60050 - Train Station

nolanfan34

Mods, if this doesn't merit a thread, feel free to move.

This is less about investment (although this is a good set I think for the discounts people are getting it at), and more about building.

Anyone else built this? We popped one open tonight, and instead of 4 straight track pieces, it included 4 sets of 4. So 16 total. That is weird right? Or based on the piece count do they always represent 4 pieces that way in the instructions?

44 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Wow, you got lucky! This set comes with 4 pieces of track, not 4x4. Straight track is worth about $2-$3 per piece, so you've got your station for free there assuming you purchased for ~$40 in one of the recent sales.

It wasn't recent, but that is about right. Really weird. I Can't remember seeing an error like that in an opened set. Thanks for confirming both of you!

18 minutes ago, TheGallows said:

Love this little set. Starting to wish I'd got more of these. Marked as retiring soon its pretty much dried up in major retailers here and now hard to find a decent discount. I think this will do well, every train needs a station... of course there's the chance of a remake at some point.

Just like there is always a city police station / fire Truck / train, nowadays there is always a train station. Nothing has been announced about a new train station yet, but judging by previous train station releases one should be coming by mid next year, it wouldn't make sense for lego to repeat city high speed train / cargo train each year without a train station as everyone needs that in their city.

Also investment wise unless the set is very unique, it will never do more than 1-1.5 RRP if lucky, as most people will just buy the new station. However as there has been lots of 3 for 2 this could have been picked up for approx 50%, but it depends if you want to invest in this which you know will be limited returns, or other better sets.

I'm personally going to avoid city trains & stations unless a unique one comes along as the only real way to make money from city trains is by parting out and I can't be bothered doing that frankly. 

Here are previous sets with uk retirement dates taken from brickset:

7997: Train Station 

24 Oct 07 - 25 Oct 09

7937: Train Station 

04 Jun 10 - 02 Dec 13

60050: Train Station 

01 Jun 14 - 23 Nov 16

I wouldn't compare the train station to the Police / Fire HQ.

There are not that many train stations to choose from. Assuming you have multiple trains, it isn't all that unlikely you'd want multiple (different) train stations.

No doubt there's a new one coming, but as long as it's different enough from this one, people will still want this.

28 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Just like there is always a city police station / fire Truck / train, nowadays there is always a train station. Nothing has been announced about a new train station yet, but judging by previous train station releases one should be coming by mid next year, it wouldn't make sense for lego to repeat city high speed train / cargo train each year without a train station as everyone needs that in their city.

Also investment wise unless the set is very unique, it will never do more than 1-1.5 RRP if lucky, as most people will just buy the new station. However as there has been lots of 3 for 2 this could have been picked up for approx 50%, but it depends if you want to invest in this which you know will be limited returns, or other better sets.

I'm personally going to avoid city trains & stations unless a unique one comes along as the only real way to make money from city trains is by parting out and I can't be bothered doing that frankly. 

Here are previous sets with uk retirement dates taken from brickset:

7997: Train Station 

24 Oct 07 - 25 Oct 09

7937: Train Station 

04 Jun 10 - 02 Dec 13

60050: Train Station 

01 Jun 14 - 23 Nov 16

Yeah but 4 years for a re-make is absolutely fine... these are really becoming hard to to find now. TRU tesco asda JL argos have all sold out. Amazon and SAH have them at rrp.

Got these in the 3-4-2 earlier in the year, think they were about 50% off total. Just checked my brickfolio and there not in there... oops.

Just now, TheGallows said:

Yeah but 4 years for a re-make is absolutely fine... these are really becoming hard to to find now. TRU tesco asda JL argos have all sold out. Amazon and SAH have them at rrp.

Got these in the 3-4-2 earlier in the year, think they were about 50% off total. Just checked my brickfolio and there not in there... oops.

It's not really years for a remake as as soon as of each gets retired 6 months afterwards a new one gets released. By all means if you think there is some potential on the set then go for it, I personally rather spend money elsewhere.

There has been some sort of train station since 2003, only time there isn't one is few months period once retired and new one comes out. The recent train station isn't unique and will be heavily stocked by all.

My 2 cents

12 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

It's not really years for a remake as as soon as of each gets retired 6 months afterwards a new one gets released. By all means if you think there is some potential on the set then go for it, I personally rather spend money elsewhere.

There has been some sort of train station since 2003, only time there isn't one is few months period once retired and new one comes out. The recent train station isn't unique and will be heavily stocked by all.

My 2 cents

What makes you say these are heavily stock pilled by all? I would have thought the opposite.

Well I only have 3 (one of which i'm keeping) No chance to get these at a really decent price now so I wont be getting any more. These are selling for £45 ebay so I'm not worried.

I'll try and sell next year for 1.5 rrp.

• 2 weeks later...

This set has been a pleasant surprise for me this year.  In spring I figured at would retire this year.  Started to see it clear out at most retailers around $41 each. When Target started running out this summer, I went in deep... bought 12 sets here and there (way more than my typical investment)... discounts, etc, got me to an average $34 each. Then every retailer had them again... everybody selling at $40 or so... this continued through the summer, fall, and into mid November... plenty of stock... then I read the comments above about there being a new train station every couple years, how this must be well stocked by resellers, limited upside, etc... I felt like a fool for having so many of these.

Then a week or two ago, stocks dried up... Amazon ran out... and I had the buy box at about $85 - $88... sold every one of them for about $21 profit (62%). Maybe it's all the discounts on the Passenger Train and Cargo Train driving up demand? I couldn't be more surprised.  Did I sell them too soon?  There's still a few on TRU shelves out there... with promos maybe $47 each (give or take). Should I buy more?  I'm leaning towards "no"... take the chips, and get up from the table.

6 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

This set has been a pleasant surprise for me this year.  In spring I figured at would retire this year.  Started to see it clear out at most retailers around $41 each. When Target started running out this summer, I went in deep... bought 12 sets here and there (way more than my typical investment)... discounts, etc, got me to an average $34 each. Then every retailer had them again... everybody selling at $40 or so... this continued through the summer, fall, and into mid November... plenty of stock... then I read the comments above about there being a new train station every couple years, how this must be well stocked by resellers, limited upside, etc... I felt like a fool for having so many of these.

Then a week or two ago, stocks dried up... Amazon ran out... and I had the buy box at about $85 - $88... sold every one of them for about $21 profit (62%). Maybe it's all the discounts on the Passenger Train and Cargo Train driving up demand? I couldn't be more surprised.  Did I sell them too soon?  There's still a few on TRU shelves out there... with promos maybe $47 each (give or take). Should I buy more?  I'm leaning towards "no"... take the chips, and get up from the table.

I think you did well.

Somehow I can never buy another of the same set when it is more expensive than the ones I bought (and sold) earlier. The lowest buy-in is my reference point for possible future purchases.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 02/12/2016 at 12:04 PM, Mhd747 said:

My 2 cents

up to £110 on amazon now.. jus sayin ;)