Photos and Experiences at BrickCon 2016 (Seattle)

henrysunset

I had the great pleasure of attending the four-day BrickCon Convention this past weekend, here in Seattle.  Now in it's 15th year, BrickCon is one of the longest running shows in the country.  It was my third year attending the full convention; I also visited the Public Expo three times before that.

JB2A2507-600x400.jpg
Los Angeles City Hall, by Bruce Heller.

We had an amazing selection of LEGO models on display, about 25% more MOC's were registered this year than last year!  My passion is LEGO Architecture, and I was rewarded with amazing models of the Norwegian Opera House, Los Angeles City Hall, and a massive model of Mont Saint-Michel to name a few.

JB2A2430-600x400.jpg
Mont Saint-Michel.

Not to worry, there was an excellent representation in all of the other themes as well, including Art, Space, Castle, Bionicle, Technic, Cars, Micro BrickCon, and more.  We even had three amazing models based on Game of Thrones.

JB2A2479-600x400.jpg
A collaborative Classic Space themed build called "WACKTRON"

JB2A2487-400x600.jpg
"The Edge of Glory" by Paul Hetherington was inspired by Dia de los Muertos and colorful Tattoo Art patterns.

I also brought a selection of LEGO Architecture models, including the models featured in my book, The LEGO Architect.  I was excited to unveil two completely new models at BrickCon: The first is a small model of Torre Cepsa, in Madrid.  The second is a 1:650 scale model of Rainier Tower, 1977, Seattle, WA by Architect Minoru Yamasaki. 

IMG_3122-600x450.jpg
My LEGO Architecture models on display at BrickCon. (Rainier Tower at left)

I was inspired to build at the 1:650 scale by the work of Spencer Rezkalla & Rocco Buttliere.  The scale is convenient for Skyscrapers, as a single story can be modeled using two plates.  (I will share an in-depth look at my model soon.)

Private Convention:
In addition to the models on display at the Public Expo, I really enjoyed all of the presentations, games, conversations with other builders, and after hours celebrations.  

JB2A2421-600x400.jpg
There is a gathering each evening with speakers, awards, and prizes.

BrickCon 2016 was a great experience, and I hope you are able to join us next year!

---tom

P.S. Additional photos and a longer review is available at: brickarchitect.com

• Like 7

Always a pleasure to see your posts, thank you for sharing. The Edge of Glory and that totem in the background are magnificent.

18 hours ago, henrysunset said:

I also brought a selection of LEGO Architecture models, including the models featured in my book, The LEGO Architect.  I was excited to unveil two completely new models at BrickCon: The first is a small model of Torre Cepsa, in Madrid.  The second is a 1:650 scale model of Rainier Tower, 1977, Seattle, WA by Architect Minoru Yamasaki. 

Nice.