21023 - Flatiron Building

dcdfan

This appears to finally be gone from most retailers. My expectations aren't as high for this set as with the other Architecture recently retiring soon sets but hopefully, its shorter lifespan will help. Anyway, it's only currently available online from B&N & back orderable from LEGO Shop at Home.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Flatiron-Building-21023

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-lego-architecture-flatiron-21023/28514920?ean=0673419232180

Edited by dcdfan

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It is a rare thing indeed these days for a set to have a thread opened just as it retires!

Flatiron has not had a long life but it was heavily discounted and I am not sure how demand will be post EOL in Europe.

Probably quite good as the 21007 Rockefeller Center (correct spelling is centre) has done very well.

3 hours ago, kahuka said:

Tons of these in the wild at B&N--in fact all the potential Architecture retirees except Lincoln Memorial.

I picked up two Lincolns at a b&n this past weekend. Picked up two leaning towers at the same time.  They also had flatiron and White Houses but I've hit my quotas on those.

New b&n opening today a couple of miles from me today, but online stock check indicates they may only have stocked new items. But going to check today anyways to see what minty fresh sets they have in stock.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

New b&n opening today a couple of miles from me today, but online stock check indicates they may only have stocked new items. But going to check today anyways to see what minty fresh sets they have in stock.  

My guess: Three skylines, Louvre, Capitol, Buckingham, Burj. Anything else would surprise me. That seems like enough sets to keep on the shelf for the coming year with the three new skylines and Guggenheim redo.

10 minutes ago, kahuka said:

My guess: Three skylines, Louvre, Capitol, Buckingham, Burj. Anything else would surprise me. That seems like enough sets to keep on the shelf for the coming year with the three new skylines and Guggenheim redo.

Well, if they have appointed Stalin as product manager for Architecture you might be right. I still think they will keep Eiffel and S1 Skylines.

33 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Probably quite good as the 21007 Rockefeller Center (correct spelling is centre) has done very well.

Well, Flatiron is radically less "iconic" than the Center.  On the other hand, both sets are small and ugly, so maybe Flatiron will do just as well.  I confess to seeing no aesthetic appeal in any of the Architecture sets, except maybe the Capitol Building (but in my mind, it would be filled with micro-scale politicians, so I'd probably scrap it for pieces post haste).

Just now, Val-E said:

Well, if they have appointed Stalin as product manager for Architecture you might be right. I still think they will keep Eiffel and S1 Skylines.

Lego could do worse.  Stalin would never have approved Nexo Knights.  The old boy was evil, but he wasn't stupid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Val-E said:

Too damn high considerig it was half price at SAH. You really need 50% off to be able to take the risk on the US landmarks in Europe, no one is interested.

That could be why I didn't buy any! I've been to NY several times and never heard of the building until it became a LEGO set ;-) The only US landmarks with a chance in Europe are the LM and the WH.

49 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

That could be why I didn't buy any! I've been to NY several times and never heard of the building until it became a LEGO set ;-) The only US landmarks with a chance in Europe are the LM and the WH.

dont feel bad, its not really a "US" landmark either.  Only people who know about it, are those that are familiar with NYC landmarks, or have studied modern architecture.  much like villa savoy, farnsworth and the robie house, this is for the hard core architecture fans.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

I still see these at random Books-a-Million stores... with a 20% off coupon, can be picked up for $32 + tax... worth it?  I don't get to B&N much... can you still find them there?  Anywhere else?

I can tell you in the Northeast, I find them at some random B&N as well as other book stores still at full retail.  It's worth it if you want to build them all but in terms of investment, jury is still out. It could be another Brandenburg Gate.  I'm fond of the Architecture series though so I'd go for it if I already didn't have 2 of the Flatirons.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have a few.  I missed out on Brandeburg ;) . Still, I like this set.  I think it is better executed than most.  When I walk by these on the selves and leave them there... I kinda feel the same way I felt when I walked by those 21009 Farnsworths a couple years ago...

• Like 2