What do you do with empty boxes?

cubfan78

Just like it says. I have a bunch of empty boxes from the sets I have built over the last month. They are now starting to pile out and getting a little out of control. I have no plans to resell any of the built sets and not sure I want to store them for the next 20 plus years. Not to mention the boxes from future builds. Is there any reason I should just not through them in the recycle bin? 

If these are from expensive sets, and you don't want to sell them one-by-one, why not put them up as a lot on CL and see if a fellow reseller wants to pick the whole lot up cheap? I have no clue how much interest there is in boxes, but you should be able to sell a whole bunch for cheap to someone who does sell boxes....

I wanted to keep all my boxes. 100+ sets later and still 100+ sets not open you realize you don't have space. I threw all mine away. Freed up a lot of space. If the set is UCS or "expert" big set I kept the boxes for those and kept a few smaller boxes in them. I've seen people break them down, flat like a pancake and put them under beds and dressers and such. If it's for personal and you don't care about the boxes just give them away or throw them away.

• Like 1

For anyone that keeps the boxes and has resold them with the sets down the line.... does it matter if they've been flattened? I'm in a similar position to the OP... I've got a large shelf space taken up by all my modular and UCS boxes, and its a whole bunch of dead air space that my actual investments could/should be living in. I've just been hesitant to flatten them, even though selling the sets they belong to isn't currently on the cards, it might be one day. Are we talking any significant value loss? Would I be better off selling the boxes separately now, uncollapsed, and then if/when I sell the sets sell them with my (mint never opened) instructions and set only? 

For anyone that keeps the boxes and has resold them with the sets down the line.... does it matter if they've been flattened?

Flattening the box now just means cutting 2 more seals. I can't imagine that reduces the value appreciably.

If you choose to sell individual boxes don't underestimate the pain that shipping will be. Your customers may bawk at shipping costs. As mentioned by others local sales might make more sense.

Store them all together flat. Pop them back up if you sell later and include instructions. Sealed instructions might be attractive, but more just having them in good condition. Stickers not applied could be significant.

Personally, I'd consider nabbing a new sticker sheet now for current sets that you think you would sell later. Sheets for the Porsche are higher, but most current sets that are parted out you can get inexpensively now.

Watch the dust bunnies if you go under the bed. :-)
  • Like 2

Selling a used set with a box does make a difference on ebay, for a normal set (not exclusive, UCS etc) you are probably looking at a difference in price between 5-10%. For rare sets like UCS MF, taj mahal boxes / instructions alone can sell for between  £50 to 100+

Some buyers prefer paying more for listings with boxes/instructions  as it gives the impression that seller has taken care of set (even though this may not be true).

Some prefer original stickers aswell, and they also go for big bucks themselves, but nowadays you can get non original stickers pretty cheaper in ebay (whether it is right / wrong to buy non original stickers is another issue).

For used sets I personally keep all original boxes / instructions and even the plastic bags lol. I don't keep the stickers as I rather put them on the set, I know i can get money for them but you shouldn't think of money all the time when the whole point of lego is to build it.

If you have the space keep the boxes, definitely keep the instructions. If you dont have space for boxes its not a big problem as you'll still get money for your sets l.

• Like 2

Totally agree with@Mhd747

Just to clarify my remark re:stickers. Go ahead and apply stickers. Have fun. My suggestion was pointed at that if you know you might resell consider getting a new sheet now. Removing the applied stickers to resell later should work. Warm soapy water and maybe some rubbing alcohol for residue (not aggressive solvents). Depending on light exposure bricks might 'show' where the sticker was.

I don't have a ton of experience with moving old used sets. Maybe someone wants to weigh in on old sticker removal and dis-colorization.

• Like 1

I toss 90% of my boxes. Only keep the boxes from sets that are either special or could become something down the road. E.g. Some boxes from 2000-2010 sell for over $100 alone.

With regards to the kept boxes, I either store them flat or keep them "as it" and store bagged used sets in them. Every inch of space counts :)

I keep every single one, and we make sure it's well taken care of and the instructions are preserved.  Like some have already mentioned, used retired sets with boxes and instructions and all the pieces/minis etc still intact are going to go for more money than sets that aren't complete..  I always have it in my mind, that while some of these sets are great, and get my sons attention now, there's going to be a point in the future, we will want to part with a few of these..

The open sets that my son and I have open and on shelves, we "russian doll" the boxes.  It's amazing how many boxes you can store inside other boxes.  For example, let's say you are collecting the Rogue One theme - well, you could russian doll sets like the AT-ST, and Imperial Hover Tank inside Krennics Imperial Ship... then when you get the battle packs, russian doll those inside the AT-ST.  Over time, you have a couple boxes that I then put in bigger boxes, and those are stashed away. One 20x20x20 box can store about 5 of those bigger sets (like the T1, Kylo's Shuttle, Krennics Imperial Shuttle, etc) come in.  And inside those boxes, you can store a lot of the smaller boxes.  I have stored our open collection that way..

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 2

Thank you for all the replies! After looking at the different responses and really thinking about why I should or should not keep these boxes, I have made a decision. I have decided to just put them in the recycle bin. While I could probably get a little money for my empty boxes on CL, I feel it is not worth time or effort to post them, nor do I care to deal with people from CL. I am just a builder, not an investor and plan on having these sets for the rest of my life. If the time comes and I need to get rid of them, I will either give them to my kids or grandkids (if there are some) If they don't have any interest in them, then I will just donate them. I am really trying to declutter my life a bit and keeping these boxes are just cause more angst than I care for right now. 

Thanks again for the suggestions.

• Like 2