$4500 Star Wars Lot (incl. 10179)

kunfuzd

IMHO at $2500 there's money to be made there, but unless you have allot of "free" time (as in you wouldn't mind spending allot of time/weeks searching & building for the fun of it) it wouldn't show significant returns for anything over $3000 investment.

parts will be missing, maybe the most valuable ones, never for shipping (always pick up CL listings in-person)...   helps if you have reliable youngsters to farm-out the build process too.

It's definitely a lot of work.  You'd have to check for the biggies that are necessary to build a 10179.  Radar dish, name plate, antennas, and a couple of other parts.  You'd want proof that those costly pieces are there before laying out any cash for this.

Then there's the time effort.  I'd offer about $2000 to $2500, because of the work involved.  If they want to get 10179 money, they'd need to spend the money inventorying it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy the sorting process, and have a pretty solid system down. At $1800 that's a no brainer for me. But be aware you'll likely invest at least 100 hours sorting and inventorying, let alone building to take photos to list individually. No question, if you're paying yourself by the hour, you won't make much money. If you do this as a hobby, you'll be vastly rewarded with a bunch of sweet builds, and definitely make some money on it. I like bulk lots though, made my best money on them, so maybe I'm biased. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Something must be wrong with that lot for it to still be available.  I would pounce on that in a heartbeat if it was in good shape and I was in the area.  Those lots a lot of fun and the sorting honestly wouldn't be that bad if the Falcon and Death Star are for the most part separated. 

It's kind of a slow for Lego in this area... 
Looks like he may have sold a few already, like the AT-AT...

$1800 alone for the MF is right in the ballpark of what they're going for... maybe even on the lower end of it. Everything else after the 10179 is just gravy on top. Depends what your target margin is. I expect with an effort and some patience you're easily looking at 100% return after all fees.