White Baseplates

cubfan78

13 minutes ago, cubfan78 said:

I am going to put together a winter village this year and need some white baseplates. Any recommendations on a source for white baseplates? Any other suggestions for Winter Village layouts?

Last year I stocked up on 4x6 white plates from the PaB wall. If you have a LEGO B&M store nearby, that might be your best source. I think you can get over 50 of these plates in a large cup, making them ~$0.30 per piece.

Real 32x32 baseplates exist in White but are very expensive - $30 new and $17 used on BL per item. They were only ever in 3 sets from 2006-2007.

A 16x32 baseplate in White is slightly more common, having been in 9 sets, but still runs $6 for a used one and $11 for an new one on BL. The last time one was available in a retail set was in 2007 as well, though there were 2 MUJI (?) sets in 2010 that had these as well.

Using 4x6 white plates you need about 40 plates to cover the same area as a 32x32 does, so your cost is $12 (compare that with a used one for $17 on BL, plus shipping). Similarly, a 16x32 would set you back ~$6 in plates.

Of course you would need to join these plates somehow, but for that you could use regular baseplates, or whatever detailing you put into your scene.

19 minutes ago, kris_1973 said:

I think the closest you can get are 16x16 white plates from LEGO Bricks & Pieces (service.lego.com), but there might be other options.

Actually, if you can get your hands on the Pirates Chess Set, you get 4(!!!) of these 16x16 plates included, plus around 800 extra pieces including a whole load of minifigs. Might be your best way to get white plates, especially if it goes on sale again (currently selling @ $60 LEGO Shop at Home, but was on perennial sale for $48 earlier, and last year on BF it was 50% off in LEGO stores around the country - but they didn't last long).

I picked up a bunch of 16x16 white base plates for free at the TRU build 2 weeks ago. The one between the car and Frankenstein I think it was just build a tower and the white base plate was the foundation. I went after it was over and they gave me what was left. You can try asking at your TRU if they still have the elements since this was not a build and take event. 

12 hours ago, Phil B said:

Actually, if you can get your hands on the Pirates Chess Set, you get 4(!!!) of these 16x16 plates included, plus around 800 extra pieces including a whole load of minifigs. Might be your best way to get white plates, especially if it goes on sale again (currently selling @ $60 LEGO Shop at Home, but was on perennial sale for $48 earlier, and last year on BF it was 50% off in LEGO stores around the country - but they didn't last long).

Agreed.  Something we were thinking about, but wanted to wait for the price to go down. :)

You could always make your own base plate. I'm not talking spray painting one. You could use the MILS technique to make a raised base plate. That allows you to use whatever base color you have available and then use white plates for the "top" which becomes the base on which you have the rest of your LEGO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

You could always make your own base plate. I'm not talking spray painting one. You could use the MILS technique to make a raised base plate. That allows you to use whatever base color you have available and then use white plates for the "top" which becomes the base on which you have the rest of your LEGO.

I've resigned myself to this reality for my arctic scenes.  Just don't see white baseplates being produced again.  Great advice!

• Like 1

I've always wondered why lego doesn't release baseplate in more than the standard colours green, tan etc.

Seems like this time lego are leaving money on the table. I know several of my friends who would love to buy direct from lego instead make there own or buy from custom lego plate places 

Edited by Mhd747