REMAIN or LEAVE...What will happen to the non-US LEGO investor?

14 minutes ago, jerryherb said:

Doubt it. from the district map it looks like NIR population's majority wanted to leave.

so is the big ben :)

The vote in NI was split but maybe Boris will be able to do a deal with Spain and offload Gibraltar, Scotland and NI in a job lot (sold as seen).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

Jeez, 250 years, and sure we have our "bama's" and "ssippi's" holding us down, but we still let them stay in and still accept them as our redheaded step children.  Get it together europe, this is no longer the middle ages!

This Alabama born, Cornell MBA educated, hedge fund manager thinks you need to keep your bigoted comments to yourself and take a long hard look at your worldview if you still paint groups of people with the same brush in that way.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CrabslayerT said:

I´m sure its not news to anyone now, but David Cameron resigning, the Scottish looking for another referendum on independance, is it possible the same call comes from Northern Ireland?

I don't think there'll be a referendum in the North any time soon. Sinn Fein will push for it but there's just no appetite for it north or south right now from what I gather.

EU without UK is bad news for both - EU will be weaker, UK too. Its like Texas and California leaving USA - it can be useful for them, but more probably both sides are losing something. If somebody doubt, whether it is good or bad decision, try to think who can be happy for sure - Putin... Weaker Europe means easier target for Russia and weaker business partner. To be honest, I havent heard any logic argument for LEAVE... Just emotional opinions such as "more sovereignty". But UK has more sovereignty than any other EU member, because of these exceptions! And if you wish to have a single market, than you need to loose a part of sovereignty. I think UK companies will have harder life, since they will be less competitive (it is more easy to choose a trade with a german company instead of UK company, because of more paperwork, etc). Plus big risk for losing Scotland  - 1 year ago were Scotish people pushed to stay in UK, telling them that an integration is better, now the English voted against integration, so WTF? The EU has many problems, but its better to discuss and solve them, instead of just go out. Its also a big fault of stupid EU leaders with their ignorancy of majority will, impotency to hold borders, etc.. With people as Juncker, Schultz, the EU was easy target for LEAVE campaigners. I - as a man born behind the iron curtain - was looking with envy to strong western leaders such as Reagan, Thacher, Kohl. But what we have now? Cameron? Hollande? Merkel? Juncker? Omg, people without any vision to future (I apologize for everybody, who prefer these politicans, but it is just an opinion of somebody, who had to leave under communistic leaders). The EU will have to change and stop ignore the will of the people and national states, otherwise its over.

For lego trading - same as other trading with UK companies. Maybe a risk of customs, very probably higher shipping rates (I need to pay more when I am sending a package to Norway)...

19 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Way to go Brittain. 

US stock market down 500

#Selfish

Seriously though, i hope you blokes survive this. This is madness.

Survive?
For the Love of benji, the UK voted to leave the EU, not move to Mars. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, uaford said:

This Alabama born, Cornell MBA educated, hedge fund manager thinks you need to keep your bigoted comments to yourself and take a long hard look at your worldview if you still paint groups of people with the same brush in that way.

Alabama is far from some bastion of progressive ideology in our country.  There are fringe groups in that state that constantly strive to take a portion of this country back to the laws and rules of the agrarian 18th century.  You can try and deny it, but if I recall it was in Alabama where Martin Luther King lost his life.  It is also the state where a county recently refused to fly the flag at half mass over the orlando shooting.  If these fringe groups had their way, they would pull an england, and in the process attempt to establish a rule of law in that state that would be a mockery to everything the United States stands for.

Sorry you were born there.  It obviously hurts when someone lays a stinger.

Another great opportunity to buy the Dow on a nice dip. Panic should build up nicely when markets are closed over the weekend and will create some nice buys next week. US interest rates are not going anywhere for now so plenty of cheap money to leverage into your resale business that will continue for at least the rest of this year. It was a good run for a very long time that was coming to an end - now we get a temporary reprieve.

