Ideas #016: 21308 - Adventure Time

HandyHand

On 2.12.2016 at 6:34 PM, Phil B said:

I know IDEAS sets always get printed pieces (have yet to encounter a sticker in an IDEAS set), but in this case I wished they were stickers, especially the ones on the rarer colored bricks such as sand green and sand blue.

Well, if you're lucky it'll have stickers like TBBT.

I love the show, I was thrilled for an AT Ideas set and when I saw the picture of the set I was "ew". I was waiting for this set to get the minifigures but now I'm sticking to the Dimensions ones. I kind of get it where they wanted to go but this is just lazy, lazy work. At least give some extra pieces to do different faces and get Jack (he's a metamorphic) to change shape and whatnot.

I love the show, I was thrilled for an AT Ideas set and when I saw the picture of the set I was "ew". I was waiting for this set to get the minifigures but now I'm sticking to the Dimensions ones. I kind of get it where they wanted to go but this is just lazy, lazy work. At least give some extra pieces to do different faces and get Jack (he's a metamorphic) to change shape and whatnot.

I get why they went with the brick built submission - that's what gained 10,000 supporters. Not the stuff that ended up in Dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Haay said:

Funny how The Brick Show is usually extremely enthusiastic about virtually every set they review, but really muted and holding back about this set.

I guess it's their way of saying: this set is a piece of CR@P ! :P 

So that means it'll outperform the maze?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the sad things I like to do to gauge interest in some sets is that some online shops let you add the max amount available in their inventory to your basket. I usually add the max amount and come back after a couple days to gauge progress and see how many have sold.

For this exercise I use John lewis. They let you add the max amount for most regular sets but have now restricted the amount you can buy for Exclusives / some popular sets (Beatles sub / volkswagen t1 etc) at 10 ) so doesn't work on them any longer.

So to run through some numbers, lego batman Joker escape (sells approx 20 a day) is the fastest seller from batman movie sets, followed by Penguin car (10-15).

Everytime I check this set either it has sold 0 or only 1 after a couple of days / week. This is very very poor. Now I know the above method isn't fool proof but it's a one way to check indication on how popular an item is from a very well known UK retailer.

Compared with the maze, that was a great set and what lego creativity is all about. That set was not restricted to a single type of age group or genre fans.

This a tough set to judge, as it will be a very very slow seller, but it will be understocked compared to other sets (until the retiring soon tags come on). 

Cartoon Network has announced that Adventure Time will be ending after the ninth season finishes in 2018. So it won't be on TV so there won't be a constant reminder of people this show is still around, but nowadays that doesn't really mean much with netflix / amazon video etc. The show still has a loyal fan Base, set is pretty certain to not be re-released, will be "hoarded" not as much compared to others, but there will be a smaller buyer market for it. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
18 hours ago, Val-E said:

I think this set will make Exo Suit look like Mars Rover. Having said that, a good buy in will help and it did have a short life.

Bad news is it can still be found easily.

All retiring sets can be very easily found. However, I have a feeling that the Exo Suit will still reap rewards for the patient. The maze wasn't popular, but did well.