Hudson's Bay Lego - No seriously

jeff_14

First they need to work on their in-store functions. Was at the flagship store yesterday and saw a bunch of Star Wars Black Series 6 inch 2 packs of Poe in civvies and the riot control First Order trooper ("Traitor!"). I had not even heard that these figures were coming out, much less in a 2 pack. $59.99 for the pack. So I go to buy one for myself and went to 3 cashiers who could not sell it to me because it did not scan in the system. I used to work cash at Canadian Tire decades ago and anytime that would happen we'd just override and manually enter the price to get the sale. Not for these half-wits. They said they couldn't do anything because it would skew their inventory. I actually said to each one, "So you'd rather miss out on a sale to keep your inventory accurate? All this technology and you can't just charge me $60 plus tax?" Apparently not.

Went back this morning and tried yet another cashier and despite the same problem, she just did the override so I could finally buy it. Aye carumba! 

First they need to work on their in-store functions. Was at the flagship store yesterday and saw a bunch of Star Wars Black Series 6 inch 2 packs of Poe in civvies and the riot control First Order trooper ("Traitor!"). I had not even heard that these figures were coming out, much less in a 2 pack. $59.99 for the pack. So I go to buy one for myself and went to 3 cashiers who could not sell it to me because it did not scan in the system. I used to work cash at Canadian Tire decades ago and anytime that would happen we'd just override and manually enter the price to get the sale. Not for these half-wits. They said they couldn't do anything because it would skew their inventory. I actually said to each one, "So you'd rather miss out on a sale to keep your inventory accurate? All this technology and you can't just charge me $60 plus tax?" Apparently not.
Went back this morning and tried yet another cashier and despite the same problem, she just did the override so I could finally buy it. Aye carumba! 

Truth be told. It does screw up the inventory. And the whole store can look bad if they do it too often. If the store already has a shortage problem, in particular if that department has a shortage problem, their manager will get on to them about it. If they're a commission based employee every sale is recorded. So they'll have a track record.

Truth be told. It does screw up the inventory. And the whole store can look bad if they do it too often. If the store already has a shortage problem, in particular if that department has a shortage problem, their manager will get on to them about it. If they're a commission based employee every sale is recorded. So they'll have a track record.

They are definitely not commission based... if they were they'd all be working for slave wages.

Hudson's Bay is the oldest incorporated company in North America. It would be a shame if they went under, but the only people who I know that shop regularly are 60+. You won't survive if that's your main customer base!

12 hours ago, gregpj said:

They are definitely not commission based... if they were they'd all be working for slave wages.

Hudson's Bay is the oldest incorporated company in North America. It would be a shame if they went under, but the only people who I know that shop regularly are 60+. You won't survive if that's your main customer base!

The Bay seems to be doing quite well, which is a surprise given where they were 5-10 years ago. They're no Sears. Every system has bugs or errors. You don't give up a sale out of worry about a de minimis inventory count. If that happens too often customers get frustrated and then your inventory problem becomes that you're not selling any.

Edited by jeff_14

49 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

The Bay seems to be doing quite well, which is a surprise given where they were 5-10 years ago. They're no Sears. Every system has bugs or errors. You don't give up a sale out of worry about a de minimis inventory count. If that happens too often customers get frustrated and then you're inventory problem becomes that you're not selling any.

Any good inventory system should allow manual adjustments .. a good in-store system would be to override the sale (allow it) and make a note to send to the inventory team. Mark the UPC (or take one of the items) and get them to add the product to the system and adjust quantity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure how to do affiliate links but I saw this pop up on my ebay feed. I'm pretty much tapped out on funds otherwise I'd probably grab a few. 

HBC $100 GC for $90

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-Hudsons-Bay-Company-Gift-Card-for-90-/192033781171

Not sure if cashback sites will hook you up if you pay with a GC? But the extra 10% sweetens the deal on some of their 20% off stuff. Doubt these arrive in time, I expect they're physical and not digital, but maybe good for Boxing Day purchases? 

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Not sure how to do affiliate links but I saw this pop up on my ebay feed. I'm pretty much tapped out on funds otherwise I'd probably grab a few. 

HBC $100 GC for $90

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-Hudsons-Bay-Company-Gift-Card-for-90-/192033781171

Not sure if cashback sites will hook you up if you pay with a GC? But the extra 10% sweetens the deal on some of their 20% off stuff. Doubt these arrive in time, I expect they're physical and not digital, but maybe good for Boxing Day purchases? 

How does this seller sell GCs for less than actual value? And make a profit?

No idea how they manage it. Not sure if it was the same seller last year, but we all bought a bunch of Canadian Tire GCs 90 for 100. No scam involved. 

Edit: Just checked. Same seller from last year. 

9 minutes ago, lobo1969 said:

How does this seller sell GCs for less than actual value? And make a profit?

Edited by Zelgazra

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jonkiller said:

Some sets at 25% off + 25$ off with 125$ checkout with PayPal + ****** 5% + 15% new credit card Hudson Bay!

Finally something worth acting on. Got a few Awing/Tie Fighters plus First Order snow transport combos for about $125 as both are on discount already. Like getting the First Order set for free each time. Great for army building. 

8 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

Finally something worth acting on. Got a few Awing/Tie Fighters plus First Order snow transport combos for about $125 as both are on discount already. Like getting the First Order set for free each time. Great for army building. 

Hmm, seems to be only valid once as my second order came in higher than the first. I'll consider this an extra $12.50 saving per offer. :)

Edited by jeff_14

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, eliminator said:

The original prices are all inflated however. That set for example really is only 10% off :( 

Still, not bad if you still need one :)

EDIT: I see now that this is in Canada. Silly me ?

Edited by MinifigW

4 hours ago, Vodium said:

Just a heads up. I had ordered a couple SW battle packs the other week. They all had multiple pricing stickers on them, they were shipped straight from the store rather than a warehouse.

Was there a "pick up at store" option? I do this with Sears in the past and have been getting mostly pristine boxes.

Just passed through a store and they are selling all toys for 20% off, lego excluded. But then they have another sign that says Nexo Knights, Ninjago, Superheroes and City are all 20% off. So basically you can get any toy at 20% off other than Star Wars and Friends lego. The Bay ain't stupid.