Large Collection STOLEN in West Michigan

4cs

Some of you might remember I posted this Summer about selling off a 1,000+ collection of Lego to raise money for a new home purchase. I input everything into Brickfolio and discovered I had 1,098 sets valued at $55k. I started selling the sets selectively on Craigslist and Amazon and raised about $16-18k over the last month and then came into my warehouse this morning only to discover that most of my remaining sets have been stolen.

The Sheriff's department just left, but it is pretty obvious the suspects knew what they were looking for, they took some sets and left others. They hauled out a couple hundred sets and even stole two moving dollies in the process. I only met 6 buyers here, and have turned their names over to the police in any hopes they can investigate and catch them. I noticed this past Monday just two sets were missing (a Temple of Airjitzu and an Ewok Village) and left work last night to purchase a security camera system with plans to install them today before the weekend.

Please keep an eye out for anyone trying to dump a new collection for sale online in the West Michigan area. I would think Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, Brick Classifieds, etc. These were Lego people, they knew what to take and what to leave. The volume of the sets suggests to me they plan on selling them whole or parting them out (10 of this, 15 of that, 8 of those, etc.). I would really appreciate any information that anyone finds regarding new sellers or large amounts being sold off a large discounts be passed on to me. If you prefer to contact the Kent County Sheriff's Department directly, I can pm their contact information.

On a side note, we moved into our new house last week and love it. It breaks my heart that people I invited in to see and purchase from our collection would hurt us this way. Some of the older sets I was saving for my four kids to give as special Holiday and Graduation gifts when they were older. Now I need to go do a new inventory and discover the real extent of the damages.

Thanks,

Jonathan

This is a scary story. So sorry for what you have gone through here, and I hope that you have enough information to lead to the suspects. I do not know where your warehouse is, but if it is a self-storage type unit, I would make sure folks there are also questioned.

Keep us posted and let us know how else we can help (I'm not in the West Michigan area). Perhaps posting a set list once you have it will be useful in hunting these folks down.

So sorry that you are going through this.

I totally feel your pain as so many of my collections, not just lego, I collect for my kids to enjoy later in life.

Really hope the authorities find these guys!

What camera system did you get?

I recently put in Nest Cams in my house.  Both indoor and outdoor cams work remarkably well, and looking back at footage is super easy.  There is however the issue of it constantly recording to the cloud and having that info "available"...

12 minutes ago, 4cs said:

Some of you might remember I posted this Summer about selling off a 1,000+ collection of Lego to raise money for a new home purchase. I input everything into Brickfolio and discovered I had 1,098 sets valued at $55k. I started selling the sets selectively on Craigslist and Amazon and raised about $16-18k over the last month and then came into my warehouse this morning only to discover that most of my remaining sets have been stolen.

The Sheriff's department just left, but it is pretty obvious the suspects knew what they were looking for, they took some sets and left others. They hauled out a couple hundred sets and even stole two moving dollies in the process. I only met 6 buyers here, and have turned their names over to the police in any hopes they can investigate and catch them. I noticed this past Monday just two sets were missing (a Temple of Airjitzu and an Ewok Village) and left work last night to purchase a security camera system with plans to install them today before the weekend.

Please keep an eye out for anyone trying to dump a new collection for sale online in the West Michigan area. I would think Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon, Brick Classifieds, etc. These were Lego people, they knew what to take and what to leave. The volume of the sets suggests to me they plan on selling them whole or parting them out (10 of this, 15 of that, 8 of those, etc.). I would really appreciate any information that anyone finds regarding new sellers or large amounts being sold off a large discounts be passed on to me. If you prefer to contact the Kent County Sheriff's Department directly, I can pm their contact information.

On a side note, we moved into our new house last week and love it. It breaks my heart that people I invited in to see and purchase from our collection would hurt us this way. Some of the older sets I was saving for my four kids to give as special Holiday and Graduation gifts when they were older. Now I need to go do a new inventory and discover the real extent of the damages.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Investigating the theft of Lego sets sounds like a perfect combination of hobby and profession for Mr. Rockefeller.

I actually had a dream last night that someone stole all of my built collection items out of our moving truck as we were moving (we are actually moving soon and this did cross my mind, hence the dream about it i suppose)

This sucks, i genuinely have that terrible feeling in my gut for you :( I hope something goes your way in the investigation.

Guest TabbyBoy

Sorry to hear the bad news and I hope that your insurance covers the current value of the items stolen. I've always been worried about this and I've always either met buyers (only who I've dealt with before) at my house where we have hidden CCTV in all rooms and everywhere outside and no LEGO is stored there apart from what's being picked up. I will NEVER meet a buyer at my lock-up for obvious reasons. I often have nightmares about my lock-up either being flooded, catching fire or even falling into a sink-hole! It's very secure and fully insured so I doubt that I'll be turned over any time soon.

Thieves are just the scum of the Earth! They are just too damn lazy to get a proper job or make a decent living!

Sorry to hear about this. Reinforces the need to meet people in public places for local pickup. Don't let people inside your vault!

I have to think this mix of items would be easy to spot on the traditional sources- ebay, CL, etc. So if they are "smart" they would want to fence them at a pawn shop or something that doesn't involve an ad, I'd look around at those. But it's going to be near impossible to get any recourse since Lego does not include serial numbers to prove ownership.

This breaks my heart. I hope you, your family, and the authorities are able to bring some peace and justice to this situation. If nothing else, be thankful that this was not a home invasion and you are all still safe. I cannot condone such a violation, but at least this was a nonviolent act. 

Did you check to see if your homeowners insurance covers any of it?When I inventoried my Lego, I had called my insurance company, and they said that as long as I have an inventory, I am covered against theft. I never let anyone see my collection for this reason, nor do I let anyone pick up Lego from my home.

• 2 weeks later...