Do seals 'slip' - no, not the performing ones.

doon73

A few years ago I got me some LOTR sets from Argos in the UK. When I collected a couple had, in my opinion, been tampered with (the man who served me said that sometime people want to look in the box!). Of the two I ended up getting I've just gone to get one out to photo and have noticed the security seals at all corners have 'slipped', i.e you can see where the original glue was. The most one has moved is about 2mm longways, the others are less than 1mm. One has moved a little sideways as well, just noticeable but still 1mm or less.

So....... We're these tampered with like the others were or is this something that happens over time, I can't notice on any other sets I have (I don't have many).  I've tried taking a pic but it doesn't show up.

thanks

Yes, the seals can/do absolutely slip (for various reasons).

In your case (with all 4 seals showing some slipping), it seems unlikely to be a tamper issue (since they wouldn't unseal them all). Also, if there is no cloudiness on the seals, then you are looking even better (as it isn't very easy to reseal them without leaving some of that that cloudy effect). 

Guest TabbyBoy
24 minutes ago, doon73 said:

A few years ago I got me some LOTR sets from Argos in the UK. When I collected a couple had, in my opinion, been tampered with (the man who served me said that sometime people want to look in the box!). Of the two I ended up getting I've just gone to get one out to photo and have noticed the security seals at all corners have 'slipped', i.e you can see where the original glue was. The most one has moved is about 2mm longways, the others are less than 1mm. One has moved a little sideways as well, just noticeable but still 1mm or less.

So....... We're these tampered with like the others were or is this something that happens over time, I can't notice on any other sets I have (I don't have many).  I've tried taking a pic but it doesn't show up.

thanks

Argos? That says it all really. They are renowned for putting customer returns back on the shelves without a thorough checking of packaging or even contents. I no longer deal with them after my last shocking shipment of trashed boxes covered in catalogue number stickers.

However, if you keep your sets in a cold/hot/cold/hot area (like the loft) - don't. This was the cause of my stash of Kingdoms Chess sets becoming unsealed meaning that I could only break even when selling them recently. If you can afford it, use a climate-controlled lock-up like I do and make sure it's all insured.

Just list them honestly with good photos and say that contents have been checked and verified.

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Argos? That says it all really. They are renowned for putting customer returns back on the shelves without a thorough checking of packaging or even contents. I no longer deal with them after my last shocking shipment of trashed boxes covered in catalogue number stickers.

However, if you keep your sets in a cold/hot/cold/hot area (like the loft) - don't. This was the cause of my stash of Kingdoms Chess sets becoming unsealed meaning that I could only break even when selling them recently. If you can afford it, use a climate-controlled lock-up like I do and make sure it's all insured.

Just list them honestly with good photos and say that contents have been checked and verified.

Oh yes, they're in the loft!

re the last point, unless I open them how can I verify the contents? Are you suggesting I actually open and verify? From my perspective I'd be happier doing that come to think of it, even if it does knock a few quid off, worth it for peace of mind, and potential hassle.

Oh yes, they're in the loft!

re the last point, unless I open them how can I verify the contents? Are you suggesting I actually open and verify? From my perspective I'd be happier doing that come to think of it, even if it does knock a few quid off, worth it for peace of mind, and potential hassle.

You can weight them.

I also have this problem on 2 75054's and am having problems deciding the best way forward with regards to checking them before selling time. I brought them like this and it wasn't until I got home that I noticed. Problem was they were the last 2 I could find well after retirement. I am probably just going to open them and sell them as opened. If someone wants one them they will pay for it anyway.

I just show pictures of the sealed bags when listing for sale.

Right, just had a look on my brick folio and it seems I got these from asda not Argos (those in the uk will know the meaning if this to some degree). This has changed my opinion somewhat. I have two of the same set so will have a search tomorrow for the other one - in the loft! - and see what that looks like. 

Thanks all for input to date.

slipped and purposely unglued sets can be distinguished easily. slipped seal will appear clean and shiny, removed will be cloudy and/or have visible air veins/pockets. unless someone can make their own new seals its virtually impossible to re-apply unglued seal perfectly

Edited by jerryherb