Going to be weird seeing Marks and Francs again by 2030. Much pain ahead for Greece, Spain, Portugal etc. Resellers in Europe always had it tough, now it gets even harder. Don't really sell much to Europe or Australia anymore since their currencies caved a few years back but the Chinese buyers have more than made up for it. I would expect that trend to continue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uaford said:

38 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Alabama is far from some bastion of progressive ideology in our country.  There are fringe groups in that state that constantly strive to take a portion of this country back to the laws and rules of the agrarian 18th century.  You can try and deny it, but if I recall it was in Alabama where Martin Luther King lost his life.  It is also the state where a county recently refused to fly the flag at half mass over the orlando shooting.  If these fringe groups had their way, they would pull an england, and in the process attempt to establish a rule of law in that state that would be a mockery to everything the United States stands for.

Sorry you were born there.  It obviously hurts when someone lays a stinger.

I find it very telling which individual is trying to be civil, and respectful in their posts, and which one isn't.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mesje said:

EU without UK is bad news for both - EU will be weaker, UK too. Its like Texas and California leaving USA - it can be useful for them, but more probably both sides are losing something. If somebody doubt, whether it is good or bad decision, try to think who can be happy for sure - Putin... Weaker Europe means easier target for Russia and weaker business partner. To be honest, I havent heard any logic argument for LEAVE... Just emotional opinions such as "more sovereignty". But UK has more sovereignty than any other EU member, because of these exceptions! And if you wish to have a single market, than you need to loose a part of sovereignty. I think UK companies will have harder life, since they will be less competitive (it is more easy to choose a trade with a german company instead of UK company, because of more paperwork, etc). Plus big risk for losing Scotland  - 1 year ago were Scotish people pushed to stay in UK, telling them that an integration is better, now the English voted against integration, so WTF? The EU has many problems, but its better to discuss and solve them, instead of just go out. Its also a big fault of stupid EU leaders with their ignorancy of majority will, impotency to hold borders, etc.. With people as Juncker, Schultz, the EU was easy target for LEAVE campaigners. I - as a man born behind the iron curtain - was looking with envy to strong western leaders such as Reagan, Thacher, Kohl. But what we have now? Cameron? Hollande? Merkel? Juncker? Omg, people without any vision to future (I apologize for everybody, who prefer these politicans, but it is just an opinion of somebody, who had to leave under communistic leaders). The EU will have to change and stop ignore the will of the people and national states, otherwise its over.

For lego trading - same as other trading with UK companies. Maybe a risk of customs, very probably higher shipping rates (I need to pay more when I am sending a package to Norway)...

The reasons that were sold were the ideas of over regulation and nanny stating There is also a wave of nationalism across Europe which could affect the block I saw a poll today which British media used saying the Dutch were 54% in favor of a Nexit to use the term the over view is fear of whats to come as the budget meeting was suspiciously delayed until after the referendum. But there is a petition to have another as some people are unhappy that they lost.

Also Britain has apparently lost Nandos today as they are pulling out.

3 minutes ago, KShine said:

I find it very telling which individual is trying to be civil, and respectful in their posts, and which one isn't.

Point is, if you can't see the parallels between these small factions from a small but vocal minority group that seek to divide up nations and unions by creating isolationist ideology that only works against the overall whole of the nation then that's your loss.  

It will be interesting to watch the UK stumble into a deep recession as they now begin to head down an economic lost decade thanks to this vote.  It was very shortsighted by the old hat conservatives in that country and in the end they will come to realize the past they strive to go back to no longer exists and the world is globalizing faster than they can keep up.  This isolationist mentality will always come back to bite any government, whether it's locally driven, state driven, or even at the country level. 

Is it a stretch to find parallels in this vote to the mid-19th century southern states because they couldn't complete control their own economic interests because the influence of the greater whole of a Union was too powerful?  Yes and no.

I didn't know you had it in you to go beyond the bubble thread!  Congrats.

1 hour ago, mesje said:

The EU will have to change and stop ignore the will of the people and national states, otherwise its over.

It will be over before too long. Marine Le Pen in France and other nations will get a referendum soon, and when the stronger economies of Europe all leave, this EU project will be finished.

