REMAIN or LEAVE...What will happen to the non-US LEGO investor?

Can somebody explain to me what the now unfolding discussion has got to do with Lego investing? Suprised the Mods haven't step in yet..

But it serves as a nice example of what the Referendum really has achieved - a country with a big ass divide within it's population...

Edited by TigerG

15 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Look i heard all this rhetoric from Boris and co. I don't buy it and never will.  I know the feeling in the area around me and its down to racism plain and simple.  I'm not saying everyone voted Leave for that reason but i bet there was at least enough racism for a 20% swing which is disgusting.

We have the same BS being shouted by the same type of groups in the US when it comes to the rhetoric about the population of hispanics, that has grown in the states over the last few decades.  Meanwhile half the people spouting this crap are from immigrants that only a centuries ago were having the same thing said about them.

Meanwhile, without the hispanic population, almost all of the produce, dairy, and meats that most citizens in this country eat would be much higher at the market, the housing market would practically implode because some of the best contractors and firms contain skilled hispanic labor in their workforce, and many restaurants would also have trouble finding the labor.  Granted, it's not all roses all the time, but it's not anywhere near the gloom and doom as the far far right wants to promote.

3 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

We have the same BS being shouted by the same type of groups in the US when it comes to the rhetoric about the population of hispanics, that has grown in the states over the last few decades.  Meanwhile half the people spouting this crap are from immigrants that only a centuries ago were having the same thing said about them.

Meanwhile, without the hispanic population, almost all of the produce, dairy, and meats that most citizens in this country eat would be much higher at the market, the housing market would practically implode because some of the best contractors and firms contain skilled hispanic labor in their workforce, and many restaurants would also have trouble finding the labor.  Granted, it's not all roses all the time, but it's not anywhere near the gloom and doom as the far far right wants to promote.

Rubbish the prime minster claimed WW3 would occur Obama said we would not get the trade deal even with the trouble with TiTip on both sides of the Atlantic. Then the chancellor said he would cut pensions and raise taxes as punishment for not voting the right way. And you say the Brexit lot were extreme?

Edited by Will 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

Rubbish the prime minster claimed WW3 would occur Obama said we would not get the trade deal even with the trouble with TiTip on both sides of the Atlantic. Then the chancellor said he would cut pensions and raise taxes as punishment for not voting the right way. And you say the Brexit lot were extreme?

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

You are entitled to your opinion, and I don't deny that there is a small relative proportion who are racists, but not as large as you are attempting to portray. The people have spoken.

I respect those who voted for this for informed reasons, I believe you are one of those people, but please don't start defending the indefensible simply because they voted the same way.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

As an American, all of the recent discussions of the Brexit vote have really been intriguing.  With the votes being tabulated as I write this, what do non-US LEGO investors/resellers think of the situation and its effects on the various LEGO secondary markets?

PS: I usually don't want to get too involved in politics, but this has definite effects on all of us.  Please be respectful of others and their opinions.  Thanks...

Came into this thread too late to warn:

Don't do it, you'll open a can of worms!

Edited by lobo1969

In all honesty, what has happened is that the UK voters have decided that they do not want an un-elected authority that cannot be removed from power to pass laws onto its citizens. Any democratic country in the world would do the same given the choice.

If other countries want that it is up to them, but we have decided we dont.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

Wow that article is a joke you are the sought person that drove people to Brexit by preaching from the hill telling them what they were and how to vote without reason or respect for them.

Sorry if it the satire wasn't dry enough for your tastes. 

But the ink from the vote hasn't dried yet, and obviously the stock market has reacted to it, and this is just the beginning of what will be a long decline in the UK.  I don't think good things can come from an isolationist island nation with few resources, especially once Scotland pulls out.  Maybe it's time to invest in some companies based out of Greece!  They have already hit rock bottom, so they can only rise up.  UK on the otherhand will have a long tough fall ahead of them.  It's not going to be very pretty to watch, and I do feel sorry for many in the UK that do not stand with the isolationists. 

But, europe has always gone through these periods in their history.  It's a serious battle of isolationism, then expansion, then isolationism and contraction.  The map in europe changes almost daily, so it's not surprising when it splinters, yet again.

1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

It will be interesting to watch the UK stumble into a deep recession as they now begin to head down an economic lost decade thanks to this vote.  It was very shortsighted by the old hat conservatives in that country and in the end they will come to realize the past they strive to go back to no longer exists and the world is globalizing faster than they can keep up.  This isolationist mentality will always come back to bite any government, whether it's locally driven, state driven, or even at the country level. 

2015-2016 UK population increased by 500,000 and same time frame built about 140k permanent dwellings. This has been going on for years.  I’m a top 5% income earner and if I tried afford to buy the house I bought just 5 years ago I couldn’t and it’s very modest house built 80 years ago for a working class family to live in.  Wages in some areas are suppressed to the extent people are earning the same wage as 2002, with parts of the UK being in deep recession since 2008. Lost decade, the region i grow up in, is entering it's third.

