75153 - AT-ST Walker

Lordoflego

I just built this set today. It was a pretty fun build :)

Some interesting pieces used throughout. The ratcheting legs are nice and the rotating head is really cool, altough the 1:1 gear ratio makes it turn really fast with the slightest movement of the knob. The model is a lot bigger than I expected: the head is about the size of a large apple. Due to the nature of the model, it's not the most sturdy thing. It is stable, but if you touch the head it will bounce around for a few seconds before settling; kinda like a bobble head. The head itself is also not as sturdy as I would have hoped. The side panels are attached in such a way that they can easily be lifted up or down by accident. Luckily, a 1x8 tile piece prevents them from moving horizontally.

Overall it's a very impressive looking model and it looks good on display even without the stickers.

The minifigures are nice, but nothing too special. The helmet from the rebel trooper is a new dual molded piece. The one guy, Baze Malbus has a weird looking gun and I think it looks nothing like the thing we've seen in the trailer. He's using some kind of energy/ammo backpack, but I don't get why the minifig has a piece of chain.

I think 30-40€ is a fair price for this set if you're going to build it. It will do really well with SW fans. I'm certainly going to pick some up for reselling once the price drops enough next year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

I just built this set today. It was a pretty fun build :)

Some interesting pieces used throughout. The ratcheting legs are nice and the rotating head is really cool, altough the 1:1 gear ratio makes it turn really fast with the slightest movement of the knob. The model is a lot bigger than I expected: the head is about the size of a large apple. Due to the nature of the model, it's not the most sturdy thing. It is stable, but if you touch the head it will bounce around for a few seconds before settling; kinda like a bobble head. The head itself is also not as sturdy as I would have hoped. The side panels are attached in such a way that they can easily be lifted up or down by accident. Luckily, a 1x8 tile piece prevents them from moving horizontally.

Overall

Make sure the head piece is secured to the larger round piece below it.  I had this issue at first too until I noticed I didn't secure it well enough.  Then the turning mechanism works great with no "settling or bouncing" around.

Edited by LegoMan1212
more words
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

Make sure the head piece is secured to the larger round piece below it.  I had this issue at first too until I noticed I didn't secure it well enough.  Then the turning mechanism works great with no "settling or bouncing" around.

Yeah it's "in click". Maybe I wasn't really explaining it well. It's more because of the "springy" legs that the head bounces around. The head is pretty heavy for those thin legs, so it rocks back and forth when you touch/poke it. Not a big deal at all :) The rotating works great.

1 hour ago, DarthBall said:

Can it stand on a flat surface if both legs are not in the same position?

No, that would require significant articulation in the legs. You can't bend the "hips" or "ankles" in this model. The legs only have articulation at the "knees". Here's a drawing to illustrate where it articulates:

Naamloos.png

It's basically just meant for moving the head up or down. I find it looks best in the lowest position, altough it is more stable if you put it just one notch higher.

• Like 1

No, that would require significant articulation in the legs. You can't bend the "hips" or "ankles" in this model. The legs only have articulation at the "knees". Here's a drawing to illustrate where it articulates:
Naamloos.png
It's basically just meant for moving the head up or down. I find it looks best in the lowest position, altough it is more stable if you put it just one notch higher.

What I assumed. Would've been nice to display one in a walking position.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually picked up the box to look at it for the first time yesterday and was massively underwhelmed. This is so badly overpriced at €55 over here and the size of the box makes it feel even worse, it's so insubstantial, particularly when you compare it to sets which are actually priced cheaper like Wall-E or Ecto-1. You feel you get a lot more bang for your buck on those.

I had it in my head to get a good few of these, but not so sure now.

36 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Actually picked up the box to look at it for the first time yesterday and was massively underwhelmed. This is so badly overpriced at €55 over here and the size of the box makes it feel even worse, it's so insubstantial, particularly when you compare it to sets which are actually priced cheaper like Wall-E or Ecto-1. You feel you get a lot more bang for your buck on those.

Definitely the pick of the crop from rogue one sets.

You can pick it up from argos right now in the 3 for 2 offers, or you can just wait till next year when sales start

53 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

At 55 euros it does seem overpriced.  39.99 in the UK seems about right.  It is a big improvement compared with the last release of an at-st. I'll be waiting a while for investment but with a discount and 3 for 2 this should be available for £20 at some point. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Val-E said:

Sold out at EU Shop.

5 minutes ago, pete411 said:

This is a top seller for Lego. I don't anticipate it retiring until 2018. 

what a conundrum.  at-st seems like it would be the best performing set of the current wave and if it were to retire now, wow!

i have a hard time believing it is retiring so soon though.  

maybe its like a foreshadowing of EOL, like when 75150 briefly went to SOLD OUT and then came back for a couple of months.

34 minutes ago, cladner said:

what a conundrum.  at-st seems like it would be the best performing set of the current wave and if it were to retire now, wow!

i have a hard time believing it is retiring so soon though.  

maybe its like a foreshadowing of EOL, like when 75150 briefly went to SOLD OUT and then came back for a couple of months.

Probably the 40% off sale + R2-D2 was enough incentive to drive sales until it sold out entirely. Speculation about retirement seems completely premature.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, thoroakenfelder said:

Probably the 40% off sale + R2-D2 was enough incentive to drive sales until it sold out entirely. Speculation about retirement seems completely premature.

i'd say anytime a SOLD OUT appears, speculation is on the table.  again, why is AT-ST sold out while resistance fighter is TOOS.   because TLG makes no sense or they are sending us a hidden message. 

the same thing was said when Raptor Escape sold out.  I'm not saying AT-ST is going to be another RAPTOR ESCAPE.  

75150 Vader Tie Fighter Awing battle went to sold out for a few days - then came back.   everyone said this set  has been out less than a year no way its going to retire.  2 months later, it retired.

i hate it when TLG does this because AT-ST was one of my top hoarding picks for the end of this year, and now i have to rethink whether its worth it to roll the dice and load up on at-st now.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cladner said:

i'd say anytime a SOLD OUT appears, speculation is on the table.  again, why is AT-ST sold out while resistance fighter is TOOS.   because TLG makes no sense or they are sending us a hidden message. 

the same thing was said when Raptor Escape sold out.  I'm not saying AT-ST is going to be another RAPTOR ESCAPE.  

75150 Vader Tie Fighter Awing battle went to sold out for a few days - then came back.   everyone said this set  has been out less than a year no way its going to retire.  2 months later, it retired.

i hate it when TLG does this because AT-ST was one of my top hoarding picks for the end of this year, and now i have to rethink whether its worth it to roll the dice and load up on at-st now.

It's been discounted somewhere since Day 1. Divining signs and portents from SAH is futile and may be frustrating. if it goes retired before January, I'd be very surprised.

• Like 1