Ideas #015: 21306 - Yellow Submarine

dcdfan

Many of the sold out sale sets have now moved to retired product, but not all interestingly. I think some may resurrect for a few weeks with returns, logistics etc. 

On 27/12/2017 at 2:01 PM, giannini78 said:

Eventually and it will take a while, but a mint in box Yellow Submarine will be highly sought after.

I agree. The current problem is that Tesco still have tons of these still in stock (at least 99), and there are lots more in the wild. 

Edited by Villager Chris

2 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

If the Tesco ones go below around £36 they will be no more. It will happen. Just depends who is around when the price drop happens. Not everyone will be able to get in on it.

Yes, especially as there is not likely to be 3 for 2 until close to Easter. Cat and Mouse. 

This is going to be Doctor Who, 12 months on. 

Not sure about this one to be honest. The Beatles are something else. I'll be honest, I think I've fu**ed this one up. I was waiting for a good sale this coming year to stock up on these, but it's gone already. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Tesco mate to get me 10% off and grab 10 or something, just as a last resort. Around 150 sellers on UK Ebay though, so it will be a long hold. Good set though. It will come good. No doubt at all.

Edit - This isn't a Dr Who, these will shift quickly.

Edited by BarryZola

2 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

I reckon @TabbyBoy will be buying quite a few soon. He's lurking quietly in the background! 

I reckon he's probably doing nicely already on these. I seem to remember that he's been stocking up. Good move. My buddy has just ordered me several. :) Not the price I wanted, but these won't be around much longer under £45. When they're £100 plus I'm not going to be upset.

2 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

I reckon he's probably doing nicely already on these. I seem to remember that he's been stocking up. Good move. My buddy has just ordered me several. :) Not the price I wanted, but these won't be around much longer under £45. When they're £100 plus I'm not going to be upset.

Sadly not made a dent into the 99. Could be hundreds of them, who knows? 

Tesco will probably do a points promotion soon. That could be enough. 

Tesco now have 10 less Subs. Wouldn't do this on any other set, and I ain't been buying much at all this year. Don't believe the hype. This is THE set for this year. It will take a while to clear the low-ballers, no doubt. This is without doubt the no-brainer of the decade though. No mistake.

I think 12 months down the line there might be sneers towards how this is getting along, purely because I can see it lingering at £49.99 somewhere or other, but longer term I have absolutely no doubt that it's a huge winner.

I still have faith in Doctor Who too, for that matter. Just may take a few years to get to the level I'm looking for.

1 minute ago, wotguvnotmeguv said:

I think 12 months down the line there might be sneers towards how this is getting along, purely because I can see it lingering at £49.99 somewhere or other, but longer term I have absolutely no doubt that it's a huge winner.

I still have faith in Doctor Who too, for that matter. Just may take a few years to get to the level I'm looking for.

I'm with you, on both counts.

49 minutes ago, BarryZola said:

Tesco now have 10 less Subs. Wouldn't do this on any other set, and I ain't been buying much at all this year. Don't believe the hype. This is THE set for this year. It will take a while to clear the low-ballers, no doubt. This is without doubt the no-brainer of the decade though. No mistake.

Quick advice: At the beginning of every year I do a list with quantity and desired price, Like 50 pcs for 25€, 100 pcs for 20€.

If you stick to the list/plan, you will not buy stuff, only because you have the feeling you are missing out on something.

Sometimes it hurts: Last year I got no wall-e because I couldnt get them for 35€

Just now, Sozial said:

Quick advice: At the beginning of every year I do a list with quantity and desired price, Like 50 pcs for 25€, 100 pcs for 20€.

If you stick to the list/plan, you will not buy stuff, only because you have the feeling you are missing out on something.

Sometimes it hurts: Last year I got no wall-e because I couldnt get them for 35€

Lack of flexibility does not good investment strategy make.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Val-E said:

Who says they are really 99 left? Might just be max order limit - also known as default Tabby.

I may be done with YS as IWOOT's deal of the year helped me out. I'll still bite at <£35. An easy >£100 set by mid 2019. Even Doctor Who and Ecto-1 are waking up now.

As long as it's not LEGO or Amazon, there's nothing to stop you making multi max orders.

2 hours ago, Sozial said:

It's fine. My Wall-E's are paying towards my Subs :)

• Like 1

The issue I have with YS and Doctor Who is the slow appreciation. Whilst it may be fine long term, you're looking at probably 2 to 3 years before you get a return you are happy with. 

You can still get Doctor Who today for around £50. Six months ago is was around £45. I like both sets and I'm pleased to have them. But when I see money tied up long term and see how many sellers there are, it puts a limit on my enthusiasm. 

5 hours ago, Villager Chris said:

The issue I have with YS and Doctor Who is the slow appreciation. Whilst it may be fine long term, you're looking at probably 2 to 3 years before you get a return you are happy with. 

You can still get Doctor Who today for around £50. Six months ago is was around £45. I like both sets and I'm pleased to have them. But when I see money tied up long term and see how many sellers there are, it puts a limit on my enthusiasm. 

If you look hard enough, you can still find Dr Who on the shelves.  Came across a couple last week for RRP.  Retailer being stubborn and not reduced the prices, hence, why its still gathering dust on the shelves.  Wouldn't surprise me to see it still there, this time next year.  With regards to YS.  Jury is out on this for me.  I have some in my inventory, but didn't pull the trigger on this, like i did last year with Wall-E, due to the fact that this is probably one of the most hoarded sets yet.  Still on the shelves in Lego stores and in some numbers, despite discount.  Similarly can be easily found at other retailers.  But the recent sold prices on eBay are at RRP, which is surprising.  So hard one to judge for short term performance.  Medium term, in 2 yrs time, can see this hitting £100. 

On 1.01.2018 at 7:59 AM, wotguvnotmeguv said:

This has broader international appeal than Doctor Who though, which could be telling.

I bet those 99 at Tesco will soon start moving if word reaches HUKD that it’s now retired.

Those will be back in stock even in march 2018 once stores will start returning those back to warehouse.
Local LEGO stores are overhoarded with those with still plenty piled up like Ferrero Rocher Christmas Tree.

I'm more than certain this one will share same EOL drama like A-Wing vs Tie last year when the set returned back from the vault after 2 months or so full RPP with limit 5 or something if I recall.

6 minutes ago, Shewie said:

Those will be back in stock even in march 2018 once stores will start returning those back to warehouse.
Local LEGO stores are overhoarded with those with still plenty piled up like Ferrero Rocher Christmas Tree.

I'm more than certain this one will share same EOL drama like A-Wing vs Tie last year when the set returned back from the vault after 2 months or so full RPP with limit 5 or something if I recall.

75150 was in stock on Amazon UK only last month