17101 - LEGO Boost

joch29

So far, we know that the LEGO Boost works with (beyond the initial pack):

70625 - Ninjago Stormbringer (Fall 2018 release)
10261 - Roller Coaster (May 2018 release)
60194 - Arctic Scout Truck (May 2018 release)

Some info on the extended features of Boost, as it interacts with the Stormbringer:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ninjago-lego-boost-set,news-26635.html

Using Boost's standard system of block-based programming, we were able to make the dragon move its head and roar by launching one set set of code. 

Other blocks of code enable the color sensor to detect which minfigure you place on top of the dragon. Placing the black-robed ninja on top of the dragon caused it to perform a set of motions while the blue-robed ninja was set to cause different actions.

Lego said that the Ninjago Stormbringer will also be able to respond to being petted, answer questions when it detects a voice and fire missiles. The company did not have a demo of the Lego City set, which will work with Boost, and didn't have many details about it.

There's video of it in action on that site.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first reviews are in, and they are quite raving!

Lego Boost is a generally easy to use, yet deceptively powerful Lego-based robot building and programming system.

http://mashable.com/2017/07/25/lego-boost-review/#I3ivL4WdMqqF

The best robot/STEM kit we've seen for younger children, Lego Boost provides turns coding into a game that's so much fun your kids won't even know that they're gaining valuable skills. Because it uses real Legos, Boost also invites a lot of creativity and replayability, and at $159, it's practically a steal.

Rating it 9/10: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/lego-boost,review-4538.html

The best Lego kit for the holidays (if you're up for some robotics)

I love Lego Boost. It sucked me in, and its five or so main challenges are more than worth the price. Then there's all the extra stuff, which I've barely scratched the surface on: extra challenges, all the free-form block-based programming, and the chance to just take the Lego pieces and be creative.

Rating it 8/10: https://www.cnet.com/products/lego-boost/review/2/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Something is wrong with the packaging, I found today seals popped off from each side of the box, I know the Lego used completely new grammage with sand paper effect finish on the box. Just found the issue and it's odd, now I'm gonna have to seal the box again before I send it to my friends in Poland ( last country in the world with release date with launch mid september )

just FYI. I have two boxes ready to ship and both of them are full open from both sides :o

20170825_122817.jpg

• 8 months later...

60194 - Arctic Scout Truck (May 2018 release)

Some info on the extended features of Boost, as it interacts with the Stormbringer:

Using Boost's standard system of block-based programming, we were able to make the dragon move its head and roar by launching one set set of code. 

Other blocks of code enable the color sensor to detect which minfigure you place on top of the dragon. Placing the black-robed ninja on top of the dragon caused it to perform a set of motions while the blue-robed ninja was set to cause different actions.

Lego said that the Ninjago Stormbringer will also be able to respond to being petted, answer questions when it detects a voice and fire missiles. The company did not have a demo of the Lego City set, which will work with Boost, and didn't have many details about it.

• 10 months later...
32 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Some LEGO City set (unannounced)

The City set is known - it´s 60194 from the Arctic subtheme.

71opX0AtXaL._SL1000_.jpg?

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 2

It would also be coherent to incorporate Boost in the new train sets to provide sound effects and personalisable speed/route options, especially as they will use the new PFs.

RC Batmobile could also be a contender and next year they will probably migrate Technic to the same new PF standard.

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

It would also be coherent to incorporate Boost in the new train sets to provide sound effects and personalisable speed/route options, especially as they will use the new PFs.

RC Batmobile could also be a contender and next year they will probably migrate Technic to the same new PF standard.

I think those are safe bets.  I'm already thinking about how the Boost might be incorporated to run the Carousel I recently picked up.  LEGO could easily add sounds to the sound library, and it looks like it *might* have the capability to add custom sounds as well.

6 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I think those are safe bets.  I'm already thinking about how the Boost might be incorporated to run the Carousel I recently picked up.  LEGO could easily add sounds to the sound library, and it looks like it *might* have the capability to add custom sounds as well.

Creator Expert Ice Cream van incoming!

I guess they could also add it to the next City Firestation to provide sound effects.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...