Ideas #015: 21306 - Yellow Submarine

dcdfan

On 28/10/2016 at 9:43 PM, doon73 said:

Just been reading the review on brickset and some (I.e most) of the comments are quite dismissive cos it's 'only the Beatles 'or 'they have no meaning these days' or 'no one over 30 knows who they are'. I'm flummoxed, do these people think Wall-E is the epitome of culture? 

I'm 26 and know who the Beatles are, I also get a lot of requests from students to play the Beatles. Also I have watched the Yellow Submarine movie but haven't watched Wall-E despite having a 5 year old nephew, (who has seen the Yellow Submarine movie also, and was excited that Uncle Nate has a Yellow Submarine Lego model) :) I think I know what to get him for Christmas! :D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Guess I was wrong about this one. Oversupply killed any flipping possibilities and it would seem it is not as popular as i thought. Maze and Doctor Who FTW then.

I was right to flip it for €65 immediately in the same week it was released. I'll have most likely until November 2017 to look for new buying opportunities of this set. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, wotguvnotmeguv said:

Judging by how many adults I know who want this for Christmas, I can't see this being anything other than an absolute winner when it retires.

Beatles collectables are a huge industry. Those willing and able to sit on a pile of these for a prolonged spell will have one hell of a windfall somewhere down the line.

Sitting on them for a log time will not help resale value.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mayor said:

So is it a good investment or will the Chinese clone it and make it worthless? How many do you believe Lego made?

Most people have already made their  money as they got before general release date and qf. This set is in stock in multiple of locations in uk so looks very unlikely to be out of stock for Xmas, so no more qf opportunities this year.

Only opportunity for investment is probably end of next year / start of 2018 when it retires. However this set is like the technic porsche, in the sense that it was perceived to be a great investment before release, due to the thinking it would be sold in normal / limited shops, but this is not the case as it is being sold by every Tom **** and Harry shop in uk so who knows how many are being made.

My local lego has literally almost 100 stacked in 2 cubes in middle of store, it's a fast seller but there will definitely be alot of supply for this one. Just depends if you think there will be more demand than supply once retires. 

This is one set that will perform better in UK than US, as more Beatles fans here. 

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, BarryZola said:

Think I'll wait until it's reduced and then goes in the Tesco 3-4-2 next November. Sorted :)

I've just got my first 2 with Snow Globe that works out the same and were mint ;-)

1 hour ago, blocp13 said:

was in brighton thursday and couldn't believe how many of these they had on the shop floor at sah.

If the Yellow Submarine would only be available in Lego Stores and SaH it would be a gift from heaven for us. It would be pure gold.

There are alot of Beatle fans out there. Which of most of them aren't lego fans. So Lego did the correct thing to sell it everywhere. Especially in the UK. Unfortunately for us. 

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Ciglione said:

If the Yellow Submarine would only be available in Lego Stores and SaH it would be a gift from heaven for us. It would be pure gold.

There are alot of Beatle fans out there. Which of most of them aren't lego fans. So Lego did the correct thing to sell it everywhere. Especially in the UK. Unfortunately for us. 

But, you'd only be able to get 5x at a time (and probably once!) as with the Mars Rover. It could still do well as the Delorean seemed too availabe and too overproduced at the time. 2016/2017 is the tipping point and I think half of our competition will bail a year from now.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

But, you'd only be able to get 5x at a time (and probably once!) as with the Mars Rover. It could still do well as the Delorean seemed too availabe and too overproduced at the time. 2016/2017 is the tipping point and I think half of our competition will bail a year from now.

Delorean came out in 2013. That is 3 years ago. 

Wouldn't you agree times were better for us then?

And since when did you honour Lego's purchasing limit? Didn't you have a zillion Mars Rovers?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Ciglione said:

Delorean came out in 2013. That is 3 years ago. 

Wouldn't you agree times were better for us then?

And since when did you honour Lego's purchasing limit? Didn't you have a zillion Mars Rovers?

I did honour the LEGO limit, 10 times! The bulk came from Dallas TX where I got another 125 from a colleague who got divorced and had to offload within weeks. I worked for AA then so flew over free with a spare suitcase ever time!

BTW... I've seen the YS for £100 in Dubai - LOL

I can only imagine Moscow charging more (like they do for everthing else!). I don't ship to Russia, too dodgy.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I did honour the LEGO limit, 10 times! The bulk came from Dallas TX where I got another 125 from a colleague who got divorced and had to offload within weeks. I worked for AA then so flew over free with a spare suitcase ever time!

BTW... I've seen the YS for £100 in Dubai - LOL

I can only imagine Moscow charging more (like they do for everthing else!). I don't ship to Russia, too dodgy.

So you concur?

29 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

must say even though it is to early for me to purchase this set, it did put me off investment, seeing that amount of stock that is in the lego store, I don't think I have ever seen any other set displayed this way. The EV was on a lower shelf in a mid store shelving unit pretty much out of site and they are retiring this and it is to be believed with lots of stock left. YS has only just come out and is the most stocked and on display set in store.

9 minutes ago, blocp13 said:

must say even though it is to early for me to purchase this set, it did put me off investment, seeing that amount of stock that is in the lego store, I don't think I have ever seen any other set displayed this way. The EV was on a lower shelf in a mid store shelving unit pretty much out of site and they are retiring this and it is to be believed with lots of stock left. YS has only just come out and is the most stocked and on display set in store.

Well... you still have plenty of time to buy it. 

If I have learned one thing till now it is not to buy sets at RRP on release date. Or you have to be a flipper pro. Which I am not.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
41 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

So you concur?

If you have me by the short & curlies then yes! ;-)

Do you think that things are really so bad that you had to wind down? I know there's been some shocks like the Tumbler and Red5 being total duds but, sales like Tesco's 3-for-2 are easy money if you don't buy what everybody else is. Those Volcano Explorers are now out of stock as Tesco and on Back Order at LEGO UK. I did keep a few back after the "Big Flip" so I'll try one at 1p start and see what happens.

As for the EV, I'm not allowed to swear on here so I won't comment!

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

If you have me by the short & curlies then yes! ;-)

Do you think that things are really so bad that you had to wind down? I know there's been some shocks like the Tumbler and Red5 being total duds but, sales like Tesco's 3-for-2 are easy money if you don't buy what everybody else is. Those Volcano Explorers are now out of stock as Tesco and on Back Order at LEGO UK. I did keep a few back after the "Big Flip" so I'll try one at 1p start and see what happens.

As for the EV, I'm not allowed to swear on here so I won't comment!

Yes, I am winding down. Cause I believe it is smarter to have a smaller stack so you are more flexible. I am selling most I have except for the usual suspects like TH, R2 and HH.

I can see it on my ebay sales. Last year around this time I had one or two packages to send out daily. Now it is one a week if I am lucky.

So that are the facts for me. Maybe yours are different. But I have to do it with mine. Not yours.