Jump to content

New 2016 SDCC Minifigure Revealed!

Recommended Posts

The Lego Group has revealed the first of their 2016 San Diego Comic Con minifigure giveaways: a new "Hydra-devoted" Captain America minifigure! This minifigure celebrates the heel turn of one of Marvel fans' favorite heroes.  More information on the giveaway can be found at Entertainment Weekly.

What do you think of the new minifigure?  Please share your thoughts in the comments.

Captain_America-lego.jpg

 


View full blog article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all is said and done, the difficulty in getting these figures and the rarity tends to make them almost pointless. If there's a single group of figures promoting the proliferation of Chinese knock-offs, it's the SDCC exclusive Super Heroes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe LEGO just gives them away.  They should make like 5x the amount they do and sell them for $20 each.  They could make a killing.  Having said that I am very grateful when they make such minor variants like this exclusive because I won't be bothered to pay a ridiculous sum trying to track one down for my collection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2013 SDCC figures were produced in very low numbers and do command high prices, but the ones from 2012, 2014, and 2015 can be had for well below $1k.  Check out completed listings and break up the lots and you will see much lower prices.

Edited by zskid00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Huskers1236 said:

Since I don't know the Marvel Universe front and back, what's the point of this Cap?  Don't we already have about 50 versions of him?  Let alone a couple Comicon types.

Avengers 1, Avengers 2, Unmasked, Cap 3 Unmasked, Cartoon, Scuba, Space, Falcon Cap from Comiccon 2015, Buckycap from Toy Fair, and now this. That's all the various versions. Way fewer than Batman or Iron Man. This version is based on a very recent costume change and storyline where Cap is Hydra somehow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Avengers 1, Avengers 2, Unmasked, Cap 3 Unmasked, Cartoon, Scuba, Space, Falcon Cap from Comiccon 2015, Buckycap from Toy Fair, and now this. That's all the various versions. Way fewer than Batman or Iron Man. This version is based on a very recent costume change and storyline where Cap is Hydra somehow.

He's a traitor now?  Not surprising with how Civil War ends, or is this comic book canon?  Obviously my 50 was hyperbole, but I don't see much difference with this version that he deserves another SDCC figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

He's a traitor now?  Not surprising with how Civil War ends, or is this comic book canon?  Obviously my 50 was hyperbole, but I don't see much difference with this version that he deserves another SDCC figure. 

The entire design is different, other than the placement of the star on his chest and the A on his head, the decoration is unique. Plus, it's the version in comic books right now.

I think that these costume alterations are exactly the things that should be from SDCC. Throwing the variations that many people won't care about like this and Zur En Ahr Batman at SDCC where even most attendees won't get a chance to get them is a lot more palatable than characters like Shazam, Phoenix, Bizarro, Spider-Woman, Speedy, Atom, Black Costume Spider-Man or even the Collector.

Let the Chinese knock-off marketplace choke on costume alterations instead of unique characters that collectors would actually buy in sets.

As far as the Captain America storyline, I guess Red Skull used the power of the Cosmic Cube to make him believe that he's always worked for Hydra.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

The entire design is different, other than the placement of the star on his chest and the A on his head, the decoration is unique. Plus, it's the version in comic books right now.

I think that these costume alterations are exactly the things that should be from SDCC. Throwing the variations that many people won't care about like this and Zur En Ahr Batman at SDCC where even most attendees won't get a chance to get them is a lot more palatable than characters like Shazam, Phoenix, Bizarro, Spider-Woman, Speedy, Atom, Black Costume Spider-Man or even the Collector.

Let the Chinese knock-off marketplace choke on costume alterations instead of unique characters that collectors would actually buy in sets.

As far as the Captain America storyline, I guess Red Skull used the power of the Cosmic Cube to make him believe that he's always worked for Hydra.

Definitely prefer the alternate costume for sdcc.  Still mad that Phoenix was released as an exclusive. 

I remember reading a quote about the author of the new cap story saying "He isn't mind controlled" lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stackables said:

Definitely prefer the alternate costume for sdcc.  Still mad that Phoenix was released as an exclusive. 

I remember reading a quote about the author of the new cap story saying "He isn't mind controlled" lol 

Phoenix is about the only one that I would care to have for more X-men.  I can see the point from both sides, but to make a figure just to have some different printing seems dumb.  Make it a completely different Cap that you wouldn't see in a set.  I can see this one being in any Avengers or Captain America movie set.   We have Desert Batman and Pirate Batman, make Pirate Cap and give him an eyepatch.   BOOM.   SDCC Captain America with eye patch and peg leg and call him Admiral America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskers1236 said:

Phoenix is about the only one that I would care to have for more X-men.  I can see the point from both sides, but to make a figure just to have some different printing seems dumb.  Make it a completely different Cap that you wouldn't see in a set.  I can see this one being in any Avengers or Captain America movie set.   We have Desert Batman and Pirate Batman, make Pirate Cap and give him an eyepatch.   BOOM.   SDCC Captain America with eye patch and peg leg and call him Admiral America. 

