sets of those and then eventually move on.  But for the OT, you can find like 10 different versions of a snowspeeder, yet they still consistently can gain money, even the newest one that just recently retired.  Sure there could be oversaturation, but even stagnation could hurt something.  If Star Wars sets weren't so popular through the years, there would be no way Lego could keep the license going for over 15 years and show no signs of fading.

9 hours ago, ironbrick said:

No, because Lego will just release more sets to accommodate. How many sets in the SW universe did Lego release in 2007 vs. 2012 vs. 2015? The answer is right here on the site.That number will increase even more for 2017 too! 

What is going to be a major issue is over saturation, as I have said before. People don't need ten different versions of a Luke Jedi Knight minifig, especially when the average consumer may be happy with a counterfeit one. I would LOVE to see a UCS Cloud City, and there will be iconic and extremely well done SW sets going forward. Unfortunately, not every set released is going to garnish notable returns on the secondary markets. The market is going to become more like the SH line sad to say. Disney buying the SW franchise was both a blessing and a curse. 

Time will tell. It always does. 

You can say that with any minifigure that Lego releases, yet some can still be worth a ton of money no matter how you skin the cat.  And I think you are overestimating the number of people who would be happy with a counterfeit minifig.  Sure maybe those people that don't know anything, but outside of your grandmas and parents who can't afford Lego, it wouldn't be an issue, because Lego wouldn't even be on their radar to begin with.  And I would venture to say, that more than a majority of people would actually care if it's genuine Lego or not.  Those that are willing to spend more than a couple of bucks for a minifig are going to want an original.

I highly doubt that it will be like the super hero line.  Even with some people calling the super hero line a stinker, there are plenty of people who have made plenty of money on sets.  Not everyone gets a set at retail, so not everyone necessarily loses money if they sell at retail.

I think what confuses me about the way you go about things, is that you have mentioned several times that the Lego market is most likely going to go to a market correction, not a crash.  Ok I can agree to a point on this, that yes some stuff will eventually correct itself, only to regain again down the road anyways.  What is confusing about what you talk about, is that you are so insanely pessimistic and negative on the market in general, your posts just hint that you are saying the Lego market is going to crash like so many other once prominent collectibles over the years.

Lots of valid points. For me the Sw builds are better but I think the marvel mini figs & accessories are more interesting then the Sw 1s with the exception of a few neither Sw or marvel are really bad sets I liked the 2nd Sw releases jabba's palace, mos eisley cantina,jabba's sail barge slave 1 ewok village sandcrawler the new wave doesn't appeal to me as much as them sets did

11 hours ago, citymorgue said:

"Yes, but also by that logic all of the non-UCS type of OT sets shouldn't be worth much more than retail or anything because most everything has had many, many, many rehashes over the years.  Almost every year you get the same types of sets coming out, just like @mudcatsfan mentioned earlier.  Even so, you have a couple of occasional TV series, and Lego makes a few sets of those and then eventually move on.  But for the OT, you can find like 10 different versions of a snowspeeder, yet they still consistently can gain money, even the newest one that just recently retired.  Sure there could be oversaturation, but even stagnation could hurt something.  If Star Wars sets weren't so popular through the years, there would be no way Lego could keep the license going for over 15 years and show no signs of fading."

Are you sure? Kenner/Hasbro has had the Star Wars action figure license for decades. How much are those Episode I action figures released in 1999 worth? Value on the secondary market is NOT congruent to how popular something is or how it is selling primarily to end consumers and even speculators. In most cases, speculators are dead wrong.

"You can say that with any minifigure that Lego releases, yet some can still be worth a ton of money no matter how you skin the cat."

Absolutey! And some always will. I think the misunderstanding you are having with my posts are the difference between a market crash and correction. I have said numerous times that the market will be corrected, it will never crash.

And to use one example, you don't think the fact that anyone can buy a reproduction Darth Raven minifig is one reason the authentic fig tapped out at around $35 new? Hmm...even people on this forum support that assessment. Counterfeits are having a very prominent effect on the secondary market...and will continue to do so.

"I highly doubt that it will be like the super hero line.  Even with some people calling the super hero line a stinker, there are plenty of people who have made plenty of money on sets.  Not everyone gets a set at retail, so not everyone necessarily loses money if they sell at retail."

A couple of points here: Number one: Please don;t assume that I am not making money or not involved in the secondary Lego or greater collectibles market. I have two decades in. No offense to you, but I just wanted to clarify. A lot of times people treat me as though I am some kind of outsider looking in.

Point two: You can make money in any market climate if you know what you are doing. Again, this is a correction, NOT a crash. Distinct difference.

"I think what confuses me about the way you go about things, is that you have mentioned several times that the Lego market is most likely going to go to a market correction, not a crash.  Ok I can agree to a point on this, that yes some stuff will eventually correct itself, only to regain again down the road anyways.  What is confusing about what you talk about, is that you are so insanely pessimistic and negative on the market in general, your posts just hint that you are saying the Lego market is going to crash like so many other once prominent collectibles over the years."

This is the most honest and telling piece of your whole post. You are correct, you are confused in that you are not understanding the difference between a correction and a crash. You even state you 'agree with me.' Then why again are we having this discussion? Just stop right there and think before responding? Because you are not understanding the difference between a correction and a crash. So let me clarify and feel free to ask more questions and we can discuss this is needed:

Comic books, action figures, baseball cards, coins...these markets underwent a correction, not a crash. Almost every collectibles market has undergone at least one. You can read about this by articles done by Harry Rinker and the like on topics like speculation. People who bet against this always lose, it is just ammeter of time. I can assure you there are several forums on Amiibo, comic books, and the like deleting my posts and refusing to respond to me because heaven forbid (and this is especially true with Amiibo) I predicted the end was near. That market was corrected by the way, it did not crash. People still can make money in a correction. People still buy and love the product in a correction. It is just harder to make to money in a correction then when times were good. 

Beanie Babies and POGS - now these crashed! Note that the fundamentals of all speculative bubbles are the same so it is sometimes (at first) hard to differentiate between a crash and a correction until some of the dust settles) Note that Beanie Babies are still being manufactured today, however, no one is buying them for investment. They are just a kids toy. Ironically, they advertised quite heavily during the 2015 X-Mas season. However, the speculative market for these items is just about dead. No one, and I mean virtually no one can buy these items at retail and expect any kind of monetary appreciation.

Now let's compare. Are people still making money in comic books and action figures? Yes, the markets were corrected, but still stable. This is the point you are missing. Lego will NOT undergo a crash. The market has been changing and will continue to do so. 

Mind you I mean no disrespect in my answers, but I think that clarification is needed. 

It's pretty pointless talking about lego having a crash a company that makes billions is the no.1 toy in the world. what will happen though when sets are heavily hoarded is the EOL market will become stagnate. people won't stop buying sets because they think it will over saturate the market people are buying them in the hopes to make a return.It won't crash the market if them hoarded sets are still selling/ trading. there's no guarantees with investing we can get all the data we need but we cannot predict the future I'm new to all this investing stuff but I buy with instinct not because I read something somewhere you don't buy things you don't like what brought me to this site was the sets I brought out of instinct before I was none the wiser to what the sets I brought would be worth later on EOL market all depends on new investors & collectors or people who left the investing collecting game & come back them it will move down to the people who could not afford them sets at the time. Lego hold & probably still do hold more stock for the Sw range because it's there biggest line of sets it's just good to see another movie based themed set growing

Guest brickcrazyhouse
2 minutes ago, Rodeogeorge said:

I feel so old but I miss punctuation     

Was that done on purpose?