Jump to content

LEGO Set Reissues - open speculation

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, KShine said:

Any unwritten rules or understanding (regarding set production) that might have existed between LEGO, and its customers is over.

There is no set that is out of bounds. A retired status means nothing. An exclusive label means nothing.

Every rare/valuable set in someones collection is now at risk, and buyers/sellers will now know that that risk exists.

Sadly, I believe that the rules of the game have been drastically changed forever.

This is the true. The business aspect for resellers in this field is changing. Going from no discount on exclusives being lifted to remakes to now Lego discounting themselves on relatively new products. I have been saying this for a while, selling sealed sets at the right time is just as important as buying in at the right time. You just never know when a rehash is going to happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been trying to come up with a better title for the thread for a couple of days.  This is what I've come up with for now:

LEGO Set Reissues - open speculation

Hopefully this will allow everyone to stay on topic and focus on what the discussion point is for this thread a little better.

Let's not come up with any additional themes, but just talking about sets that a reissued/refreshed (with Winter Toy Shop and Death Star being the two biggest examples).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Exclusive" has been a BS term for as long as I can remember. Stores label sets as exclusives left and right, while they are rarely actually exclusive to a single to store.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I've been trying to come up with a better title for the thread for a couple of days.  This is what I've come up with for now:

LEGO Set Reissues - open speculation

Hopefully this will allow everyone to stay on topic and focus on what the discussion point is for this thread a little better.

Let's not come up with any additional themes, but just talking about sets that a reissued/refreshed (with Winter Toy Shop and Death Star being the two biggest examples).

Much better title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MF with a Rogue One tie-in potential prior to the Han Solo anthology --  perfect timing for the relaunch of UCS MF  and flagship of the SW lego line.  

IMHO, they should have let DS 10188 age a little; no harm in it during this time.  oh well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, montreid said:

MF with a Rogue One tie-in potential prior to the Han Solo anthology --  perfect timing for the relaunch of UCS MF  and flagship of the SW lego line.  

IMHO, they should have let DS 10188 age a little; no harm in it during this time.  oh well

No reason to issue Millennium Falcon under Rogue One if they can just wait a year to do it with Ep. VIII or Han Solo. Better to focus on something relevant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a guess as good as anyone's...

Taking the top 10 of Most Expensive LEGO sets of all time from this site: https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/most-expensive-lego-sets/ (which took their input from Brickpicker :P ):

  1. Eiffel Tower
  2. Death Star II
  3. Market Street
  4. UCS ISD
  5. Mr. Gold --> Kind of followed up with the upcoming Platinum R2-D2 raffle!
  6. Statue of Liberty
  7. Cafe Corner
  8. Grand Carousel --> Remade in smaller version as 10257 Carousel
  9. Taj Mahal --> Re-released
  10. UCS MF --> Remade and enhanced

And we see a pattern emerge. Take the most expensive and highly coveted LEGO sets and bring out a remake or rerelease as a 'fan service'. 

I do not see a remake of the Statue of Liberty or the Death Star II coming out any time soon. But never say never ... 

A hommage to Cafe Corner could be a possibility, but it won't be identical to the original Cafe Corner. 

In my opinion an enhanced remake of the UCS ISD is the most likely set to come out, maybe as soon as 2018.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Haay said:

Death Star II

If I was a betting man, I'd say they are keeping this re-release for 2019 to coincide with SW Movie 9 (and I would not be surprised to see Starkiller Base II in SW 9 either :P )

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt they would be re-hashing Cafe corner in the same year as the new diner modular.
Green Grocer on the other hand..

I’m also guessing it depends on Lego’s sales during 2018, we’ve all seen how desperate for sales they are getting towards the end of the Fin. Yr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I doubt they would be re-hashing Cafe corner in the same year as the new diner modular.
Green Grocer on the other hand..

I’m also guessing it depends on Lego’s sales during 2018, we’ve all seen how desperate for sales they are getting towards the end of the Fin. Yr

A rumour is that at least one of them is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, redghostx said:


A rumour is that at least one of them is coming.

I bet it is GG. Just my damned luck. I could just sell mine for £750 / £800, but I don't want to, in case a remake doesn't materialise.

Edited by Captain_chaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Captain_chaos said:

I bet it is GG. Just my damned luck. I could just sell mine for £750 / £800, but I don't want to, in case a remake doesn't materialise.

Do you think it is going to go up much more in the current climate?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Do you think it is going to go up much more in the current climate?

I'm not holding for appreciation, I want to build it, but haven't mustered up the courage to metaphorically incinerate £400 yet.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I'm not holding for appreciation, I want to build it, but haven't mustered up the courage to metaphorically incinerate £400 yet.

Suicide by Lego it is then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Suicide by Lego it is then.

This is the problem with being an AFOL rather than a cold businessman. I could have sold this for £400 + profit and moved on, but no...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

This is the problem with being an AFOL rather than a cold businessman. I could have sold this for £400 + profit and moved on, but no...

The usual advice was to sell and buy a used one. Nowadays sell and wait for the remake fits better.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Val-E said:

The usual advice was to sell and buy a used one. Nowadays sell and wait for the remake fits better.

There's nothing quite like that freshly opened feeling though...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is the problem with being an AFOL rather than a cold businessman. I could have sold this for £400 + profit and moved on, but no...

Have we not learnt anything from Taj Mahal 2.0 ?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest TabbyBoy
3 minutes ago, mtchrs said:

Have we not learnt anything from Taj Mahal 2.0 ?!

Yes, LEGO can resurrect any set they want out if the blue at any time and catch us with our pants down.

They may re-release the Green Grocer next month for all we know. If I had a spare one, I'd sell it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mtchrs said:


Have we not learnt anything from Taj Mahal 2.0 ?!

Not yet, and therein lies the rub. If TM2 doesn't actually sell all that well after the initial rush of QFLLs, will they even bother remaking other sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...