71018 - Minifigures - Series 17

loki221978

Back in January, I posted a list of "hints" from EB and Reddit.  Let's compare:

1) Circus Strongman
2) Butterfly suit girl
5) Battle Dwarf
7) Hot Dog Vendor
9) Corn Cob Suit Guy

Right off the bat, five of the named figures are correct.

3) Hello, I am a town character that is present in at least 25 minifigures since the 80's and I am never been released as a collectible minifigure

Gourmet Chef

4) Hello, I am a guy and seeing me will make people think what you thought when it was series 4 and there was one character related to series 1.

Surfer.  In Series 1, there was a Surfer and a Skateboarder.  Hearing there's a character related to Series 1 (when Series 4 came out), could have led you to a Surfer, but it was a Skateboarder (because there was a Skateboarder that came out in Series 4).  Hopefully you can follow that logic! :lol:

6) Hello, I am a girl, I will make many army builders happy, I have a counterpart scattered somewhere in the first 10 waves.

Elf girl.  Series 3 Elf Archer is the counterpart.

8. Hello, I am a guy and my silhouette is visible in the leaftlet for batman series. I am not a pirate. (Also stated to not be a Matador or Town Crier)

This is figure in silhouette that many believe to be the Highwayman.

10) Hello, I am a character from one nationality specifically.

The Connoisseur - as if the french bread, the french bulldog, and the beret don't give that away.

11) Hello, I am a girl, and I am related to someone in series 5 and someone in series 15 at the very same time.

The Veterinarian.  Series 5 has the Zookeeper and Series 15 has the Animal Control Officer.

12) Hello, I am a character, and you don't want to mess with me. I sound like a re-hash from someone in the first 5 waves, if this is historically correct.

The Dance Instructor.  Series 5 had the Fitness Instructor that included a boom box.  "sound like" and "historically correct."

13) Hello, I am a guy and this is totally bizarre. Really, nobody would have thought that I would have ever been a minifigure. And my price will sky-rocket. At least this is what Shintaku thinks.

Rocket Boy.  I'm not sure what the Shintaku connection is.  Best I can come up with is that Hisatoshi Shintaku was a famous Japanese long distance runner.

14) Hello, I am a guy and I will make the 80's great again. No I am not Donald Trump.

The Yuppie

15) Hello, I am a character, and I am not always on planet Earth.

Retro Spaceman

16) Hello, I am a character and I am somewhat related to animals.

It's a reach, but Roman Gladiator.  Because Rom Gladiators fought Lions.

• Like 3

Detailed Review of the Series 17.
Few of them are adorable, will defo add Chef to the Kitchen sector in my Assembly Square and Fitness Girl into exercising room :)
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2017/04/04/lego-71018-collectible-minifigures-series-17-review/

Mystery Character

As I mentioned at the start of the review, LEGO has asked us to not reveal the mystery character yet. We’ll update this with the review once the figures are available. However, I was expecting that the mystery character would be some obvious tie-in, or a particularly awesome character. It’s not. It’s a cool figure, to be sure, but if it’s a movie/game tie-in character, I don’t recognize it, and it’s no more unique than any other character in this series. I haven’t faintest idea why LEGO is trying so hard to keep it under wraps. Despite being one of the 3 most common figures in this series, it doesn’t appear in any of the official material—even the collector’s sheet with each minifigure simply shows a silhouette. I suspect that LEGO is trying to build hype (ala Mr. Gold in Series 10) without bothering to actually have an exclusive or rare figure. I can only assume LEGO has some special marketing campaign they plan to roll out over the course of the month that will explain it.

Bombshell peanut sized...

Edited by Shewie

Box distribution:

3 per box

Butterfly Girl
Dance Instructor
Elf Girl
Gourmet Chef
Professional Surfer
Rocket Boy
Veterinarian

4 per box

Battle Dwarf
Connoisseur
Hot Dog Man
Retro Spaceman
Roman Gladiator
Yuppie

5 per box

Circus Strong Man
Corn Cob Guy
Mystery figure (Highwayman)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

Box distribution:

3 per box

Butterfly Girl
Dance Instructor
Elf Girl
Gourmet Chef
Professional Surfer
Rocket Boy
Veterinarian

4 per box

Battle Dwarf
Connoisseur
Hot Dog Man
Retro Spaceman
Roman Gladiator
Yuppie

5 per box

Circus Strong Man
Corn Cob Guy
Mystery figure (Highwayman)

Anyone going to build a Circus Strong Man army?

It's a pity that there are only five females and all of them are only 3-offs in the box. I'd rather get more female minifigures in the CMF series and City sets. That would reduce the need to offset this imbalance created by LEGO themselves by sets like "Women of NASA".

The printing on the torso that flows onto the legs looks great. I hope there is printing on the back. Cape looks only ok. Would have liked to have a different mask mold. For the amount of secrecy and promotion they put into it, a reused black mask is ehh. Wouldn't make sense to have an alternate face either since the hat doesn't seem to cover the back.

Overall, it's nice. But for the shroud of secrecy behind it, it's not up to par.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elkkthunder said:

when do we think these will hit target/TRU

I know they leak early

The boxes will show "do not open until may 1st"....to that effect.  So,  unless an employee just doesn't pay attention to the rules or they have none on the shelves and get an exception, good luck.  Or, just ask when you get there.

• Like 1