Purchase Thread of Shame

Phil B

Gents, keep it on topic :) Looking for people to share purchases they willingly made, for reasons they are ashamed of or in themes they are ashamed to confess purchasing. Not looking for purchases that were made for investment reasons and turned to the turd-side - there is a Buyer's Remorse thread for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've now decided to NOT complete my Cussoo/Ideas collection as I just refuse to pay through the nose for anything, ie. Shinkai Sub! Also several are possible turkeys as follows:

21102 - Minecraft Forest (Peaked when out of stock and then bombed after EOL, spoiled by Microsoft?)

21109 - Exo Suit (Did this ever reach RRP on the secondary market? A superb set so why so universally detested?)

21302 - TBBT (What was the point of this? Dreadfully boring show!)

21305 - Unpopular since it's a game but, bits could do OK on Bricklink?

The others currently available have got potential as occasional selling over RRP is a good indicator. The only negative is the vast quantities produced and hoarded.

What would you do when you would already own the Shinkai?

(Last question before going back to the main topic of this thread)

Guest TabbyBoy

I bought a Lester minifig while I was in the queue outside the new London store as I overheard a naive bloke who won one saying, "I could get a couple of hundred quid for this!" - and so he did but, a little extra. I gladly handed over £500 cash and flipped it the next day to a collector for over £1000 profit. The embarrassing thing was lots of people in the queue turning around wondering what the Hell was going on while I was dishing out £50 notes willy-nilly and even the cute Korean girl in front of me took a photo (I'm infamous not famous!). The LEGO lady outside smiled and said, "I saw you... you're not the first and won't be the last!"

Last answer...

@Mauro23 - I won't own a Shinkai as I flatly refuse to be ripped off by a reseller ;-) An incomplete theme is like a dog with 3 legs, it won't perform well.

Edited by TabbyBoy

This is a great thread!!!
I bought a few pet shops, T1, and tumblers when everyone else did and they take up soooo much room.

I also got some of the elves sets at discount and now that's their normal price.
We have been using them a birthday gifts so long I have to make sure the same kid does not get the same one each year :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil B said:

Gents, keep it on topic :) Looking for people to share purchases they willingly made, for reasons they are ashamed of or in themes they are ashamed to confess purchasing. Not looking for purchases that were made for investment reasons and turned to the turd-side - there is a Buyer's Remorse thread for that.

I'm not sure buying something for your kids is reason to be ashamed, kids have poor taste and decision making skills, I have a couple Chima sets to prove that and some Nexo Knights, which is a better show by miles.

Exo Suit - Not sure why I bought one of these to build, I hate mechs and this one has so many pieces that can break off, it's a pain for the kids to play with.

Pirates of the Caribbean - not the "cool" ships, but I've bought 4181, 4183, 4192, and 4193 just to build.

Lone Ranger - I haven't built these yet, but I have held a couple back with that intent.  I didn't enjoy the movie, but I wanted some cowboys and indians.

The Maze - I'm not ashamed of this one at all, but after reading this thread, maybe I should be.  I thought it was an awesome set that promoted the whole rebuilding idea of Lego.

I think the only purchase for personal build that I've regretted is the Classic 60's Batcave. It never interested me that much but i bought it because it was on a really good offer and I'd ran out of things to build.  Suffice to say I built it, realised why i didn't really want it in the first place, then parted it out.

Must not buy Lego just because I'm bored. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salimr said:

so long I have to make sure the same kid does not get the same one each year :)

I have a tab in my Excel inventory tracker dedicated to noting which sets we give to which kids, in order to not repeat.

And, maybe 10 years down the line ask them, "so.... do you still have that 75XXX set we gave you in 2015?"

2 hours ago, rpaulson7 said:

I have a tab in my Excel inventory tracker dedicated to noting which sets we give to which kids, in order to not repeat.

And, maybe 10 years down the line ask them, "so.... do you still have that 75XXX set we gave you in 2015?"

I wish TLG would do the same!