New London Lego Shop Opening

thebrickdad

49 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

OK it was about 15 mins - but 15mins longer then i expected.  Given where its located I expect it to be pretty busy most of the time (not to the point of queuing to get in).  Heck they were even advertising hotel delivery.

Thanks

With a bit of luck we won't need to wait too long over weekend.

Guest TabbyBoy

I was with a mate coming back across London and we stopped off in Chinatown for dinner. After we'd eaten, we decided to pop into the new LEGO store and I only picked up a 40220 London Bus and a 21034 Architecture London which is exclusive to this store.... for now. Luckily, the queue was only 5min long and hardly any kids! I also got the parrot on the scratchcard. Promos were the small advent set, the toy soldier and the sodding parrot via scratchcard. The shop models were long gone!

Too be honest I was very surprised at how small the supposedly biggest LEGO store was so the others must be tiny! I wasn't that inspired to be honest and in no rush to visit another. I'm glad I went this evening as it was carnage this morning with some daft enough to queue for 8 hours before opening! I thought that only happens when a new iPhone is released.

If the 21034 isn't released elsewhere, this could become gold once sold out which is why I bought one. However, it's slated to be on general release next year so, I'll flip one next month and keep the other that my girlfriend will pick up for me next week.

Oh... lots of Indominous Rex on the shelves and I didn't see a single one being picked up. I was also surprised to see all the Retiring Soon sets there including one Pet Shop. Most of the sets I saw being bought were the London Skyline, Yellow Sub, WALL-E and London Bus.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
43 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Can't believe the price people want for the lester minifigs and can't believe Lego made it so limited every vistor should have been able to get one. 

Greed of course since it's the rarest minifig in a long time. It'd be interesting if any sell.

Guest TabbyBoy

I don't use FaceBook and never intent to but, I can only imagine what this greedy time-waster is asking. Lester was selling for between £50 and £100 cash outside the shop at the end of the queue as some have no idea of it's true value. The time to buy him is when eBay is flooded, prices drop and then just hang onto him for a while. That's what I did with Mr Gold and turned my £250 into £675 within a year!

23 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

It's hilarious that anyone on this site would think these people are greedy for selling their Lesters for as much as they possibly can.

I don't they're greedy if they're asking this much money for a Lester. It could be that they desperately need the money to buy retired LEGO sets from a reseller.

Personally, as much as I want a lester minifigure I would sell it if the price is that high. There are a few retired LEGO sets I'd pick over a single Lester minifigure (e.g. UCS Imperial Shuttle, Green Grocer, Café Corner).

14 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Can't believe the price people want for the lester minifigs and can't believe Lego made it so limited every vistor should have been able to get one. 

I read that the bowler hat used in this minifig hasn't been produced by LEGO since ages, and they could only scrounge up a total of 275 of those bowler hats from the Lego vaults. So they could only create a total of 275 of these Lester minifigs and hand them out through a lottery system. That's why this minifig is so limited and rare...

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
37 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

It's hilarious that anyone on this site would think these people are greedy for selling their Lesters for as much as they possibly can.

It just wastes everybody's time when an item is listed at a price that nobody in 1,000,000 years will bite at. I started my Mr Gold at 1p with no reserve and the market decided it's fair value. That's the problem with free listing, it allows the timewasters to list. I only list a BIN item at a price around what it's already sold for. An unsold item only creates more work and disappointment.

My main concern with highly inflated asking prices is the risk that LEGO may crack down on reselling their products. I know because Claber took me to court when I was reselling their garden equipment at above RRP - they won!

54 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I don't think they are greedy.  Good luck to them if they can get the money. Even as someone who had paid over the odds for some older UCS sets i just can't understand a value of > £2000 gbp for a single minifigure, then again I'm still amazed people pay £25 for one fig.

I really think the fault lies with Lego here. Yes, make a minifig that is only available at that store on release day but make sure there's enough for everyone who visits the store on day 1 to get one. 

It would still be rare just not inaccesibly rare for most minifig collectors 1 day after release. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I don't think they are greedy.  Good luck to them if they can get the money. Even as someone who had paid over the odds for some older UCS sets i just can't understand a value of > £2000 gbp for a single minifigure, then again I'm still amazed people pay £25 for one fig.

I really think the fault lies with Lego here. Yes, make a minifig that is only available at that store on release day but make sure there's enough for everyone who visits the store on day 1 to get one. 

It would still be rare just not inaccesibly rare for most minifig collectors 1 day after release. 

I just feel sorry for @Jeff Mack and @Ed Mack ... their book hasn't been out for a full month yet and they need to rewrite it already .....

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Haay said:

I read that the bowler hat used in this minifig hasn't been produced by LEGO since ages, and they could only scrounge up a total of 275 of those bowler hats from the Lego vaults. So they could only create a total of 275 of these Lester minifigs and hand them out through a lottery system. That's why this minifig is so limited and rare...

I've seen this reason before, but it seems kind of weak. Unless that hat is different than the typical bowler, that was produced in 2014 so it's not like it's a mold from the 80s. I'm surprised how cheap TLG is sometimes.  You're opening a flagship store, break the bank and have a factory make you 5,000 $.01 bowler hats.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I've seen this reason before, but it seems kind of weak. Unless that hat is different than the typical bowler, that was produced in 2014 so it's not like it's a mold from the 80s. I'm surprised how cheap TLG is sometimes.  You're opening a flagship store, break the bank and have a factory make you 5,000 $.01 bowler hats.  

Maybe the mould broke. :smile:

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

There's a sold listing  at £2500 on eBay. Just waiting for the post in the What Lego did you sell today thread :lol:

I'd be surprised if that transaction went through. Figures in green on eBay are to be taken with an even smaller pinch of salt than a statement from a LEGO employee. Anyway, good luck to them if they pocketed £2500. I'm more than happy with the dodgy deal that was done at the back of the queue last night!

I now wished that I stood outside with a banner saying "£75 cash paid on the spot for every Lester minfig!"

Edited by TabbyBoy

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

My main concern with highly inflated asking prices is the risk that LEGO may crack down on reselling their products. I know because Claber took me to court when I was reselling their garden equipment at above RRP - they won!

Do any of the freebie limited sets (such as SDCC, store opening minifigs or other limited prize giveaways) have an actual RRP? I don't see that Lester does as he's never been sold as a retail item.