Minifigure Quality

Manse1001

Apologies if this has been discussed before but it's something that I've noticed recently and it's really started to frustrate me.

I was looking over my sons minifigures and literally every single one he owns has got cracks in the arms, these figures aren't even old or heavily used. He's not rough with them, he just plays with them like any little boy would.

What I noticed more is when I was looking through some of my vintage sets, I have minifigures in that box from the 80's, poorly stored, probably heavily played with, thrown and kicked about over the years, but not one has a crack on them (see below in black and blue).

Therefore I ask the question, is the quality of Lego getting worst? I'm not having a rant, I still love the brick and always will, but it was just a general observation...

3bfb80ae98a7b78ff480889f50b453e9.jpg

2034b6c7d619a43814f0696d0c197dd8.jpg

Guest TabbyBoy

Could this be the result of them being made in China where their quality ethic is somewhat lacking compared to elsewhere? I did read a recent review on the Beatles Yellow Submarine and I also found their report on badly printed minifigures quite disturbing as I'd expect a "perfect" set to be sent out for review. I've noticed over the last couple of years that LEGO quality isn't what it was especially with inconsistent colours as misaligned stickers (I hate bloody stickers!). If I can avoid items made in China, I will. I don't easily part with money that ends up in the greedy hands of corrupt companies and governments.

@Manse1001 Yes, I can honesty say that quality isn't what it was and in some cases it's totally unacceptable. I in fact returned a Haunted House 2 years ago due to colour inconsistencies in the green bricks. I've even had eBay customers notice and I've had to give them partial refunds wiping out any profit. After eBay/PayPal fees, the drop in quality is the biggest concern I have with LEGO investing. Remember it's us that the customer complains to not LEGO. That's the main downside of being a reseller rather than a retailer.

I think it's just a matter of time before other brands catch up or even overtake! When (not if) that time comes, I'm calling it a day.

@TabbyBoy I also agreed quality isn't what is used to. I first noticed the colour inconsistency when building the GBHQ, the red blocks were two different shades, in all honestly if I hadn't have purchased direct from SAH I would have questioned it. It actually gave a more authentic look to the building exterior, but it was by luck not by design. But again, moving back to my older sets, the only marks the bricks have are teeth marks (I know, sorry but I was a kid) but there are certainly no cracks and as I say, these sets are 20-30 years old, and stored appallingly. All my new sets including my sons are stored nicely on display shelves which he gets down from time to time to play with. Some bricks have the odd crack, which is bad but literally all his minifigs are damaged. Most of his sets are SW so it's hard to comment if they are more prone to cracking, however I noticed a crack on his stay puft fig tonight. The shame is at present we're building the original DS and Cinda's castle, he loves playing with the figures whilst we're building but of late I'm worried to let him play with them, crazy really!! Lego was always the one toy I thought I'd be able to give me son to play with without the worry of him breaking it, maybe I was wrong?

• 2 months later...
@TabbyBoy I also agreed quality isn't what is used to. I first noticed the colour inconsistency when building the GBHQ, the red blocks were two different shades, in all honestly if I hadn't have purchased direct from SAH I would have questioned it. It actually gave a more authentic look to the building exterior, but it was by luck not by design. But again, moving back to my older sets, the only marks the bricks have are teeth marks (I know, sorry but I was a kid) but there are certainly no cracks and as I say, these sets are 20-30 years old, and stored appallingly. All my new sets including my sons are stored nicely on display shelves which he gets down from time to time to play with. Some bricks have the odd crack, which is bad but literally all his minifigs are damaged. Most of his sets are SW so it's hard to comment if they are more prone to cracking, however I noticed a crack on his stay puft fig tonight. The shame is at present we're building the original DS and Cinda's castle, he loves playing with the figures whilst we're building but of late I'm worried to let him play with them, crazy really!! Lego was always the one toy I thought I'd be able to give me son to play with without the worry of him breaking it, maybe I was wrong?

I have collected personally since 2005, my collection mostly sits on display in my room, untouched once I have set them in their scenic snapshots. I have been revisiting some of my sets from say 2006 and I noticed consistent hairline fractures in the battle droid joints and other similar builds using those joints. For example the shutters on the late 2000s Jabba's Sail Barge, lego had to replace those for me because they were fracturing at the joint. I began inspecting other sets and I was ordering replacement parts so fast that TLG began requiring I give them a proof of purchase!!!!! I hope there is some movement to improve the quality of plastics used in the future.