40174 - LEGO Chess

Voltron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple, playable, all fits into its own case for storage and each playing piece is recognizable. It certainly could be more flashy or unique but they have already done so with every prior minifigure centered designs which are great to gaze upon yet tricky to move around easily for the game and trying to remember who was what character.

5 hours ago, Haay said:

It's got 1450 bricks, and costs $54.99 (US), £45.99 in the UK, and €54,99 / €59,99 (Germany / Netherlands respectively) in Europe.

That makes a pretty good price per brick ratio with a nice collection of tiles and interesting/useful bricks as well.

1450 bricks for 55€ sounds very attractive. If this set is exclusive to LEGO stores and LEGO Shop at Home it'll be a great way to qualify for promotional items in the future.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 10:08 PM, TabbyBoy said:

Am I the only chess player here?

Nope. Count me in. This is the sort of chess set I've been looking for from TLG, though to honest, I sort of which they would have gone all-in on pure black/white or maybe something like sand green/crimson. I'm not a huge fan of the color combo for the pieces. 

8 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I love Chess sets and this one seems like a deal.  I like the Checkers option.

i enjoy how this set looks compared to the pirates one.  the piece storage option sold me.

since my son plays chess, i'm going to sell his opened pirates set and buy this once on-sale or there is a good promo.

Guest TabbyBoy

I've got one and it's fantastic, simply the best LEGO chess set ever made. In fact it's the "only" LEGO chess set ever made! If any LEGO chess set is going to reach 2x, it has to be this one. Again... I did NOT buy to invest ;-)

I need to run the arithmetic yet, but at first look it appears to be a very appealing part-out set...

Based on Bricklink's "average sale price past 6 months", looks like this set could make $112 profit ($168 gross) on a $56 buy-in.

HOWEVER, the average prices of these parts are likely to trend downward pretty rapidly as folks ****** some up for their parts stores. Also noteworthy is almost $40 of that gross comes from Design ID 26604 - which appears to be either new or previously very scarce, and that should drop rapidly.

So my instinct tells me a $56 buy in here could reasonably be parted out to double your money. Of course, you'd be looking at several hours of sorting/listing, but could be a profitable endeavor if you grabbed a dozen of these (so you gain efficiencies in sorting)...

A year ago I'd have been all over that, but I'm trying to liquidate my existing inventory as it is, so somebody with more time on their hands is welcome to it. Heck, I'll even shoot ya my spreadsheet with the full inventory, annotated with BL values, profit margins per piece, etc.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I've got one and it's fantastic, simply the best LEGO chess set ever made. In fact it's the "only" LEGO chess set ever made! If any LEGO chess set is going to reach 2x, it has to be this one. Again... I did NOT buy to invest ;-)

I guess that's a matter of opinion.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?G=852293#T=S&O={}

• Like 1

[mention=68594]AirborneAFOL[/mention] around how much to swap out the blue and dark red and make this all B&W including the sides of the board? 
I am impatiently waiting until 2/16 Disco Batman promo to order mine from LEGO Shop at Home but wouldn't mind having the mod pieces ready. 

I didn't look at the actual build design, just the piece count/value. But if you pull up the set on Bricklink, they've got the complete part inventory. That'll give you the design id's & total quantities for whichever pieces it is you're talking about that would need to be subbed - and from there its easy enough to figure the mod cost.

So long as you're not subbing out the dark grey 16x16 plates or tan "brick 1x1 stud on 2 adjacent sides", my hunch is the mod cost could be done for as little as $10. Only a few rare/expensive bricks in the set - about 90% of them are pretty standard (the type most of us probably already have plenty on hand, or sell for ~$0.05/pc on BL).
  • Like 1