LEGO Dimensions

Sauromosis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portal had been rumored for a while by people zooming in on the box and trying to figure out the other characters shown, but this seems a little more credible to me.  Also shown are Chima, Scooby Doo, Jurassic World, and the Simpsons.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/more-lego-dimensions-expansion-packs-revealed-by-walmart/

I can almost taste the cake.

Having to do with a swirling vortex of wormholes would make the Portal property fit right in but I am skeptical from a product listing title with no image on the Wal-Mart website. The starter pack includes a buildable portal so for all we know this separate "portal" product could just be a way of buying it alone where people could purchase the game by itself then later on (if they want) the portal build. The $60 tag fits for the price of a new game these days.

Looks some of the add on packs may have real investment potential all on their own.  Will have to watch the life span of these and what other sets are released around the themes.  Even if the game fails (and maybe Even better if it does) there is a lot of potential in the figs and mini models.

Edited by jay4e

That portal set. I was not planning buying any of these, but... a brand new gun mould? Now please LEGO make a Gordon Freeman with a bloody screwbar! You made Revan, he is the other one I want!

​We don't do video game consoles in our house so I was planning on giving these a pass, but some of those would make fantastic display pieces. I wonder if anyone will part them out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool.... We don't let out kids play consoles, but this may turn the tide.

​I don’t play consoles, but this may........  

​This game doesn't appear to be that different from other Lego games, but I'd need to see some gameplay to know for sure, you may want to check out any of those games first to see if it's your thing.  Several are available for the computer. 

Now if don't play due to use/waste of time, I completely understand.

​This game doesn't appear to be that different from other Lego games, but I'd need to see some gameplay to know for sure, you may want to check out any of those games first to see if it's your thing.  Several are available for the computer. 

Now if don't play due to use/waste of time, I completely understand.

​Some very close friends of ours let their son play Skylanders .. but limit his time. I was a big gamer as a kid/teenager so I understand perfectly well what it means in terms of isolation from your peers/family and how it can consume all of a person's spare time... kind of like BP. ;)

To me it's all about the level of "immersion" in the games. We let our kids play games on iPads... we let them play Pokemon and Lego Minifigures Online but a) our family computer is in the kitchen, b ) those are nearly as immersive as modern console games and c) we (the parents) often play with them. They aren't being left alone in the basement to phase out in front of a game. We leave that for TV shows.... and even then, it's not the same as the kids usually "play" or at least "eat" while watching a show. 

BUT Since LEGO is a family hobby, I could see some merit to "family" time playing the game especially sharing some cool "old school" stories like Back to the Future, Scooby Doo or Dr Who with ones they already know (Lego Movie, Ninjago, Chima, etc).

• Like 1

​Some very close friends of ours let their son play Skylanders .. but limit his time. I was a big gamer as a kid/teenager so I understand perfectly well what it means in terms of isolation from your peers/family and how it can consume all of a person's spare time... kind of like BP. ;)

To me it's all about the level of "immersion" in the games. We let our kids play games on iPads... we let them play Pokemon and Lego Minifigures Online but a) our family computer is in the kitchen, b ) those are nearly as immersive as modern console games and c) we (the parents) often play with them. They aren't being left alone in the basement to phase out in front of a game. We leave that for TV shows.... and even then, it's not the same as the kids usually "play" or at least "eat" while watching a show. 

BUT Since LEGO is a family hobby, I could see some merit to "family" time playing the game especially sharing some cool "old school" stories like Back to the Future, Scooby Doo or Dr Who with ones they already know (Lego Movie, Ninjago, Chima, etc).

​Very similar here, involvement and limiting time are key, IMO.

If the original portal is going to be used indefinitely how is Lego going to manage new characters in the future? More specifically how will the game know what the characters look like 4 years from now when lego releases new characters? Is the game going to require internet access for updates?

If the original portal is going to be used indefinitely how is Lego going to manage new characters in the future? More specifically how will the game know what the characters look like 4 years from now when lego releases new characters? Is the game going to require internet access for updates?

​Not just access for updates, I bet there will be no offline version.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 1