Not a day I'm proud to be British i have to say.  I live in an area where 60+% voted Leave and I guarantee you that the reason for such a big margin had nothing to do with the economy or European meddling, they voted Leave because they don't like coloured people. How they think leaving Europe will get rid of British born Pakistanis and Indians I'll never know but hey ho. 

On a brickvesting note.  All my forays on to European Amazon sites for cheap sets will probably stop now with sterling dropping. 

• Like 3

Frankly, a lot of the nationalism, fear mongering and blatant racism that's going on with the politics of the far right in places like the U.K., U.S. and France scare the bejesus out of me. What scares me more is the reaction of large swaths of people. I don't have a "horse in the race," so to say, as far as Brexit went but from what I could tell, the Leave campaign was run -- and successfully run at that, one might add -- on very little fact and a lot of "take our nation back" type of rhetoric. The implications are downright scary.

As for what this all has to do with Brickvesting... I think a lot of us in Europe will probably be looking at ordering from Amazon.co.uk if the sterling really plunges, as it seems like it just might. Now, if this whole Brexit thing really does send the world economy into a bit of a tailspin (more so than the reactionary trading of today), then I guess we'll really see if Lego is truly a better investment than gold. :)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

On a brickvesting note.  All my forays on to European Amazon sites for cheap sets will probably stop now with sterling dropping. 

Once the UK actually leaves, it will be worse because of import taxes, which I assume, will have to be paid then.
Right now amazon.co.uk is interesting for other Europeans because of the lower Pound, but again, once we'll have to pay import taxes for shipments from the UK, then it'll be over.

7 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Not a day I'm proud to be British i have to say.  I live in an area where 60+% voted Leave and I guarantee you that the reason for such a big margin had nothing to do with the economy or European meddling, they voted Leave because they don't like coloured people. How they think leaving Europe will get rid of British born Pakistanis and Indians I'll never know but hey ho.

That's rubbish in my opinion. We voted out as with no limits AT ALL on immigration from anywhere within the EU, the infrastructure could not continue to cope with such a demand. Where are people supposed to live, house building was not keeping up with immigration. People could no longer see a doctor in a reasonable time. People could not get their children into local schools, and if they could they are overcrowded. It's easy to cry 'racist' though isn't it? Actually, you'll find that white British people such as myself are very proud of the 'Singh's' of this country who have come into this country in the last century and benefited it greatly and fought alongside us in WW2 and gave their lives. It's not to do with the colour of anyone's skin, it's a simple fact of over-population with no control on our borders. It could not continue any longer.

13 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

How dare you. Your completely happy with the EU protecting terrorists over the common citizen. Not only that but policy is racist if your a skilled individual from outside you need a work permit whereas those inside the EU can come in without skill and with criminal records can just waltz in and carry out heinous crimes.

Just now, BarryZola said:

That's rubbish in my opinion. We voted out as with no limits AT ALL on immigration from anywhere within the EU, the infrastructure could not continue to cope with such a demand. Where are people supposed to live, house building was not keeping up with immigration. People could no longer see a doctor in a reasonable time. People could not get their children into local schools, and if they could they are overcrowded. It's easy to cry 'racist' though isn't it? Actually, you'll find that white British people such as myself are very proud of the 'Singh's' of this country who have come into this country in the last century and benefited it greatly and fought alongside us in WW2 and gave their lives. It's not to do with the colour of anyone's skin, it's a simple fact of over-population with no control on our borders. It could not continue any longer.

Look i heard all this rhetoric from Boris and co. I don't buy it and never will.  I know the feeling in the area around me and its down to racism plain and simple.  I'm not saying everyone voted Leave for that reason but i bet there was at least enough racism for a 20% swing which is disgusting.

• Like 1

Just now, Fenix_2k1 said:

Look i heard all this rhetoric from Boris and co. I don't buy it and never will.  I know the feeling in the area around me and its down to racism plain and simple.  I'm not saying everyone voted Leave for that reason but i bet there was at least enough racism for a 20% swing which is disgusting.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I don't deny that there is a small relative proportion who are racists, but not as large as you are attempting to portray. The people have spoken.