The Avengers sets that are being released are either movie or cartoon versions. They haven't released a Spider-Man or Avengers set that's based on the comics. With that said, where better to launch a comic accurate version of the character from the most recent comics than at a comic convention where conceivably comic fans will be looking for new product that matches what is current? Instead, you are proposing creating something that matches no media, comic, cartoon or movies. What would be the incentive for pegleg pirate not Captain America?

Let me ask you this, what character/characters would you want to see severely limited in release? Which line of characters since you don't know the Marvel Universe or presumably care about them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

The Avengers sets that are being released are either movie or cartoon versions. They haven't released a Spider-Man or Avengers set that's based on the comics. With that said, where better to launch a comic accurate version of the character from the most recent comics than at a comic convention where conceivably comic fans will be looking for new product that matches what is current? Instead, you are proposing creating something that matches no media, comic, cartoon or movies. What would be the incentive for pegleg pirate not Captain America?

Let me ask you this, what character/characters would you want to see severely limited in release? Which line of characters since you don't know the Marvel Universe or presumably care about them?

I'm just spitballing here.  Not sure why you're getting butthurt about it.  I asked an honest question to which you were nice enough to answer.  Thank you for that.  I then gave my opinion to why I didn't like another Cap since we've already seen a bunch and gave an obviously facetious solution since we have a Batman for all occasions.  You don't have to agree with it, but getting bent out of shape about it does nobody any good.  Just because I don't know the universe back and front doesn't mean I don't care.(though I don't care THAT much)  I want to see someone new, not a new Cap with a different shirt on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I'm just spitballing here.  Not sure why you're getting butthurt about it.  I asked an honest question to which you were nice enough to answer.  Thank you for that.  I then gave my opinion to why I didn't like another Cap since we've already seen a bunch and gave an obviously facetious solution since we have a Batman for all occasions.  You don't have to agree with it, but getting bent out of shape about it does nobody any good.  Just because I don't know the universe back and front doesn't mean I don't care.(though I don't care THAT much)  I want to see someone new, not a new Cap with a different shirt on. 

Sorry, I just had to post this... Captain America, No Shirt :download:

rs_560x415-140407125303-shirtlesscap2.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

I'm just spitballing here.  Not sure why you're getting butthurt about it.  I asked an honest question to which you were nice enough to answer.  Thank you for that.  I then gave my opinion to why I didn't like another Cap since we've already seen a bunch and gave an obviously facetious solution since we have a Batman for all occasions.  You don't have to agree with it, but getting bent out of shape about it does nobody any good.  Just because I don't know the universe back and front doesn't mean I don't care.(though I don't care THAT much)  I want to see someone new, not a new Cap with a different shirt on. 

I actually am curious about which character or line of characters you'd prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

I actually am curious about which character or line of characters you'd prefer.

Sorry it took so long, tablet doesn't want to work with the forum so I can only type at work.  With my limited knowledge of the Superheroes universe, I'd like to see more from Fantastic 4, more X-men like Beast, Mystique or a Professor Xavier.  We also need a Raven to complete the Teen Titans.  I totally see the other side and that you would NOT want these as exclusives because it's now an impossible figure to get legitimately.  I know there are hurdles to different franchises which is too bad in the case of X-Men as that was by far my favorite group growing up.  I thought The Collector was a perfect example of an ancillary character getting made into a minifigure.  My wish was that there were more like 5000 of them instead of 250 or so.  It can be exclusive without being impossible to get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2016 at 10:09 AM, Huskers1236 said:

Sorry it took so long, tablet doesn't want to work with the forum so I can only type at work.  With my limited knowledge of the Superheroes universe, I'd like to see more from Fantastic 4, more X-men like Beast, Mystique or a Professor Xavier.  We also need a Raven to complete the Teen Titans.  I totally see the other side and that you would NOT want these as exclusives because it's now an impossible figure to get legitimately.  I know there are hurdles to different franchises which is too bad in the case of X-Men as that was by far my favorite group growing up.  I thought The Collector was a perfect example of an ancillary character getting made into a minifigure.  My wish was that there were more like 5000 of them instead of 250 or so.  It can be exclusive without being impossible to get. 

FWIW, Disney has been putting the screws to the X-Men franchise a couple of different ways. http://www.businessinsider.com/its-astonishing-how-far-disney-is-going-to-bury-the-x-men-2015-4  I don't know if we're going to get many more X-Men LEGO sets for awhile.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...