Ideas #015: 21306 - Yellow Submarine

dcdfan

I don't know if any of you ever collected Mcfarlane toys back in the day, but they also did 2 waves of 8 figures related to the Yellow Submarine.  They were sought after at first, and actually were a popular series, but now they can be found at less than retail.  I'd almost suspect the same with this set after the thrill ride of having a set like this wears off for many. 

I do like the weirdness related to an offshoot theme like this, but I think for long term investment it would have to be part of a series of some sort, and not just the ideas line.  For example, an iconic music line with a set like this related to popular music titles/movies/artwork would be great.  For example, they could also have  a set based on "the Wall, Eddie from Iron Maiden, something from Kiss, etc etc.  If this was the 1st set in a yearly series related to music icons then it would have legs, but its not, so it will remain a standalone set.  So, over time I see it just being another interesting set that loses its luster as time trudges on. 

There´s custom minifigs and stages for all manner of groups on Ebay but no idea how they sell. Perhaps it could become a Dimensions series and you would have ZZ Top, AC DC, The Stones and Pink Floyd just to name a few. It´s like with Porsche 42056, if it does well there is scope to extend the idea.

34 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I don't know if any of you ever collected Mcfarlane toys back in the day, but they also did 2 waves of 8 figures related to the Yellow Submarine.  They were sought after at first, and actually were a popular series, but now they can be found at less than retail.  I'd almost suspect the same with this set after the thrill ride of having a set like this wears off for many. 

I do like the weirdness related to an offshoot theme like this, but I think for long term investment it would have to be part of a series of some sort, and not just the ideas line.  For example, an iconic music line with a set like this related to popular music titles/movies/artwork would be great.  For example, they could also have  a set based on "the Wall, Eddie from Iron Maiden, something from Kiss, etc etc.  If this was the 1st set in a yearly series related to music icons then it would have legs, but its not, so it will remain a standalone set.  So, over time I see it just being another interesting set that loses its luster as time trudges on. 

Ooh, how much I would love an Iron Maiden's Eddie!

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, fossilrock said:

I"ll definitely own one of these, but that's it.  This is not going to be a good investment because everyone and their mother will have them.  Do people not learn from Ghostbusters, or Birds?

Birds are still available if you know where to get them and also Ecto1 isn't EOL yet. Of course, we all know which set is the biggest turkey of the theme and worth less after EOL.

Don't know what to think about this one.

Investmentwise probably yes!

For personal collection well... I guess I'll get one.

But my opinion (first moment of) seeing these pictures: Minifigs look like some knockoff chinese stuff and the nowhere man is kinda creepy (well I guess that's not legos fault though).

Good thing though: I don't need to like every set LEGO every produces, other people can feel free to enjoy it without my blessings :-)

Guest TabbyBoy
16 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

Don't know what to think about this one.

Investmentwise probably yes!

For personal collection well... I guess I'll get one.

But my opinion (first moment of) seeing these pictures: Minifigs look like some knockoff chinese stuff and the nowhere man is kinda creepy (well I guess that's not legos fault though).

Good thing though: I don't need to like every set LEGO every produces, other people can feel free to enjoy it without my blessings :-)

On the other hand, I actually love the Exo Suit, it's just a shame that the other 7,023,667,234 people on Earth hate it immensely. If I buy a set in quantity, it HAS to be one I'm pasionate about. This is why I have no Death Stars or Ewok Villages as I can't stand them - sorry!

24 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

On the other hand, I actually love the Exo Suit, it's just a shame that the other 7,023,667,234 people on Earth hate it immensely. If I buy a set in quantity, it HAS to be one I'm pasionate about. This is why I have no Death Stars or Ewok Villages as I can't stand them - sorry!

I love the Exo Suit, too, so you're down to 7023,667,233 haters. 

Someday those green space-people will mean something positive. Some day. 

24 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Can I join the love-in, I love Exo-Suit foe the same reason I love Benny's Spaceship, brings me back to my Lego roots

I like Benny's Spaceship too but couldn't look at any of the threads relating to it last year  because it was hated and vilified by many because it didn't bring in enough profit quick enough (that's what I read into it anyway). It captured the older space theme really well and has retro written all over it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Alfiepops said:

I like Benny's Spaceship too but couldn't look at any of the threads relating to it last year  because it was hated and vilified by many because it didn't bring in enough profit quick enough (that's what I read into it anyway). It captured the older space theme really well and has retro written all over it.

I still hate it and am quite willing to go off on a rant right now as it has not appreciated since then and probably never will. If it were a Beatle it would be Ringo - gonna be around forever.

Edited by Val-E

3 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Oh well, still another 15 days of margin to find a new F5 button for my keyboard. The 1st being a public holiday I bet they are late on making it available.

Why is your F5 button broke. Does refresh button beside the "insert here what you want to find bar" at the top of your browser not do the same thing. Not being funny but I have been reading the "F5" button thing for years but have no idea what it does?

2 minutes ago, Alfiepops said:

Why is your F5 button broke. Does refresh button beside the "insert here what you want to find bar" at the top of your browser not do the same thing. Not being funny but I have been reading the "F5" button thing for years but have no idea what it does?

It was very useful for people with poor hand-eye coordination to get  Town Halls and SSD´s .