The working poor in the country have been abandoned by the political process and yesterday they were given the opportunity to give the political elites a bloody nose.  They did.  It was naive to think they wouldn’t.  As for describing former working class Labour voters who have moved to voting for a populist nationalist party as "old hat conservatives", simply demonstrates your lack of understanding in the change in the political landscape.  The Tories in the North and North East are considered toxic.    

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Maybe it's time to invest in some companies based out of Greece!  

Good luck with that one as they are giving most of the assets up to the the banks in repayment of loans

UK on the otherhand will have a long tough fall ahead of them.  

It wont be the first or last time in our history, but we will never be dictated to by anyone that is not elected by the people of this country.

• Like 1

It´s interesting that TLG´s pricing policy seems to dictate 1,20 exchange rate agains the euro, which is where things are now. One might consider that to be a fair rate considering it has moved between parity and 1,45 over the last 10 years.

• Like 1

The Washington Post reports that the latest Google searches point to many people in the UK not knowing exactly what they were actually voting for. That's kinda scary. Misinformed/uninformed voters. It just shows that the media, mainstream, left, right, whatever, isn't probably not doing a good enough of job of disseminating important information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

5 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

The Washington Post reports that the latest Google searches point to many people in the UK not knowing exactly what they were actually voting for. That's kinda scary. Misinformed/uninformed voters. It just shows that the media, mainstream, left, right, whatever, isn't probably not doing a good enough of job of disseminating important information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

Those are probably the people who didn't vote and stumble through life reading crappy magazines about Kim Kardshian's bum and never reading/watching the news. Someone's probably told them that something important has happened and they've googled it on their iPhone 17 whilst having their nails done.

Please do us the courtesy of not implicating the likes of myself in this. I knew exactly what I was voting for and so did a majority of others. That's just lazy journalism from some news agency thousands of miles away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, botchy123 said:

UK on the otherhand will have a long tough fall ahead of them.  

It wont be the first or last time in our history, but we will never be dictated to by anyone that is not elected by the people of this country.

So what is the end goal? I'm not sure I really understand the end goal.  It seems like it's one without any real realistic plan... and like I said, the UK is not exactly a resource rich nation, once you get beyond the intellectual capital, the country relies heavily on the industrial and agricultural output of other nations.  I think something like half the food sold in the UK is imported.  If it steps back into a period of mostly economic isolationism, that will not be good for it's overall outlook especially for a majority of it's citizens.  Definitely, import duties and tariffs are going to be much higher now.  Maybe the ultimate goal is just to collapse the economy so that many are forced to look elsewhere for work.  Who knows, but that's what seemed to have just happened.

Granted, I dont think this move is really going to effect me too much living in the states.  The US and Asian stock markets will recover in a week over this news, but i'm not so sure the same will happen in Europe.  But long term, if the EU stays together, it will turn around..  The UK on the otherhand will have a rough journey on it's own.  It's just not big enough, nor does it have the internal resources to compete globally with the Chinese, Russians, united EU, and North American markets.

4 minutes ago, botchy123 said:

Maybe it's time to invest in some companies based out of Greece!  

Good luck with that one as they are giving most of the assets up to the the banks in repayment of loans

Emerging markets!

21 minutes ago, feed said:

2015-2016 UK population increased by 500,000 and same time frame built about 140k permanent dwellings. This has been going on for years.  I’m a top 5% income earner and if I tried afford to buy the house I bought just 5 years ago I couldn’t and it’s very modest house built 80 years ago for a working class family to live in.  Wages in some areas are suppressed to the extent people are earning the same wage as 2002, with parts of the UK being in deep recession since 2008. Lost decade, the region i grow up in, is entering it's third.

The working poor in the country have been abandoned by the political process and yesterday they were given the opportunity to give the political elites a bloody nose.  They did.  It was naive to think they wouldn’t.  As for describing former working class Labour voters who have moved to voting for a populist nationalist party as "old hat conservatives", simply demonstrates your lack of understanding in the change in the political landscape.  The Tories in the North and North East are considered toxic.    

The same thing happens in the US.  We have a very high population growth too, and until the global average goes under 2 children per every couple, I suspect this growth will  continue in western democracies with moderately decent economies. 

But, yes, I see this as nothing but a bunch of people being duped by what would be considered the far right to create an isolationist strategy to weaken the economy and create a population outflow, which is where this will lead.  We go through this same rhetoric in the states just about every election, especially in states where unprecedented growth is occuring.  It happens a lot - last decade everyone was buying property around Las Vegas, Nevada, and by 2008 those properties couldn't be given away because the market collapsed..  Also, we have high priced housing markets in this country as well, especially in the more crowded major metro areas like San Jose, LA, Boston, NY City, Washington DC, etc etc where owning a home is pretty much a lost cause on a majority of the population, so people are forced to rent little spaces for very high prices. 

