31058 - Mighty Dinosaurs

TheOrcKing

LEGO offering varying color options for sets is intriguing especially in the case of their Creator line meant to stimulate, well, creativity. Depending on what all hues will be made available, one could build all three models included with each being a different color. Then afterwards you have a good selection of pieces to go nuts and build anything with. Or just pick the color you like best from the bunch. Some random builder thoughts.

Regarding investing, this variety in color seems a bit much of a gamble trying to hedge a bet across all choices hoping at least one will see desirability in the afterlife assuming the build itself will become wanted post retirement. I could see someone selling one of each together as a lot like a full color pack and promote it as such. "Build all the models! In every color! Great selection of parts!" I don't know. Used car salesmen pitch that s**t. Haha.

I see this more of a setup for sellers of individual pieces (part outers) over reselling the set as a whole. Also this dinosaur has been out for close to five years. Good grief.

2 hours ago, Sozial said:

I dearly hope so!

Last year, the set sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 175k units on Amazon in the U.S.  When you factor in the number that were sold through Lego.com, Walmart.com, Target.com, BestBuy.com, all of the independent dealers, and all of the thousands of big box brick & mortar stores (Walmart, Target, Meier, etc.), this is a set that has enormous appeal and sells in huge volumes.  Resellers would have to be buying this set in enormous volumes to make any kind of waves that would be noticed by TLG and I don't think that there are enough resellers with access to the sources that would be needed to buy this set in those kind of volumes.

• Like 2