[MOC] Approach to Jabba's Palace

dimnico

Guest TabbyBoy

Nice job - all we need now is a Star Wars "Architecture" theme ;-)

@Dimnico - Have you thought of selling these sets? People are making a killing on the non-LEGO-boxed Cathedral sets.

Edited by TabbyBoy
typo

Looks great. Love the forced perspective. Too bad minifigs don't photograph that well from behind. Why don't you turn them around and use a macro lens so it looks like they're taking selfies?!?

Thanks! I absolutely love the idea of the selfies, just need to get a mini fig camera and I'll definitely do that!

Yup I'll put another tick on the "would buy" tally. These are top notch MOCs, all of them. It's a fine blend of architecture, star wars, and Minecraft Micro. If Lego did a line like this, I'm sure it would be rather popular to the AFOL crowd, and could be provided at a reasonable price point (compared to some of the other AFOL oriented sets like Modulars). Certainly second the idea you should look into promoting yourself and your work, see what comes of it! 

This one is a nice augment to the previous ones, the forced perspective really works. Personally prefer the original scene with R2 and 3PO, I feel the colour contrast of the blue sky works better with the sand tones. Another job very well done. The rate you're cranking these out is awesome. Looking forward to your next creation, forced perspective or not! Keep it up! 

• Like 1

Perspective shots are a captivating style of diorama difficult to pull off their intended effect. Considering the base size limitation of the design, I think you did exceptionally well. On a different note in terms of photography, a shot from behind the characters using a camera's macro mode (or something to that effect) to focus clearly on the minifigures causing the background to blur out a little could help further the illusion of distance. However the background would need to be wider and possibly deeper for that type of shoot.

12 hours ago, dimnico said:

Which do you prefer? C3P0 and R2 or Boushh and Chewie?

With C-3PO & R2-D2 there is a frame of reference we all have seen while Boushh & Chewbacca there was none with the scene only implied. I like first one altogether yet still the palette and setup for the sunset in the latter is quite warm.

12 hours ago, dimnico said:

Also I am thinking of doing some more scenes similar to this, incorporating micro builds and mini figs but wondered if people liked this style? Should I stick to the micro landscapes I have been building or do more scenes in this style?

I would say do what you enjoy but also try other things. There is no questioning you have a knack for the micro builds and seems a talent for perspective dioramas as well. If you are up for creating more minifigure centered mini builds, there are these design styles generally called habitats.

• Like 1

Perspective shots are a captivating style of diorama difficult to pull off their intended effect. Considering the base size limitation of the design, I think you did exceptionally well. On a different note in terms of photography, a shot from behind the characters using a camera's macro mode (or something to that effect) to focus clearly on the minifigures causing the background to blur out a little could help further the illusion of distance. However the background would need to be wider and possibly deeper for that type of shoot.

I would say do what you enjoy but also try other things. There is no questioning you have a knack for the micro builds and seems a talent for perspective dioramas as well. If you are up for creating more minifigure centered mini builds, there are these design styles generally called habitats.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such detailed and helpful comments!

At the moment I am just using my phones camera but I think it's time to invest in a proper dslr. The trench run moc was shot on a 5D I was borrowing and it looks so good in comparison.

I've already started working on my next two so will post when they are finished!
  • Like 1