16 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

The same thing happens in the US.  We have a very high population growth too, and until the global average goes under 2 children per every couple, I suspect this growth will  continue in western democracies with moderately decent economies. 

But, yes, I see this as nothing but a bunch of people being duped by what would be considered the far right to create an isolationist strategy to weaken the economy and create a population outflow, which is where this will lead.  We go through this same rhetoric in the states just about every election, especially in states where unprecedented growth is occuring.  It happens a lot - last decade everyone was buying property around Las Vegas, Nevada, and by 2008 those properties couldn't be given away because the market collapsed..  Also, we have high priced housing markets in this country as well, especially in the more crowded major metro areas like San Jose, LA, Boston, NY City, Washington DC, etc etc where owning a home is pretty much a lost cause on a majority of the population, so people are forced to rent little spaces for very high prices. 

Unfortunately that’s only part of the story.  The anger in many communities is palpable.  I grew up in a lovely little place called Rotherham, most UK members will be familiar with, for all the wrong reasons.  But if you don’t know it, google it and add in the word abuse. Double down with realisation that it has now also become verboten to discuss any of the effects immigration on the host communities without being labelled racist.  You’ll begin to realise why the working classes are furious with the political classes.  But the rise in the number of nationalists is not limited to the UK, nor is the desire to break away from the European Union.  Another country will agitate for exit, be it the Dutch or French or whomever

Ironically though, with all of this, not much has actually changed, the UK is still in the EU and will be for at least 2 more years and a week in politics is a very long time, as they say, never mind 2 years.  On Wednesday everyone knew the EU wouldn’t last in its current form, today all we really have a better understanding of the time frame. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

So what is the end goal? I'm not sure I really understand the end goal.  It seems like it's one without any real realistic plan... and like I said, the UK is not exactly a resource rich nation, once you get beyond the intellectual capital, the country relies heavily on the industrial and agricultural output of other nations.  I think something like half the food sold in the UK is imported.  If it steps back into a period of mostly economic isolationism, that will not be good for it's overall outlook especially for a majority of it's citizens.  Definitely, import duties and tariffs are going to be much higher now.  Maybe the ultimate goal is just to collapse the economy so that many are forced to look elsewhere for work.  Who knows, but that's what seemed to have just happened.

Granted, I dont think this move is really going to effect me too much living in the states.  The US and Asian stock markets will recover in a week over this news, but i'm not so sure the same will happen in Europe.  But long term, if the EU stays together, it will turn around..  The UK on the otherhand will have a rough journey on it's own.  It's just not big enough, nor does it have the internal resources to compete globally with the Chinese, Russians, united EU, and North American markets.

Emerging markets!

The same thing happens in the US.  We have a very high population growth too, and until the global average goes under 2 children per every couple, I suspect this growth will  continue in western democracies with moderately decent economies. 

But, yes, I see this as nothing but a bunch of people being duped by what would be considered the far right to create an isolationist strategy to weaken the economy and create a population outflow, which is where this will lead.  We go through this same rhetoric in the states just about every election, especially in states where unprecedented growth is occuring.  It happens a lot - last decade everyone was buying property around Las Vegas, Nevada, and by 2008 those properties couldn't be given away because the market collapsed..  Also, we have high priced housing markets in this country as well, especially in the more crowded major metro areas like San Jose, LA, Boston, NY City, Washington DC, etc etc where owning a home is pretty much a lost cause on a majority of the population, so people are forced to rent little spaces for very high prices. 

The UK is 57% the size of California. How is it possible to have 350,000 people entering the UK a  year with no background checks? Would the USA accept this ?

Stick to Lego if you think Greece is an emerging economy by the way !

Guest TabbyBoy

The UK needs a massive correction in house prices and they need to fall big time. I remember when I bought my first flat with a 100% mortgage on 4x salary. I earn a lot more now but, there's no way that 4x my salary will buy anything bigger than a telephone box these days. I don't fear Brexit as the Swiss aren't doing too bad, are they?

I think Boris & Donald will become very good friends in a few years time ;-)

Perhaps we'll become the 51st state?

Edited by TabbyBoy

5 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The UK needs a massive correction in house prices and they need to fall big time. I remember when I bought my first flat with a 100% mortgage on 4x salary. I earn a lot more now but, there's no way that 4x my salary will buy anything bigger than a telephone box these days. I don't fear Brexit as the Swiss aren't doing too bad, are they?

I think Boris & Donald will become very good friends in a few years time ;-)

Perhaps we'll become the 51st state?

Perhaps we could replace Texas after Texit.

7 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:
So what is the end goal?

Have a look at the following, a very succinct and elegant description of what Leave hopes to accomplish. EU Debate - Oxford Union, Daniel Hannan MEP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzNj-hH8LkY

Las Vegas real-estate pre-2008 == speculative market (DRINK!)

Always found this was a good one

https://www.brexitthemovie.com/