Ideas #014: 21307 - Caterham Seven 620R

dcdfan

33 minutes ago, supergman said:

Wow, $80 for that?  Crazy.

all the IDEAS sets are overpriced compared to comparable in house sets.  not sure how much the designers make but im sure they tack that on to the retail prices, plus you have all that IDEAS site infrastructure to pay for....

I mean you cant expect a multi billion dollar company to cover any of the community expense out of their own cut... 

1 hour ago, jay4e said:

all the IDEAS sets are overpriced compared to comparable in house sets.  not sure how much the designers make but im sure they tack that on to the retail prices, plus you have all that IDEAS site infrastructure to pay for....

I mean you cant expect a multi billion dollar company to cover any of the community expense out of their own cut... 

%1 of net sales plus ten free sets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brian Briggs said:

Are those 1% of net sales plus 10 free sets really such a big deal for TLG? Ten sets isn't much compared to the thousands or even tens of thousand sets produced. And 1% will always be 1%, no matter if the set is small or big.

10 free sets for the original designer is peanuts for TLG. They hand out free sets to review-sites left and right, and just deduct that from their tax form as "Promotional Activities".

The set will always be priced such that TLG makes a nice profit off it, even if it runs at the same unchanged price for 7 years (*cough* 10188 *cough*). The 1% of net sales will be included in the projected price and sales estimates. If the set sells well it will be profitable enough to keep running it for years (ain't that right, 21108 ? ;)). Nice benefit for the original designer, and a nice steady contribution to the net profits of TLG.

• Like 1

On 19/9/2016 at 8:27 PM, Brian Briggs said:

Are those 1% of net sales plus 10 free sets really such a big deal for TLG? Ten sets isn't much compared to the thousands or even tens of thousand sets produced. And 1% will always be 1%, no matter if the set is small or big.

Not a big deal compared to licensing costs and they also save a little bit on development costs, although they still have to review and modify the original.

I meant more in relation to destabilising the IDEAS project and community as up till now, the winners will all have made modest amounts of money. Sets costing 200 euros or more would create more jealousy and there is the potential to coin some serious cash on those sales.

It would be interesting to know how much money the Ecto 1 designer has made so far - I am guessing it´s the set that has sold the most units.

So what's with general availability of this set in the US? I can see it listed on all the major retailers (Amazon, Walmart, Target, B&N), EXCEPT TRU. But not showing on EBay yet via Target's Ebay outlet. Was hoping to pick one up using EBay Bucks during the next promo, or to scoop up a TRU/BRU discounted GC to buy this set with. Anyone any insights as to when a new non-exclusive set will typically appear through EBay outlets and why TRU does not have this set?

So what's with general availability of this set in the US? I can see it listed on all the major retailers (Amazon, Walmart, Target, B&N), EXCEPT TRU. But not showing on EBay yet via Target's Ebay outlet. Was hoping to pick one up using EBay Bucks during the next promo, or to scoop up a TRU/BRU discounted GC to buy this set with. Anyone any insights as to when a new non-exclusive set will typically appear through EBay outlets and why TRU does not have this set?

Saw Caterham in TRU brick and mortar today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On September 19, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Miami Bomb Squad said:

Spend $20 more and get the Ferrari or the VW bug.
This set needs to go on sale for $45-$50 before I would even consider it.  

Perfect. Please. Don't buy this set so it'll retire sooner. Up to 12already

Edited by Dr. Brick

Guest TabbyBoy

I think Caterhams will be discounted at other retailers soon with no buying limits so, I'll waiit until that happens as effectively 10% ain't enough for greedy old me!

I have better fish to fry with the 2xVIP and London Bus, I mean something more exclusive, rarely discounted and not sold by every Thomas Richard & Harriet ;-)

28 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I think Caterhams will be discounted at other retailers soon with no buying limits so, I'll waiit until that happens as effectively 10% ain't enough for greedy old me!

I have better fish to fry with the 2xVIP and London Bus, I mean something more exclusive, rarely discounted and not sold by every Thomas Richard & Harriet ;-)

Too late, it´s out for 30 days and I think it is done!

https://shop.lego.com/es-ES/Camion-de-Carreras-42041